• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things We All Thought We Knew, But We're Wrong
1 1

48 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It has always been thought that the cover of Great #3 was by Charles Sultan. According to Roger Hill in his new book, Reed Crandall is actually the artist on the famous cover...

great3.jpg

There are no notes as to story, art and cover on the label. Same as with all other labels (due to perhaps uncertainty) for this book or just yours ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

Just now, Gotham Kid said:

There are no notes as to story, art and cover on the label. Same as with all other labels for this book or just yours ?

You know, I am not really sure. I think the old label had story notations but I am getting old. I don't remember, and I didn't save my old scans to compare. I am sure they are out there somewhere.

4 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:
7 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

There are no notes as to story, art and cover on the label. Same as with all other labels for this book or just yours ?

You know, I am not really sure. I think the old label had story notations but I am getting old. I don't remember, and I didn't save my old scans to compare. I am sure they are out there somewhere.

I checked the CGC gallery. There is one posted with the older label type that also does not list story notations.

Edited by MrBedrock

10 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

It has always been thought that the cover of Great #3 was by Charles Sultan. According to Roger Hill in his new book, Reed Crandall is actually the artist on the famous cover...

great3.jpg

Good one.  Never would have occurred to me, but here's a Crandall illo with some style similarities:

jcm3cv.jpg

When I bought a copy of Alan Light's "The Ray and Black Condor" reprint book, I thought E. Lectron was such a great artist such a cool and fitting name to draw a character like The Ray.  And come to find out, he was a great artist and actually my favorite GA artist named Lou Fine.  :$

I am also guilty thinking Ernie Chua and Ernie Chan were two different people (not a GA faux pas) - just not good with name lol 

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

A bit off topic but still cool to know.

The light bulb on the cover of Tec 59 is signed JR (Jerry Robinson)

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-59-dc-1942-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7017-91136.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

That is cool.  More in the vein of "Things We Didn't Know That Are Really Cool," but that's ok.

I'm a little surprised no one else appears surprised that Uncle Scrooge's first cover was FC 379.  Blew me away.  

9 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

That is cool.  More in the vein of "Things We Didn't Know That Are Really Cool," but that's ok.

I'm a little surprised no one else appears surprised that Uncle Scrooge's first cover was FC 379.  Blew me away.  

It’s news to me I never put it together until now. An undervalued book for sure.  Thanks for sharing 

20 hours ago, Topnotchman said:
20 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

It’s news to me I never put it together until now. An undervalued book for sure.  Thanks for sharing 

News to me too...

fc379.jpg

fc386.jpg

Edited by MrBedrock

Beautiful copies!  Right now your 8.5 is the second rated FC 379 on census (1 of 3) behind only the 9.2. 

Looking at those Blue labels makes me realize that another reason for the confusion might be that the "cover date" for FC 379 must be March-April 1952 whereas FC 386 is just March 1952.  So maybe folks thought that a March-April cover dated book would have come out later than just a March cover dated book.  A bit of mystery, though, why the fact that 379 is earlier than 386 didn't set off any alarm bells.

Of course, as I stated above, the Library of Congress lists the copyright date of FC 379 as 1/22/52 and the copyright date of FC 386 as 2/11/52, which probably corresponds to their release dates. 

Edited by sfcityduck

For years I thought FC 189 "The Old Castle's Secret" was the first Scrooge cover.  But I hadn't realized that Scrooge was added to the cover of the 1964 reprint "The Best of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge" 1, but wasn't present on the original cover. 

I remember buying BDDUS 1 off the stands a kid.  What a dynamite combo:  "The Old Castle's Secret" and "The Golden Helmet." :cloud9:

On 11/1/2017 at 2:24 PM, MrBedrock said:

great3.jpg

I thought it was Rudy Palais.  I'm still not convinced it's not. hm  Sure seems to resembles Palais's work on the story ... or is the story also by Crandall?

The Great 3 cover seems similar to me to the Choice 3 cover ... or is that also Crandall? 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I thought it was Rudy Palais.  I'm still not convinced it's not. hm  Sure seems to resembles Palais's work on the story ... or is the story also by Crandall?

The Great 3 cover seems similar to me to the Choice 3 cover ... or is that also Crandall? 

Roger Hill interviewed Rudy Palais, who was the editor of Great 3, and he was the one who stated the cover was Crandall. Crandall also was supposed to do the interior story but time constraints prevented him from doing the work.