• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - AF #15
2 2

34 posts in this topic

I've never had to deal with a possible "quality of service" issue with CGC, but for what you probably paid to get it graded, slabbed and being one of the top demanding comic books, I'd be calling them to see if they are willing to do something about it.  Maybe re-slab it for free.  Not sure if pressing would be a good idea.  Books in too bad of shape can actually take a hit from pressing.  I had a Hulk 181 that was a 6.5 that I had pressed and re-graded.  During pressing, the cover detached at one of the staples and it came back as a 4.5.  I didn't use CSS for that press job, but not sure if the result would have been any different if I did.  To be fair to the guy who did press it, he did warn me before hand that it wasn't a good pressing candidate and it was my call. 

Just now, ALewis1978 said:

I've never had to deal with a possible "quality of service" issue with CGC, but for what you probably paid to get it graded, slabbed and being one of the top demanding comic books, I'd be calling them to see if they are willing to do something about it.  Maybe re-slab it for free.  Not sure if pressing would be a good idea.  Books in too bad of shape can actually take a hit from pressing.  I had a Hulk 181 that was a 6.5 that I had pressed and re-graded.  During pressing, the cover detached at one of the staples and it came back as a 4.5.  I didn't use CSS for that press job, but not sure if the result would have been any different if I did.  To be fair to the guy who did press it, he did warn me before hand that it wasn't a good pressing candidate and it was my call. 

I totally agree on all your points. Also, notice there is a inner well wedge on the right side of the Back Cover.  I think the Grader's notes would help us ascertain what happened here. It's possible the OP did not properly package up the book for shipping and caused the spine roll = this is the way it arrived at CGC. I just can't imagine the encapsulation was the cause. Still, the alignment of the book in the slab looks completely different than the pic. Note the OP's picture does not even have the book in a bag and board. Perhaps his handling was the cause ? Maybe sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard in a mailer. 

34 minutes ago, ALewis1978 said:

26 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I totally agree on all your points. Also, notice there is a inner well wedge on the right side of the Back Cover.  I think the Grader's notes would help us ascertain what happened here. It's possible the OP did not properly package up the book for shipping and caused the spine roll = this is the way it arrived at CGC. I just can't imagine the encapsulation was the cause. Still, the alignment of the book in the slab looks completely different than the pic. Note the OP's picture does not even have the book in a bag and board. Perhaps his handling was the cause ? Maybe sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard in a mailer. 

Appreciate the advice, will be calling them Monday morning to see about getting this resolved. As for shipping, I carefully followed CGC's shipping tutorial - mylar bag with backing board, sandwiched between two rigid sheets of cardboard, then with enough bubble wrap to keep a Faberge egg safe and secure. Shipped in a fairly large box with about 4" of space around all sides of the book to account for bubble wrap. The spine roll/alignment seen in the ungraded pic is how it was packaged - based on the preparation,  I do not see how the alignment could have been affected during transit. 

2 minutes ago, DefconFrat said:

Appreciate the advice, will be calling them Monday morning to see about getting this resolved. As for shipping, I carefully followed CGC's shipping tutorial - mylar bag with backing board, sandwiched between two rigid sheets of cardboard, then with enough bubble wrap to keep a Faberge egg safe and secure. Shipped in a fairly large box with about 4" of space around all sides of the book to account for bubble wrap. The spine roll/alignment seen in the ungraded pic is how it was packaged - based on the preparation,  I do not see how the alignment could have been affected during transit. 

Interesting. Working on the assumption that it was somehow shipping related, something like this can happen if the book is allowed movement inside the box or perhaps inside the mylar. Specifically, did you use a mylar bag or rigid mylar with an open top. If bag, was it sealed on top with tape. Did you tightly secure(tape) the two rigid sheets of cardboard ? Is it possible the mylar inside the two pieces of cardboard had some 'leeway, freedom of movement ? It sounds like you protected the book from outside impact but maybe you did not protect it from movement. 

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Interesting. Working on the assumption that it was somehow shipping related, something like this can happen if the book is allowed movement inside the box or perhaps inside the mylar. Specifically, did you use a mylar bag or rigid mylar with an open top. If bag, was it sealed on top with tape. Did you tightly secure(tape) the two rigid sheets of cardboard ? Is it possible the mylar inside the two pieces of cardboard had some 'leeway, freedom of movement ? It sounds like you protected the book from outside impact but maybe you did not protect it from movement. 

I used a mylar bag and properly sealed the top with tape. Then, the book inside the mylar bag w/ backing board were taped securely to one of the rigid pieces of cardboard, exactly like the first pic of step 3 in your post. Next, I placed another rigid sheet on top of that and taped them tight, sandwiching the comic/backing board together between the rigid sheets.The two rigid sheets of cardboard were VERY tightly taped using packing tape - I did this to ensure the book wouldn't be floating around between the cardboard sheets. I knew the box would likely get tossed around during shipment, therefore I made absolutely sure the book would not be shifting around at all. Should have taken pictures for documentation as I packed it up, but hindsight is 20/20. I extensively researched how to ship valuable comics to make sure I properly prepared the book for shipping

3 hours ago, DefconFrat said:

I used a mylar bag and properly sealed the top with tape. Then, the book inside the mylar bag w/ backing board were taped securely to one of the rigid pieces of cardboard, exactly like the first pic of step 3 in your post. Next, I placed another rigid sheet on top of that and taped them tight, sandwiching the comic/backing board together between the rigid sheets.The two rigid sheets of cardboard were VERY tightly taped using packing tape - I did this to ensure the book wouldn't be floating around between the cardboard sheets. I knew the box would likely get tossed around during shipment, therefore I made absolutely sure the book would not be shifting around at all. Should have taken pictures for documentation as I packed it up, but hindsight is 20/20. I extensively researched how to ship valuable comics to make sure I properly prepared the book for shipping

Okay, sounds like you packed it well . This is very puzzling. You should have the grader's notes. Does it say anything about the severity or length of the spine roll ? In your original pic there was a slight spine roll so it should be mentioned.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Okay, sounds like you packed it well . This is very puzzling. You should have the grader's notes. Does it say anything about the severity or length of the spine roll ? In your original pic there was a slight spine roll so it should be mentioned.

Just checked the grader's notes - just says "moderate spine roll" but nothing about length.  What are your thoughts as far as getting this remedied Bob? Any ideas/suggestions? 

11 hours ago, DefconFrat said:

Just checked the grader's notes - just says "moderate spine roll" but nothing about length.  What are your thoughts as far as getting this remedied Bob? Any ideas/suggestions? 

I would absolutely have it pressed and reslabbed. Of course there's ALWAYS the risk that it comes back lower, but this book umps considerably every .5 of a grade. If it comes back a 3.5 or hell even a 4.0, you've made a considerable profit with limited effort. As for who should press it, maybe it makes sense to have CSS do it, maybe it doesn't. There are a ton of well known pressers and people on the boards can help with that.

Good luck, great find!

17 hours ago, DefconFrat said:

I would say the grader's notes validate your original pic, a 'moderate' spine roll. The pic of it in the slab was much more than moderate, probably approaching severe.  As the facts are coming in, I'm seeing this as damaged somewhere within the CGC process, probably at encapsulation. I say this because the grader's notes , when the graders saw the book, say moderate spine roll. This implies it happened after the graders handed it off. They will probably ask you to send the book back in. I would hope they 'fix' it for you, probably pressing out the spine roll. I think the grade of 3.0 will be retained. 

The suggestion above, from Howling Mad, to get the books pressed and regraded is up to you. Just realize the cost will be on you with no guarantee of a grade bump. If the book is damaged while pressing out the spine, the grade can go down. The book looks fragile and may be susceptible to a staple pop, cover getting detached, a piece coming off, etc.  My suggestion of letting them 'fix' it and keep the 3.0 should be on their dime. In any case, do not open up the slab.

Good luck ! Let us know what they say. 

Good input and advice from everyone.  Question I have for the peanut gallery, do you think this book as it sits is a 3.0?  The more I think about this I'm becoming adverse to cracking out and having pressed.  @Bomber-Bob is right about the risk of something potentially going wrong.  Either way for a $40 investment and if the owner does not intend to keep might just be best to sell as is.  There are plenty out there who continue to pony up for the grade and not the book.

Tough spot - I just saw the thread now, after I had seen the pic of the slabbed book.  I had assumed it was a bad press job as is.  On one hand, I feel like it needs to be fixed in slab to present better.  On the other hand, like others have mentioned, I wonder if any damage would occur.

I'd leave it alone. If you call and cgc offers a "fix" for free, great! If not, I'd do whatever you were planning on in the first place...

Pressing, I doubt will help at this point, and if you did press,  then it is no longer a "reholder" and will cost out of pocket.