• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

Just now, entalmighty1 said:
3 hours ago, lizards2 said:

You were pretty talkative at the Bareback Lounge last Friday, at least until we left for your apartment.

I wouldn't diss Oakie too much though, as he's got reaper skills.

michaelscottshh.gif

That's what she said.  lol

3 hours ago, The Resurrection said:

I stopped seeing deals here years ago. And I believe the "sense of community" was really trashed by the people who use these boards as nothing more than a venue to sell things at the same price and avoid paying fees as well. There are a few "well known sellers" that I absolutely can not stand because I don't believe they give a rats behind about the people here, only their money. I used to love selling here, now I upload 50 books and then im like "I'll just dump them on ebay". I REALLY miss the old guard when it comes to this, people would actually PM you saying that someone is selling something youre looking for. Now everything is either marked up over FMV or bought in 15 seconds and relisted for a higher price at another venue. Heck, you cant even believe the "its for my collection" anymore. Tons of guys pulled that and then dumped it for profit a day later.

Ah well, rant over.

Agreed on all points.

There are guys here who sell lots of books who I don't trust or aren't involved other than to move books.  Also a high post count is no guarantee of a high level of trust.

Sell a book cheap to a collector only to see it flipped for a profit and/or pressed and flipped for an even better profit and you'll quick quit giving deals.  Ultimately this is all a reflection of what's happening in our hobby and there's no going back.

• Administrator
1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Agreed on all points.

There are guys here who sell lots of books who I don't trust or aren't involved other than to move books.  Also a high post count is no guarantee of a high level of trust.

Sell a book cheap to a collector only to see it flipped for a profit and/or pressed and flipped for an even better profit and you'll quick quit giving deals.  Ultimately this is all a reflection of what's happening in our hobby and there's no going back.

Maybe a community maintained list... If you buy a book indicating it's a grail / collection piece, and then flip it within X time, you go on the list as a flipper -- not inherently a bad thing, but good information that might go into pricing...?

Just now, Architecht said:

Maybe a community maintained list... If you buy a book indicating it's a grail / collection piece, and then flip it within X time, you go on the list as a flipper -- not inherently a bad thing, but good information that might go into pricing...?

That's a fun can of worms.  Alex, I'll take night crawlers for $200.

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Agreed on all points.

I'm in a melancholic reflective mood so I wonder why is what you state true. Money to made I guess. Wasn't Money to be made in the 60s and 70s?

what do I know. :sorry:

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

I'm in a melancholic reflective mood so I wonder why is what you state true. Money to made I guess. Wasn't Money to be made in the 60s and 70s?

what do I know. :sorry:

Sure there was always money to be made.  Just seems like comics are the in thing and everyone is speculating on them.  American Pickers picked a collector last night and featured an AF 15 and an early Superman issue. 

And it's not all bad, collectors who've spent their lives collecting and loving these books and are starting to downsize are doing very well when they sell, and these high prices are helping to bring amazing books to market that were rarely seen before.

On 11/1/2017 at 4:57 PM, Bighaley21 said:

Is it just me or does there seem to be a large number of new board members that contribute nothing to the community but trying to sell their books? I get that there are quite a few people that do this for a living but from day one I felt a sense of community here on the boards and it kind of rubs me the wrong way when I see members like this. Am I the only one that feels this way?

On the flip side we have a number of members that only buy books too. Some of these being other dealers.

No rules to break by being only interested in the retail aspect.

Edited by N e r V

22 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:
24 minutes ago, Architecht said:

That's a fun can of worms.  Alex, I'll take night crawlers for $200.

Yeah - what do we get if we lower the grade, lower the price and identify the previous seller?

As to TheResurrection's point I happen to agree (although there shouldn't be any rational difference between selling to someone who will keep vs one who wants to flip), and I'd have priced my recent thread a bit lower if I knew books were going into collectors' boxes, but I ain't gonna be no sucka, so priced them a bit closer to market. 

Thing is, things in life can change on a dime, and I wouldn't have a problem with someone who told me they were a 'keeper-collector' needing to sell a month later because a disaster hit.  It's the intent at the time of purchase - but geez I'm not going to complicate the first post (rulz) with all that krap.

Edited by grebal
wasn't fishing

10 minutes ago, Architecht said:

It gets pretty complicated.

That would be tough to do unless you kept it to PM, how would you raise the price in a thread?  Tell people on a thread that if you are on the flipper's list, you get to pay 25% more?

The grail stuff usually comes up in a PM, which can be awkward to share.   

It's hard to determine who is just blowing smoke in your ear ...or is that "eyes"?

We also have a few addicted collectors who just like to buy stuff, and a few people are envious of their ability. 

What do you say to them..."sorry, you need to have less money/be slower"?

You can't always tell if it's solely to flip unless you see the book  sold quickly as raw here. They get pressed, slabbed and put on Clink etc, or are sold by PM. Sometimes it's a "dealer" who grabs the book and flips it, that's their job. 

I had a very nice person pm saying that he saw I admired a book he grabbed and it could be mine for only $XXX more the next day.  What do you say about that stuff?  Books are going up in price and some people "flip" bargains just to be able to afford the next step edition. That's what he says he does.  I believe him, just didn't want to pay anything extra the next week.

What I'd like to see is some kind of posting rule, that you need to post at least X # of times before  you can sell...and not just in the sales forum.

I'd also like a requirement that we show pictures of both sides of the book/slab if the price is over XXX.  It would just avoid problems.  

It was more fun when the forum was the premier spot, and the sales threads were just an aside, it would be nice to have it at least 50/50.

Don't get me wrong, I love shopping and selling here, I could easily just sell on eBay, but I like the camaraderie here. and the just for the "money" people are less than some people think.  

A lot of people get star stuck by the higher priced stuff and it's a way they can afford to buy it (flipping).

30 minutes ago, Architecht said:

We know how to eliminate the riff raff, or have you forgotten my ability to get under peoples skin