• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So now Rob Leifeld has issues with CGC & others at cons

64 posts in this topic

https://www.facebook.com/rob.liefeld

Starting in 2018, I’ll only accept CGC/Voldemort submissions through private signings and from select witnesses. More in the new year.

Have heard numerous complaints about CGC facilitators from Stan Lee Comic Con. I hear you guys, and I’m contacting CGC about it.

Rob Liefeld
Rob Liefeld CGC is a great company and I do plenty of biz with them. They should have representation that reflects their professionalism.

Nathan Woodward
Nathan Woodward What are your thoughts on non CGC grading companies?

Rob Liefeld
Rob Liefeld Nathan Woodward happy to work with them as well. And do!
Nathan Woodward
Nathan Woodward I’ve always been a little skeptical but a lot of what I hear is positive feedback.

Jason Woodward I’ve known very few CGC people that were “professional”... I despise the grading craze... I guess that puts a huge chip on my shoulder against the entire process...!?!
John Cruz
John Cruz Maybe someone's not grading books right? I'm sure someone's present for signature authentication
Jessie Knight
Jessie Knight I believe Jim Starlin had issues with authenticating his signature.
Patrick Gerard
Patrick Gerard Private signings seem the way to go. Or signings at the actual CGC booth. There's too much chaos otherwise.

================================================================
Anyone  have any idea what happened?
Edited by Ares

Last time I saw Liefeld at a con, he had what seemed like a 12 tier pricing structure for what he was charging to sign, all based upon the item to be signed.  On top of that he had a VIP and regular people autograph line (at least there was no charge to stand in the regular people line).  And now this.

Some of these creators are doing everything they can to take the golden goose, strangle it, serve the good part at Sunday dinner, and have the rest pureed and sold to a local dog food maker. 

5 hours ago, mattn792 said:

Last time I saw Liefeld at a con, he had what seemed like a 12 tier pricing structure for what he was charging to sign, all based upon the item to be signed.  On top of that he had a VIP and regular people autograph line (at least there was no charge to stand in the regular people line).  And now this.

Some of these creators are doing everything they can to take the golden goose, strangle it, serve the good part at Sunday dinner, and have the rest pureed and sold to a local dog food maker. 

Much too complicated.  I'd just give up and not bother. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

I saw Liefeld at Phoenix last year. The Deadpool movie was coming out, so I bought a Liefeld VIP Pass and a pass to see the movie screening with him in attendance. The VIP package included free comics and a signature coupon. I was in the VIP line to get my Deadpool comic signed and was told by the handlers that my free signature was "only worth $XX" (his exact words, but I forget the specific number) and to sign a Deadpool comic it was an extra $10. And more for NM87 and NM 98. It was an absolutely absurd conversation with the handler. I know recently my SS purchases have gone way down, including sketches on blanks to slab. It's really getting annoying dealing with all these rules and crazy prices. I have pictures of meeting Liefield at a local shop when X-Force just came out. A stack of books and a nice conversation. Those were the days.

9 minutes ago, srezvan said:

I saw Liefeld at Phoenix last year. The Deadpool movie was coming out, so I bought a Liefeld VIP Pass and a pass to see the movie screening with him in attendance. The VIP package included free comics and a signature coupon. I was in the VIP line to get my Deadpool comic signed and was told by the handlers that my free signature was "only worth $XX" (his exact words, but I forget the specific number) and to sign a Deadpool comic it was an extra $10. And more for NM87 and NM 98. It was an absolutely absurd conversation with the handler. I know recently my SS purchases have gone way down, including sketches on blanks to slab. It's really getting annoying dealing with all these rules and crazy prices. I have pictures of meeting Liefield at a local shop when X-Force just came out. A stack of books and a nice conversation. Those were the days.

Artists, like some has-been athletes, have realized that their graded certified signature brings in $xxx and that many of those are simply being resold for $xxx.  When they only charged $xx, they were leaving a lot of money on the table. So now they decided to charge a larger portion of $xxx.  Autographs have been commoditized along with the comic issue.  Not sure what transpired between him and cgc but it's probably affecting his ability to capitalize on his signatures.

Not sure why this is such a big deal. Why don't less famous creators charge more, because they can barely give away their autograph. If you are famous and your signature is worth a lot, why not charge what you think it's worth and let the market decide. 

I don't like paying a lot for an autograph but if I really like the artist, shouldn't it be worth the cost? If there was no market for their autogtaph, prices would be lower.

3 hours ago, Cocomonkey said:

Also, how many pouches, oversized weaponry, and unnecessary muscles will his signature have? 

$30 for the first four, $10 each for the next four, $5 x the state he’s signing in’s personal income tax rate + $2 (for those pesky 0% states) each for any additional.