• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - AF #15
2 2

34 posts in this topic

Appreciate the responses folks, great to be a part of the community here. Bought a box of comics at an estate sale and this happened to be the diamond in the rough. Not a collector by any means but knew that old comics might be worth something, never thought I'd come across something like this. What's the general consensus for the best place to sell this comic assuming it comes back in the 3.0-4.0 grade? 

11 minutes ago, DefconFrat said:

Appreciate the responses folks, great to be a part of the community here. Bought a box of comics at an estate sale and this happened to be the diamond in the rough. Not a collector by any means but knew that old comics might be worth something, never thought I'd come across something like this. What's the general consensus for the best place to sell this comic assuming it comes back in the 3.0-4.0 grade? 

Wow. That's incredible. What did you pay for the box? Did you know immediately when you saw this comic that you struck gold or did it take some reasearch for you to realize? 

1 minute ago, Shawnismaximus said:

Wow. That's incredible. What did you pay for the box? Did you know immediately when you saw this comic that you struck gold or did it take some reasearch for you to realize? 

$40 for roughly a couple dozen comics from this era, had no idea this comic was in the box nor what it's value would be. Definitely had to thoroughly research what I'm working with; big baseball card collector but never got into comics. I've never won the lottery but I would imagine this is what it feels like. 

5 minutes ago, DefconFrat said:

$40 for roughly a couple dozen comics from this era, had no idea this comic was in the box nor what it's value would be. Definitely had to thoroughly research what I'm working with; big baseball card collector but never got into comics. I've never won the lottery but I would imagine this is what it feels like. 

Wow. I've had dreams where this happens! Congratulations, I hope you get some good coin for it. 

In terms of selling, you could consign it to one of the larger auction houses (something like Comic Link), you could sell on eBay, or you could sell through the boards. Do thorough research before deciding on any course. I've attached a screen shot of the realized prices ON EBAY for a CGC 3.0 from the last two years, so you can see what you're dealing with in terms of valuation should it come back at the grade that the board members are guessing it will. Overall, though, this is a once-in-a-lifetime find for anyone, not just a comic collector, so unless you need the money right this second, you might consider holding the book to see if it accrues further in value. As you can see from the chart of prices for just a 3.0, this is a book that continues to increase in both price and demand at an incredible rate. 

Congratulations!!!!  

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 6.26.00 AM.png

7 minutes ago, ALewis1978 said:

Is it just me, or is that a bad slab job?  Looking at what you started out with, I wouldn't think the back should have pushed over like it did.  

But like everyone else, I'm super envious of your find.  Congrats!

I agree, somthing looks wonky and is evident in looking at the pre-post spine on the FC.  A little surprised that the extent of that roll may have been a result of the slabbing.  It's a great book as is, but I'd get that sucker out and correct the alignment with a nice press. 

Edited by MustEatBrains

Thanks for the input guys, first time dealing with something like this. Should I contact CGC and sent it back to be re-slabbed? Not sure if that was something I could do myself or if CGC would have to do it. 

Edited by DefconFrat
Has not been pressed