• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

Just now, grebal said:

I could be wrong but I'm almost positive neat stuff got that backwards, because in the past he had the exact opposite timesI could be wrong but I'm almost positive neat stuff got that backwards, because in the past he had the exact opposite terms. I meant to tell you that in pm.

I was not mentioning names, Rick is not the only "nice guy here", but I thought so too, lol. I might have even asked, but I don't recall;) 

and now that I see that Mike (Lizards) is here, it reminded me I need to get some sleep, lol.

Night:)

Just now, lizards2 said:

All of this is why, always pay with a credit card, so when paypal fails you, you can recoup losses via your credit card company.   :preach:

And what are you still doing up Sharon?  :sumo: 

Actually, I was doing Laundry, lol...but I'm quitting, going to sleep sir! Thanks for the reminder;) :foryou:

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

I was not mentioning names, Rick is not the only "nice guy here", but I thought so too, lol. I might have even asked, but I don't recall;) 

and now that I see that Mike (Lizards) is here, it reminded me I need to get some sleep, lol.

Night:)

Thread killer!!!! :banana: 

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

Actually, I was doing Laundry, lol...but I'm quitting, going to sleep sir! Thanks for the reminder;) :foryou:

Save the last sock for me :foryou: 

Just now, grebal said:

In the opposite direction, is there any risk to sell to first time posters, I mean the first post is a take, if they pay by PayPal?

My mama says that Paypal is the devil.

Just now, grebal said:
2 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

My mama says that Paypal is the devil.

I heard it makes you blind. Oh, wait.

I can't see what you said there. (shrug)

7 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

You are 100% correct.  I was discussing this with a couple of my buddies last week.  Back in the day a new member would rarely be selling comics in the first 6 months.  Another thing that has changed is years ago you would rarely see a seller asking for prices that are over GPA (unless the comic was rare or super hot).   Since the seller was saving on EBAY fees they would usually price their items under GPA  but this has completely changed.   Most of the items I see for sale are well above GPA and even after 2-3 price cuts they are still over GPA.  Most of the items I see like this rarely sell compared to years ago when most of what was put up for sale actually sold.

8 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

47 minutes ago, raybowles said:

You are 100% correct.  I was discussing this with a couple of my buddies last week.  Back in the day a new member would rarely be selling comics in the first 6 months.  Another thing that has changed is years ago you would rarely see a seller asking for prices that are over GPA (unless the comic was rare or super hot).   Since the seller was saving on EBAY fees they would usually price their items under GPA  but this has completely changed.   Most of the items I see for sale are well above GPA and even after 2-3 price cuts they are still over GPA.  Most of the items I see like this rarely sell compared to years ago when most of what was put up for sale actually sold.

This topic is very cathartic to me as I used to feel this way (still do, just not as strongly) and would often become so annoyed and self-righteous by the undeserved sense of entitlement exuded by such boardies and their posts.  The irony of course being that if they behave this way in the selling forum, there is most likely very little they will "contribute" (at least as far as I was concerned) to other areas, so why worry about it and let them occupy headspace?  It's just a little more drek and dribble you have to navigate through in the selling forums to find what you want, but ultimately if they stay confined to their barren sales threads with limited views, unreasonable expectations and no bites that is the best possible contribution they can make.  People such as this will never have any realization of self-awareness or change their ways by following the good example of others, they will invariably justify their own sensibilities by concluding it is everyone else that is the problem and eventually move on (and if they don't, that is what the "ignore" feature is for (thumbsu ).

Almost every year I find myself thinking,  "The level of narcissism, oblivious selfishness & willful ignorance has exploded on the boards and is out of control!" . . . but it hasn't, and it's not.  It may have gone up incrementally over the years but I'm sure it is very similar to the level it has been since I joined.  Like with most things, what we really like and really don't like stands out to us the most and we'll perceive it as being disproportionately higher than the middle ground which is often the vast majority.  As difficult as it is to do, I've found the more you are able to focus on the subjects and individuals that bring you positive fulfillment, you'll find more enjoyment and overall satisfaction with less frustration from the jackassery you're certain to run across from time to time.   2c

3 hours ago, raybowles said:

This is so true. Well above GPA. Obviously you will only buy if you are interested, but there are definitely an influx of sellers who are selling above GPA and still charge the 3% PayPal fees.

I don't think as a buyer you should still have to pay for the 3% fees anyway. If they are so bothered about it, add it into their price.

What would be a good solution to stop this from happening?

Just from my own experiences, in selling and buying, I know a lot of people skip the GPA all-together and just price books in the ballpark of what is on Ebay.  Most of the time those prices are "negotiable" which is why you see price cut, after price cut.  As for the contributing to the boards portion of the discussion, I think a lot of people find these boards and think to themselves "oh great! a place to sell my stuff and not have to pay fees to ebay!".  It will work for some, but with so much competition for the front page at times, a lot of these people will move on.  Then there are those like me that read these boards on a daily basis, but only occasionally comment.  I like to look at the pretty books :) 

1 minute ago, Mayor006 said:

Just from my own experiences, in selling and buying, I know a lot of people skip the GPA all-together and just price books in the ballpark of what is on Ebay.  Most of the time those prices are "negotiable" which is why you see price cut, after price cut.  As for the contributing to the boards portion of the discussion, I think a lot of people find these boards and think to themselves "oh great! a place to sell my stuff and not have to pay fees to ebay!".  It will work for some, but with so much competition for the front page at times, a lot of these people will move on.  Then there are those like me that read these boards on a daily basis, but only occasionally comment.  I like to look at the pretty books :) 

With you on the pretty books. Someone posted a JIM 83 9.0 the other day. :cloud9:

13 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

It's a free country and boards, anyone who wants to start a sales thread can. 

Ultimately, like anywhere else, sellers who've earned the respect of the community will do better than new guys.  I'm a lot more likely, a lot, to buy from a seller I trust than someone I don't know.  

I would agree, I think there's a sort of Darwinism sewn into the boards themselves. The strongest will survive. Boardies are generally very adept at smelling a rat, and sales threads seem to boom or bust along those lines. Unless, you know, cool books.

34 minutes ago, Lucky Baru said:

Maybe they don't want to alienate a customer by sharing their opinions.

That's an extremely good point!

I love the boards since I first found them! I’ve learned so much from all the different forums IE grading resto and comments on books that people are selling IE if it is a key or artist or rarity.

I've been on the boards since july 14 2014 and when i first started out I tried the sales threads first and sold a few via PM. I’ve had a lot of HORRIBLE sales threads and 2 good ones. With the bad ones I reached out to a few board members who I’ve delt with and like for HONEST opinions if I had books listed to high or if my grading was off and most said the same thing...it’s hit or miss.  I've also bought a lot and have become more focused with my collection.

as to the GPA pricing a friend of mine that sells comics for a living adds 10-20% above GPA for GA and SA KEYS and has no problem at all. for example if you bought AF 15 CGC 2.0 for 15k ( i don't know just an easy example for me) and then need to sell it would you take the loss less than 15k or ask for more? shouldn't certain keys go up in value (but when does it stop)? and someone in this thread mentioned eBay prices...yes sometimes people post here with eBay prices ( i have...fail ) but do people buy them? id say no unless its a prominent seller and for the most part they are listed at guide. so with pricing whats right GPA, OSPG,EBAY or the healthy medium which is where i TRY to sell at.

also i feel like I DONT contribute as much as i would like because I'm horrible at typing and chat/message boards for me they were always learning tool. as you can tell by this horribly written comment/post its probly better i don't contribute lol

2 hours ago, Mayor006 said:

+1