• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 1 Grail
4 4

120 posts in this topic

Similar to @ESeffinga I don't have one piece above all others. But I do have about a dozen that would be a crown jewel if I had the chance get just one.   Pieces that are completely unobtainable I just don't bother contemplating. But a piece that is a 'possibility' (waiting for the Jim Carey gif) if i sold a percentage of my current collection are always on the periphery. 

Spoiler

YkfRGfGk_0709161655001gpadd.jpg

I think I have my grail .

Superman by Curt Swan, Comic Art

I can't imagine a page or commission that I would trade for this one.

That said, I'd love to find the splash to my first comic (JLA 29, 1st series)
4pQAY2qR_0711171032381wla.jpg

or the cover to that issue
JLA29.jpg

or one of the best Legion of Super-Heroes group shots.
The%20Official%20Legion%20of%20Super%20Heroes%20Index.jpg

If I had to pick just one, it would be the Uncanny X-Men #172 cover.  It's the issue that started my journey down the rabbit hole of comics.

My top 7 would look something like this:

1. Uncanny X-Men #172 cover

2.  X-Men #94 cover

3.  Daredevil #181 cover

4.  Conan #24 cover

5.  ASM #122 cover

6.  Secret Wars #1 cover

7.  Thor #339 cover

Honorable mentions:  ASM #98, 121 & 252 covers, Uncanny X-Men #173 & 176 covers, Marvel Feature v. 2 #1 cover

Edited by delekkerste

13 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I'm constantly impressed by the number of people that can recall their first comic.

For me it's easy, I can recall the general issue area & stories. But if I look at my comics, they're the ones I bought off the stands and not back issues with a price stamp.

10 minutes ago, Twanj said:

For me it's easy, I can recall the general issue area & stories. But if I look at my comics, they're the ones I bought off the stands and not back issues with a price stamp.

For my self, I know it was a Spider-man comic, but I have no idea which one. It was at a barbershop that I went to for some of my earliest haircuts, so not something I took home with me. But even then, I can't bring to mind the first issue I owned.