• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

I've been here for about a decade now and I'd say the quality of discourse has gone downhill in that span. Mostly; there are still some great people and great threads, but the overall decline seems obvious to me.

Edited by Mackenzie999

17 minutes ago, Raze said:

I love the boards since I first found them! I’ve learned so much from all the different forums IE grading resto and comments on books that people are selling IE if it is a key or artist or rarity.

I've been on the boards since july 14 2014 and when i first started out I tried the sales threads first and sold a few via PM. I’ve had a lot of HORRIBLE sales threads and 2 good ones. With the bad ones I reached out to a few board members who I’ve delt with and like for HONEST opinions if I had books listed to high or if my grading was off and most said the same thing...it’s hit or miss.  I've also bought a lot and have become more focused with my collection.

as to the GPA pricing a friend of mine that sells comics for a living adds 10-20% above GPA for GA and SA KEYS and has no problem at all. for example if you bought AF 15 CGC 2.0 for 15k ( i don't know just an easy example for me) and then need to sell it would you take the loss less than 15k or ask for more? shouldn't certain keys go up in value (but when does it stop)? and someone in this thread mentioned eBay prices...yes sometimes people post here with eBay prices ( i have...fail ) but do people buy them? id say no unless its a prominent seller and for the most part they are listed at guide. so with pricing whats right GPA, OSPG,EBAY or the healthy medium which is where i TRY to sell at.

also i feel like I DONT contribute as much as i would like because I'm horrible at typing and chat/message boards for me they were always learning tool. as you can tell by this horribly written comment/post its probly better i don't contribute lol

What does that say?  So small!

GrootTakenAback.gif.217d874a461c2a45f935d07e4259059b.gif

Actually your comment is fine!  I agree that a lot of new sellers prices are probably higher because they have to recoup what they paid for it plus a little.  They may have overpaid  for the book in the first place which just means they need to be more patient and wait for a better price.  Or...they could just be hoping someone jumps on their inflated prices...or they're out of touch with reality lol   I come to the marketplace expecting reasonable prices for the most part which is the case 95% of the time.  For the unreasonable prices, people will move on.

15 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I don't mind as long as they read and follow the rules for the sales forum. 

11 minutes ago, GoldCap said:

What does that say?  So small!

GrootTakenAback.gif.217d874a461c2a45f935d07e4259059b.gif

Actually your comment is fine!  I agree that a lot of new sellers prices are probably higher because they have to recoup what they paid for it plus a little.  They may have overpaid  for the book in the first place which just means they need to be more patient and wait for a better price.  Or...they could just be hoping someone jumps on their inflated prices...or they're out of touch with reality lol   I come to the marketplace expecting reasonable prices for the most part which is the case 95% of the time.  For the unreasonable prices, people will move on.

lol i didn't know it was small font sorry!!! nice gif!!

It is difficult and intimidating to contribute as white belts however we will go through the motions of buy/sell/trade. We will kick with our toes and punch with our thumbs inside our fists. We will buy high and try to sell higher in order to recoup costs but the upper belts know better, so we end up selling low. We buy low and then try to sell real high but the upper belts know better so we end up selling at FMV, unless another white belt buys it high. Now it's that white belt's turn to learn... As we move up in the ranks, some of us will share our experiences and give back. Thank you all black belts for your patience and understanding in this dojo.

3 minutes ago, peterchizzle said:

It is difficult and intimidating to contribute as white belts however we will go through the motions of buy/sell/trade. We will kick with our toes and punch with our thumbs inside our fists. We will buy high and try to sell higher in order to recoup costs but the upper belts know better, so we end up selling low. We buy low and then try to sell real high but the upper belts know better so we end up selling at FMV, unless another white belt buys it high. Now it's that white belt's turn to learn... As we move up in the ranks, some of us will share our experiences and give back. Thank you all black belts for your patience and understanding in this dojo.

love the belt reference!

It's a shame about this hobby, as I'd rather books were priced for collectors.

I'd love to own the entire run of X-men in high grade, have it nice neatly slabbed, even if the whole collection was worth $1, but that is never going to happen.

Another movie, another tv show, another inflation on key books I don't have yet.

when I first joined I promptly listed a Voldemort/Other Guy high grade X-Men book on the boards for sale and realized I screwed up and took it down.  Then I posted a raw Planet Comics that I think I priced way too high and it was crickets and I took that down.  Finally I posted a Mystery Men Comics book at a good price and it sold.  So I made some mistakes, figured it out, and made a couple sales.  I see new guys make some posting mistakes too but it's cool because I want more opportunities to buy books without having to bid against all the folks in comic connects database.

1 hour ago, atomised said:

when I first joined I promptly listed a Voldemort/Other Guy high grade X-Men book on the boards for sale and realized I screwed up and took it down.  Then I posted a raw Planet Comics that I think I priced way too high and it was crickets and I took that down.  Finally I posted a Mystery Men Comics book at a good price and it sold.  So I made some mistakes, figured it out, and made a couple sales.  I see new guys make some posting mistakes too but it's cool because I want more opportunities to buy books without having to bid against all the folks in comic connects database.

Ricksneatstuff has had plenty of threads with crickets, and he's one of the more successful sellers here (I've bought plenty from him myself, just got book from him today that was most expensive I've ever spent on a comic); and he's among many other even more established sellers with dead or very slow threads.

On 11/1/2017 at 5:57 PM, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

I think I was making this same complaint a decade ago.  The first few years of the boards was like nirvana.  

On 11/2/2017 at 3:48 AM, davedawgbg said:

This topic is very cathartic to me as I used to feel this way (still do, just not as strongly) and would often become so annoyed and self-righteous by the undeserved sense of entitlement exuded by such boardies and their posts.  The irony of course being that if they behave this way in the selling forum, there is most likely very little they will "contribute" (at least as far as I was concerned) to other areas, so why worry about it and let them occupy headspace?  It's just a little more drek and dribble you have to navigate through in the selling forums to find what you want, but ultimately if they stay confined to their barren sales threads with limited views, unreasonable expectations and no bites that is the best possible contribution they can make.  People such as this will never have any realization of self-awareness or change their ways by following the good example of others, they will invariably justify their own sensibilities by concluding it is everyone else that is the problem and eventually move on (and if they don't, that is what the "ignore" feature is for (thumbsu ).

Almost every year I find myself thinking,  "The level of narcissism, oblivious selfishness & willful ignorance has exploded on the boards and is out of control!" . . . but it hasn't, and it's not.  It may have gone up incrementally over the years but I'm sure it is very similar to the level it has been since I joined.  Like with most things, what we really like and really don't like stands out to us the most and we'll perceive it as being disproportionately higher than the middle ground which is often the vast majority.  As difficult as it is to do, I've found the more you are able to focus on the subjects and individuals that bring you positive fulfillment, you'll find more enjoyment and overall satisfaction with less frustration from the jackassery you're certain to run across from time to time.   2c

I don't spend any time thinking/worrying about it, but when I bother to venture into the Marketplace I always wonder who most of the sellers are.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:18 PM, grebal said:

Not to be offensive, but the most successful recent thread had chk/mo only and no returns as his policy and also mentioned that he might not accept I'll take it as a binding agreement but just as the start of negotiations.

So it's really quite a varied lot of what goes on in the sales thread room members find acceptable. After a year and a half I'm still muddling through it with maybe just a few general rules.

He sent an invoice to me on a prior thread asking for PayPal personal.

Uhhh nope, try again.

So now the new payment options:flipbait:

2 minutes ago, NP_Gresham said:
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 10:18 PM, grebal said:

Not to be offensive, but the most successful recent thread had chk/mo only and no returns as his policy and also mentioned that he might not accept I'll take it as a binding agreement but just as the start of negotiations.

So it's really quite a varied lot of what goes on in the sales thread room members find acceptable. After a year and a half I'm still muddling through it with maybe just a few general rules.

He sent an invoice to me on a prior thread asking for PayPal personal.

Uhhh nope, try again.

So now the new payment options:flipbait:

Handies?

25 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I think having new people come onto the boards and sell is generally positive.  First, you have some collections that come out that are long term collectors that aren't going to post a lot but do have some amazing books.  Second, if you think the prices are too high, above GPA etc., you simply don't buy from them.  Same if you don't like a return policy, no back cover scans, grading is off etc.  

I've stopped selling here because it's simply become a hassle to sell at all -- and much easier to sell directly to dealers or at auction for slabs on the majority of material.  While it is fee free it's certainly not work free.  After PayPal fees, it's many times easier to simply sell A level material all in one block.  For stuff that's not A level, some sells here -- but you can just list everything on eBay as well and often times surprise yourself with how well you do.  

This platform can be exceptionally successful, but I'm happy to see a new wave of folks running successful sales threads on the boards and think it's overall a very positive thing.

good to hear from you Brian!

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:58 PM, Bighaley21 said:

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:40 PM, Phicks1 said:

I don't sell books, but when this new website was setup, I could not get my old account to transfer over.  So based on my number of posts one would think I am a newbie.  But I have actually been here for many years.  Maybe some of these perceived new sellers are in the same boat?

Possibility. I'm not saying someone shouldn't be able to sell. I'm just saying I feel a lot of people are missing out on a wealth of knowledge because they're too worried about making a buck..

You just summed up the seller base that has joined our industry due to Movie money the last 5 years.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 10:21 AM, Mackenzie999 said:

I've been here for about a decade now and I'd say the quality of discourse has gone downhill in that span. Mostly; there are still some great people and great threads, but the overall decline seems obvious to me.

Edited Thursday at 10:21 AM by Mackenzie999

Its going to take us awhile to recover from the website update. Many left and didn't come back. Maybe they will some day.

@Foolkiller :foryou::foryou::foryou:

I see people some members floating back in to the boards. It takes a while to find things here. I'm finding unread content is helping me see things I'm totally missing.

As for new sellers, I wish people would take the time to read the rules.  Not doing that is really a slap in the face to those of us who try to stick by them.  It's pretty annoying.

But that's not everyone, and a lot of the new members are wonderful.