• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I'm finding unread content is helping me see things I'm totally missing.

This is now the only way I read the boards unless I have been away more than 12 hours, then I go to individual forums. But checking in throughout the day "unread content" is the way to go.

Just now, Bird said:

This is now the only way I read the boards unless I have been away more than 12 hours, then I go to individual forums. But checking in throughout the day "unread content" is the way to go.

It took me a while to discover it:)  I'm starting to forget how I found new stuff on the other boards, lol. 

Plus you can see updates to threads  you posted in pretty easily now, too:).

45 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

@Foolkiller :foryou::foryou::foryou:

I see people some members floating back in to the boards. It takes a while to find things here. I'm finding unread content is helping me see things I'm totally missing.

As for new sellers, I wish people would take the time to read the rules.  Not doing that is really a slap in the face to those of us who try to stick by them.  It's pretty annoying.

But that's not everyone, and a lot of the new members are wonderful. 

You're absolutely right Sharon, not reading the rules or glossing over things isn't helpful and I'm certainly not referring to those new folks.  But I love seeing some folks I've never really seen prolifically post unveil some really nice books.  This place has changed over the years of course, but I think there's still a ton of great aspects to it and there's no where else that I can find that has as much wealth of diverse knowledge about comics than here.  

4 minutes ago, comicquant said:

It’s this sense of entitlement that casts a negative light on the boards and has plagued it's participation.  The fact more boardies haven’t shown distaste for comments like this speaks to the larger issue.  Essentially you're saying "Since you're selling on these boards you owe it to me to sell your books below GPA..." which is absolutely laughable and completely out-of-touch with what this place should be.  No one owes anyone anything on here regardless of how long you've been a member or how many posts you have.    

It's too often I see the self-righteous attack newbies for sales threads that "don't follow the rules" or commentary (to which I send the newbie a PM reminding them its often these people who don't have a leg to stand on in the real world and to ignore them...  Oh, and welcome to the boards) then turn around and complain about participation not being what it used to be.  So for those of you who find yourself aligned with this scenario, just know its you who are the problem.  And did you ever consider things aren't like the good ol' days because you ALL were newbies???  I'm not saying its all of the legacy boardies because most of them are a positive voice but their contributions are overshadowed by those who sit by the entrances waiting for an opportunity to pounce on those looking for kindred spirits.  If the boards are that important to you do us all favors and take a lesson from the sqeggs, jimjums, gotham kids, GAtors, blazingbobs, vintagecomics, lizards and Marwoods ( <-- newbies, follow these people) of the boards and learn how to positively support the community by making worthwhile contributions.

If you need a starting point lets begin with a relatively new boardie's extremely insightful prose...    

You had me until you posted that I positively support the community.

3811055786_b51d292cde.jpg

2 minutes ago, mr_highgrade said:

I have nobody but myself to blame for this Marketplace juggernaut that I help create.

Back in the days before we had a Marketplace, Fantastic_four and myself asked Arch for a Marketplace to sell our wares.

For some reason Arch was dragging his feet, so I started a sales thread in Comics General listing a TTA #60 CGC 9.4 for $400 doh! which ex-boardie Clobbering_time eventually  snapped up.

Within a couple off days of my thread, Arch moved my thread to a newly created Marketplace.

And the rest is history!

Image result for shame jpg

8 hours ago, comicquant said:

It’s this sense of entitlement that casts a negative light on the boards and has plagued it's participation.  The fact more boardies haven’t shown distaste for comments like this speaks to the larger issue.  Essentially you're saying "Since you're selling on these boards you owe it to me to sell your books below GPA..." which is absolutely laughable and completely out-of-touch with what this place should be.  No one owes anyone anything on here regardless of how long you've been a member or how many posts you have.    

It's too often I see the self-righteous attack newbies for sales threads that "don't follow the rules" or commentary (to which I send the newbie a PM reminding them its often these people who don't have a leg to stand on in the real world and to ignore them...  Oh, and welcome to the boards) then turn around and complain about participation not being what it used to be.  So for those of you who find yourself aligned with this scenario, just know its you who are the problem.  And did you ever consider things aren't like the good ol' days because you ALL were newbies???  I'm not saying its all of the legacy boardies because most of them are a positive voice but their contributions are overshadowed by those who sit by the entrances waiting for an opportunity to pounce on those looking for kindred spirits.  If the boards are that important to you do us all favors and take a lesson from the sqeggs, jimjums, gotham kids, GAtors, blazingbobs, vintagecomics, lizards and Marwoods ( <-- newbies, follow these people) of the boards and learn how to positively support the community by making worthwhile contributions.

If you need a starting point lets begin with a relatively new boardie's extremely insightful prose...    

Lighten up Francis. I'm merely making a statement of fact regarding how the sellers forum has changed.  Of course people have the right to charge whatever they want.

The point is the sellers forum was once a great place to buy comics.

25 minutes ago, raybowles said:

Lighten up Francis. I'm merely making a statement of fact regarding how the sellers forum has changed.  Of course people have the right to charge whatever they want.

The point is the sellers forum was once a great place to buy comics.

Aaah, I see what you're saying sarge...  The sellers forum has gone downhill because you're expected to pay market value.  Or was it because newbies don't wait six months?  Oh wait, it was the 3% fee.  Sorry, I can't remember.  So much whining to process.  (thumbsu

On 11/1/2017 at 7:57 PM, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Since the board update I stopped searching through the sales forums.  I have also stopped listing items for sale in the forum.  I find navigating through a sales thread not as easy as it was with the old boards.

WHOA... That was cool... I posted that message after Jim Jum but with daylight savings time it was adjusted to be posted before Jim Jums.  

10 hours ago, comicquant said:
On 11/2/2017 at 1:24 AM, raybowles said:

You are 100% correct.  I was discussing this with a couple of my buddies last week.  Back in the day a new member would rarely be selling comics in the first 6 months.  Another thing that has changed is years ago you would rarely see a seller asking for prices that are over GPA (unless the comic was rare or super hot).   Since the seller was saving on EBAY fees they would usually price their items under GPA  but this has completely changed.   Most of the items I see for sale are well above GPA and even after 2-3 price cuts they are still over GPA.  Most of the items I see like this rarely sell compared to years ago when most of what was put up for sale actually sold.

With respect, I don't see Ray's post as motivated by a sense of entitlement.   I believe he's pointing out that the sales forum has changed and it's more and more just a venue to move books for anyone wanting to make a buck rather than an offshoot of this collecting community.  It's also a direct reflection of what's happening in the hobby as it becomes more about what a book is worth than the book itself.

The rules are there for a reason and there's nothing wrong with politely pointing out or pming the seller about a problem.  The majority of violations are new boardies and usually the problem is related to the seller's bottom line.  

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

To be honest, it still seems like a pretty cool place to me. For example, I just picked up a book from the Post Office that I had wanted a nice copy of since I was a teenager ........ It was a little out of my budget, so @mstrange graciously allowed me to trade for it. That sort of thing just can't happen on eBay ...... or at auction..... pretty much just here. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

.....I'm sitting here looking at this stupid thing...... and It seems like yesterday when I first saw a copy...... a beater at that...... and here it is, thanks to another boardie who decided to be cool....

5XMTHuP.jpg

Great pick up. I seriously eyed that one for a while.

1 minute ago, The-Collector said:

Great pick up. I seriously eyed that one for a while.

...thanks..... and oddly, unlike most of my keepers, I think this one may stay in the slab.... GOD BLESS....

8 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

With respect, I don't see Ray's post as motivated by a sense of entitlement.   I believe he's pointing out that the sales forum has changed and it's more and more just a venue to move books for anyone wanting to make a buck rather than an offshoot of this collecting community.  It's also a direct reflection of what's happening in the hobby as it becomes more about what a book is worth than the book itself.

The rules are there for a reason and there's nothing wrong with politely pointing out or pming the seller about a problem.  The majority of violations are new boardies and usually the problem is related to the seller's bottom line.  

What Ray stated (very clearly) is directly associated with the monetary value of a book and not the book itself.  I guess for some, buying books at a significant discount at one point then having to pay market value may not be palatable, but thats not me (I know its not you either Dave because you're more about the book than most, and thats awesome).  I'm sure most people who have bought books from me know I'm not worried about getting GPA or above (In fact its never even close :facepalm:).  In most cases I will negotiate for books I buy but always pay a fair price (Often over GPA :facepalm:).  But, I certainly don't expect everyone else to feel the same.  The reason why I said what I said is because this thread outlined those expectations and I think that sentiment is shared by many.  Some of the responses in this thread support my assumption.          

I would fully expect a majority of violations to be from newbies.  The same concept applies to almost any context you can think of.  The newer you are to something, the more likely you are to make a mistake.  I made the biggest mistake of all in my first sales thread.  I tried to sell a Voldy book :gossip:!  I see the gravity of the error now but at the time I was actually surprised it was a rule.  And I definitely got heckled for it in the thread but that sort of thing doesn't bother me, but it obviously bothers the majority.  Hector (JSilverJanet --> Yes, her name is Hector) PM'ed me and candidly pointed out selling the competitions books on the boards probably isn't the best idea and sent me a link to the rules.  The sales thread is a vehicle to get new boardies here so treating them with some respect (as you do) will go a long way.  With that said, when a person with a single post tries to sell an 9.6 AF15 with no scans and says they'll only take cash or BitCoin I will readily jump in on the heckling.         

This isn't just my personal point of view or assumption.  I've had tens of dozens of collectors on other comic collecting venues (Instagram etc) claim they stay away from the CGC boards because of what I've described.  To be fair I've heard much worse about Facebook groups but I'm not in any so its neither here nor there.  I like the boards and I've learned more about the hobby here than anywhere else and have made some friends along the way.  If it takes bringing up the painfully obvious on occasion to help keep it a great place, I'll do so.  And in the future if I catch myself wishing for the good ol' days I hope I have the insight to realize things change and its better to change with them than to complain about them.  If I do end up complaining about them I'm sure this thread will resurface in a hurry!  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

To be honest, it still seems like a pretty cool place to me. For example, I just picked up a book from the Post Office that I had wanted a nice copy of since I was a teenager ........ It was a little out of my budget, so @mstrange graciously allowed me to trade for it. That sort of thing just can't happen on eBay ...... or at auction..... pretty much just here. GOD BLESS....

.....I'm sitting here looking at this stupid thing...... and It seems like yesterday when I first saw a copy...... a beater at that...... and here it is, thanks to another boardie who decided to be cool....

5XMTHuP.jpg

Awesome book Jimbo!  Crazy Frazetta was in his early 20's when he did this cover and had already been working on comics for a half dozen years.  The stage coach driver somewhat resembles the next generation Ghost Rider riding his motorcycle with chain in hand.