• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your 1 Grail
4 4

120 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2017 at 4:28 PM, batman_fan said:

This would probably be the number 1 piece of art on my want list. I have no idea if it still exists, but would love to own it.

daredevil_33_splash.png

childhood faves?

40 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Really?  I'm more shocked by people who don't remember their first comic!

I wish I could recall it, I've tried. I just know it was Spider-man - probably not a coincidence that he is still my favorite superhero, though I haven't been able to read the title for years.

I remember my dad buying a variety of war comics as a kid (he was a Vietnam vet – if that’s any kind of excuse for buying a 6 YO war comics)… I don’t remember exact issues but I remember Unknown Soldier, GI Combat and Blackhawk (I did buy the Blackhawk 245 cover that I remember reading as a kid, so that's something of a grail for me). The first superhero title I purchased with my money was Fantastic Four, but I don’t remember the exact issue. I DO remember having a portfolio (Trapper?) that had the image of Fantastic Four 159 with a panel from the book on the back cover and that’s what made me interested in the FF.

Ah, nostalgia.  I can recall the oldest Iron Man comic (#41) and Avengers comic (#89) I ever looked at (bought by my dad).  Comparing dates, Avengers #89 came out first.  Iron Man #41 was a throw-away (not a great story and it had a scary monster at the end) but I "read" and "re-read" Avengers #89 and #90 until one cover was completely off and the other ripped to shreds.  My parents picked out a new comic here or there after that but not frequently.  I got Avengers #107 and promptly drew a mustache on the Grim Reaper on the cover.  I didn't pick out my own comics until about two years after Avengers #89 and didn't start regularly picking up books every month until about a year after that.  Iron Man #64 and #71 were the first Iron Man comics I read to shreds.   So I guess I fall into the camp of remembering.  :)

Those original books I kept until unfortunately losing them in Hurricane Sandy.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Really?  I'm more shocked by people who don't remember their first comic!

That's kind of how I feel.  I know I'm younger than most here, but I could probably name my first 20 or so comics more or less in the order I acquired them. 

22 hours ago, westform said:

+1

I got my grail from you a while back.  Not my 1st comic but early purchase off the newsstand in Osgood, IN back in 1976.  Daredevil 33 came from my brothers friend Terry Disbro.

jungleAction.JPG

Edited by batman_fan

On 2017-11-14 at 6:15 PM, westform said:

+1

heh, that plus one.  that was about recalling their first comic.  I have a good memory, but I can't recall my first comic either.  Even if I did, not sure if it would have more nostalgic pull (and pull of my hobby budget) compared to comics that I read when I was older that I had a more profound impact on me (e.g. Frank Miller's DD man without fear mini with JR JR)

Malvin