• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 1 Grail
4 4

120 posts in this topic

This has been in the owner's gallery since 2007, so I doubt they're giving it up anytime soon. This issue knocked me out when I was a kid, and this page in particular knocked the air out of me. I even wrote a letter about the issue and got it published!

Whatif006p22v2.jpg

I had a holy original art grail that for 15 years I had hoped to find but never expected it would happen. Then one day in the back of some out of the way random comic shop there it was. Although it was not for sale, I left the shop owner with an offer anyhow.   Eventually time passed and he contacted me and we did the deal. The thing is for me the moment it was in my possession all other comic art, comics and related collectibles lost a significant interest to me. While I am glad, nay blessed, to have the item museum framed on my home office wall, I do miss the good ol' days when my interest was higher in comic art.  In effect the day i got my the holy grail top of the mountain was reached and for me at least no where to go but down

Edited by 35CentEra

On 2017-12-21 at 12:28 PM, SquareChaos said:

Sorry, but I always struggle not to post my favorite Liefeld image in these situations.

enchantress.jpg

Oh dear mercy.     He started at the head, worked on the feet, and instead of correcting a mistake said “eff it”!   (I’ll just join the two together, who’ll notice!) .   I’ve never seen another artist that said “eff it” to correcting obvious mistakes so many times 

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, 35CentEra said:

I had a holy original art grail that for 15 years I had hoped to find but never expected it would happen. Then one day in the back of some out of the way random comic shop there it was. Although it was not for sale, I left the shop owner with an offer anyhow.   Eventually time passed and he contacted me and we did the deal. The thing is for me the moment it was in my possession all other comic art, comics and related collectibles lost a significant interest to me. While I am glad, nay blessed, to have the item museum framed on my home office wall, I do miss the good ol' days when my interest was higher in comic art.  In effect the day i got my the holy grail top of the mountain was reached and for me at least no where to go but down

Pics or it didn't happen :baiting:

10 hours ago, 35CentEra said:

Got anything for sale while headed on the way down? :)

On 3/4/2018 at 8:00 PM, Bronty said:

Oh dear mercy.     He started at the head, worked on the feet, and instead of correcting a mistake said “eff it”!   (I’ll just join the two together, who’ll notice!) .   I’ve never seen another artist that said “eff it” to correcting obvious mistakes so many times 

I wonder how the most significant "eff it" Liefeld pieces would do at auction. Would a really poorly drawn piece such as the Captain America with shield piece break records or fall flat?

7 minutes ago, buyatari said:

I wonder how the most significant "eff it" Liefeld pieces would do at auction. Would a really poorly drawn piece such as the Captain America with shield piece break records or fall flat?

It would not break records.   People love to talk about bad art, but IMO they don't like to pay for it (unless it has significant context like a first appearance).    

Edited by Bronty

7 minutes ago, buyatari said:

One was on ebay a year or 2 ago, I think it was from XF.  It did fairly well, 4-5k ish if my memory serves.  It was one of those broke-back pose pages.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

It would not break records.   People love to talk about bad art, but IMO they don't like to pay for it (unless it has significant context like a first appearance).    

You would have to think if the Captain America with shield image would pop up that it would turn a few heads. 

17 minutes ago, buyatari said:

You would have to think if the Captain America with shield image would pop up that it would turn a few heads. 

And make a few grown men cry lol 

I guess it all depends on what we are defining as a "record".    

4 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

One was on ebay a year or 2 ago, I think it was from XF.  It did fairly well, 4-5k ish if my memory serves.  It was one of those broke-back pose pages.

Not being sarcastic here, but genuinely curious: what is the love for Liefeld?   I really disliked his art at the time, but I also stopped reading comics for several years, so I have no artistic or nostalgic attachment to his work.   

I mean I get paying big money for an early Deadpool or Cable appearance (neither means much to me because that's all a bit after my time), but is it a nostalgic thing?  Do some people really think he's a great artist?  

7 minutes ago, Flambit said:

Not being sarcastic here, but genuinely curious: what is the love for Liefeld?   I really disliked his art at the time, but I also stopped reading comics for several years, so I have no artistic or nostalgic attachment to his work.   

I mean I get paying big money for an early Deadpool or Cable appearance (neither means much to me because that's all a bit after my time), but is it a nostalgic thing?  Do some people really think he's a great artist?  

I don't think anyone thinks that?    Presumably to whatever extent people collect him its for the nostalgia and the fact that even though he couldn't draw he was once a significant force in the market.

E.g. maybe they thought X-force was awesome when they were 12 and collect it for that reason.

Edited by Bronty

30 minutes ago, nickwire said:

hmmmm

1.  killing joke cover

2. any wrightson Frankenstein plate

3. any frazetta famous funnies covers

4. any dave stevens covers

Im right there with you on all counts.:cloud9:

7 hours ago, J.Sid said:

Re: Liefeld

It's more important to have a unique identifiable style than to be classically trained in anatomy.

Sure. But it helps to know the rules before you break them, whether classically trained or not. See Jack Kirby for single greatest example of this. Followed closely by Harvey Kurtzman, Robert Crumb, Steve Ditko (of course), Basil Wolverton, and then a host of others. "Cartoonists" in the finest anatomical boundary bending and breaking manner. Anybody that really gets those guys most likely pukes at the sight of Liefeld. I do. But I'll also admit to buying a Liefeld for pure speculation, the body of pukers is much smaller than that of adorers, and shrinking every day if trending final auction numbers are accounted for. Gotta buy today where the mass of buyers will be tomorrow lol

I started reading comics in 1991, so Liefeld was a big, big deal for me.  While I fully recognize his artistic limitations, nostalgia is a heck of a thing.  That said, I'd argue that his work from say 1990-1993 (late run New mutants to early Youngblood) is not without merit.  His anatomy might be whack, and his work incorporates just about every bad 90's cliche there is, but as other have mentioned, it has an energy that is totally unique to Rob Liefeld.  I also think it is noticeably better than the stuff that came later.  I'm not sure what happened, but I'm right there with all the Liefeld haters on everything post 94 or so.  His work the last 10 years in particular isn't even fun to mock.  It's just not very nice to look at.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

As someone who grew up in the crosshairs of the Lee / McFarlane / Liefeld boom, I can say that Liefeld has a lot of nostalgia for me.  He took the lamest, dumb, most boring comic (New Mutants) and made it awesome

Them's fightin' words, son!!! How Darest thee!!!  :smile: