• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, wombat said:

I honestly don't care if sellers want to contribute to discussion outside of the marketplace or not. Why would I care? I certainly wouldn't want them doing it because they felt obligated to. 

I'd like to think there's an added level of protection buying from a member of the community.  The probation list works because people feel at home here, and want to be in good standing.  There's less recourse against someone who'll just move on to another venue if a deal turns sour.  Beyond that, I just like knowing who I'm buying from, and what their preferences are.  It's my experience that buying from someone whose opinions I share like Crassus or thirdgreenham is going to work out a lot better than some rando off eBay.

39 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

I'd like to think there's an added level of protection buying from a member of the community.  The probation list works because people feel at home here, and want to be in good standing.  There's less recourse against someone who'll just move on to another venue if a deal turns sour.  Beyond that, I just like knowing who I'm buying from, and what their preferences are.  It's my experience that buying from someone whose opinions I share like Crassus or thirdgreenham is going to work out a lot better than some rando off eBay.

And all of that still exists. Just buy from those particular sellers that are like that. 

I really dont know if I have a say on this topic or not. I probably dont buy enough to make a difference,and I  dont sell.

I usually tend to stay with the sellers I know and trust, but it's good to have new blood in the community.

the community will weed out the sellers who break the rules

12 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I really dont know if I have a say on this topic or not. I probably dont buy enough to make a difference,and I  dont sell.

I usually tend to stay with the sellers I know and trust, but it's good to have new blood in the community.

the community will weed out the sellers who break the rules

Yes.  And trust can be accentuated by paying with Paypal using a credit card, in case there is a dispute....., 

On 11/1/2017 at 8:01 PM, thehumantorch said:

Ultimately, like anywhere else, sellers who've earned the respect of the community will do better than new guys.  I'm a lot more likely, a lot, to buy from a seller I trust than someone I don't know.  

+100

The community here is alive and well! Just ask @Comcav lol

15 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

With respect, I don't see Ray's post as motivated by a sense of entitlement.   I believe he's pointing out that the sales forum has changed and it's more and more just a venue to move books for anyone wanting to make a buck rather than an offshoot of this collecting community.  It's also a direct reflection of what's happening in the hobby as it becomes more about what a book is worth than the book itself.

The rules are there for a reason and there's nothing wrong with politely pointing out or pming the seller about a problem.  The majority of violations are new boardies and usually the problem is related to the seller's bottom line.  

+1. Great post.

2 hours ago, szavisca said:

Those good ole days musta been something to see...I've only been buying and selling here for about 6 months and I'm still like holy #$@^ this is the best thing ever.

Gotten 2 hard to find in grade GA books at very reasonable prices from putting up WTB posts....traded one nice book I had for some cash and 8 other books with someone 2,000 miles away from me...sold a few things at a nice but not ridiculous profit... and have bought a few books that I was never able to find even on ebay in over a year of searching.  If there's any other forum where I could do this someone please point me to it!

Agree 100%!  I’ve bought most of my books off the boards and couldn’t be happier.  I’m always confident in the books I get and don’t have to worry about the hassles involved with buying on eBay etc.  Its an honest community which weeds out the bad seeds quickly.  

Sales threads are also educational.  A couple of weeks ago @Ltpink2002 put on a museum-level sales thread that was entertaining just as a spectator.  Books I’ve never seen and books you rarely see for sale or in auction.  You won’t find these opportunities anywhere else and I find that invaluable.

2 hours ago, TheFifthHorseman said:

+100

The community here is alive and well! Just ask @Comcav lol

When Comcav starts selling tickets to his museum I’ll be first in line to buy one!!!

On 11/4/2017 at 12:19 PM, comicquant said:

If the boards are that important to you do us all favors and take a lesson from the sqeggs, jimjums, gotham kids, GAtors, blazingbobs, vintagecomics, lizards and Marwoods ( <-- newbies, follow these people) of the boards and learn how to positively support the community by making worthwhile contributions.

I know you didn't know this, because you were blindfolded during the initiation ceremony, but I was the one with the biggest paddle.

image.png.43d86ac9e7c18edce58bdf9c06aa7350.png

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Agree 100%!  I’ve bought most of my books off the boards and couldn’t be happier.  I’m always confident in the books I get and don’t have to worry about the hassles involved with buying on eBay etc.  Its an honest community which weeds out the bad seeds quickly.  

Sales threads are also educational.  A couple of weeks ago @Ltpink2002 put on a museum-level sales thread that was entertaining just as a spectator.  Books I’ve never seen and books you rarely see for sale or in auction.  You won’t find these opportunities anywhere else and I find that invaluable.

When Comcav starts selling tickets .0

0is museum I’ll be first in line to buy one!!!

:cry:  I don't think I can afford a ticket

• Administrator

Oh man... does a market-place specific thread qualify for my official "the end is coming/here" post? I think I need a ruling... who mods the mods? I might be busted for being off topic...

:whatthe:

:shy:

I haven't been here as long as a lot of you, and lurked for quite some time before I contributed, mostly because I didn't feel like I knew enough to contribute anything worthwhile.  Over time, the amount of knowledge I've gleaned from these boards is staggering.

On topic, I don't think the marketplace is what it was even 5 years ago, yet I still manage to find incredible books at reasonable prices.  Most of the books in my collection that I classify as "untouchable" have come from this marketplace.  I feel like sellers offering fantastic books to this community still happens with great frequency.  Some of the books I've gotten here I feel like would have been unattainable had they gone to auction.  I've built enough of a relationship with people that sometimes sellers reach out to me with specific books before they list just because they know I'm looking for something.  Try finding that on ebay, or Heritage.

The marketplace is just one aspect of this community that makes it amazing, sometimes it just takes people a minute to find their way to the other forums. 

Plus, who wants to talk to @lizards2 or @oakman29 that much anyway? :sumo: 

4 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I haven't been here as long as a lot of you, and lurked for quite some time before I contributed, mostly because I didn't feel like I knew enough to contribute anything worthwhile.  Over time, the amount of knowledge I've gleaned from these boards is staggering.

On topic, I don't think the marketplace is what it was even 5 years ago, yet I still manage to find incredible books at reasonable prices.  Most of the books in my collection that I classify as "untouchable" have come from this marketplace.  I feel like sellers offering fantastic books to this community still happens with great frequency.  Some of the books I've gotten here I feel like would have been unattainable had they gone to auction.  I've built enough of a relationship with people that sometimes sellers reach out to me with specific books before they list just because they know I'm looking for something.  Try finding that on ebay, or Heritage.

The marketplace is just one aspect of this community that makes it amazing, sometimes it just takes people a minute to find their way to the other forums. 

You were pretty talkative at the Bareback Lounge last Friday, at least until we left for your apartment.

I wouldn't diss Oakie too much though, as he's got reaper skills.

I stopped seeing deals here years ago. And I believe the "sense of community" was really trashed by the people who use these boards as nothing more than a venue to sell things at the same price and avoid paying fees as well. There are a few "well known sellers" that I absolutely can not stand because I don't believe they give a rats behind about the people here, only their money. I used to love selling here, now I upload 50 books and then im like "I'll just dump them on ebay". I REALLY miss the old guard when it comes to this, people would actually PM you saying that someone is selling something youre looking for. Now everything is either marked up over FMV or bought in 15 seconds and relisted for a higher price at another venue. Heck, you cant even believe the "its for my collection" anymore. Tons of guys pulled that and then dumped it for profit a day later.

Ah well, rant over.

20 minutes ago, lizards2 said:
26 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

You were pretty talkative at the Bareback Lounge last Friday, at least until we left for your apartment.

I wouldn't diss Oakie too much though, as he's got reaper skills.

I read the last line as 'rapper skills'

16 hours ago, Architecht said:

Oh man... does a market-place specific thread qualify for my official "the end is coming/here" post? I think I need a ruling... who mods the mods? I might be busted for being off topic...

:whatthe:

:shy:

If we can listen to captain insane O ramble about himself in 6 threads, I think it's safe to say we are okay with discussing the current temperature of the boards without to much wrist-slappin' action.

But I do miss you dropping in and having a few laughs. Arch is always going to be the best Mod.