• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Influx of new sellers on the boards
2 2

167 posts in this topic

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:25 AM, Foolkiller said:

People are entitled to ask whatever they want and of course for books that are hot, they should ask whatever they feel is fair.  I would say when I am truly interested in moving something I perceive as common, I discount to GPA because we are on a fee free forum.  Cost of doing business if I go to eBay or I have to auction it, and I pass that savings on if I can. 

^^

35 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Agreed on all points.

There are guys here who sell lots of books who I don't trust or aren't involved other than to move books.  Also a high post count is no guarantee of a high level of trust.

Sell a book cheap to a collector only to see it flipped for a profit and/or pressed and flipped for an even better profit and you'll quick quit giving deals.  Ultimately this is all a reflection of what's happening in our hobby and there's no going back.

We have always known who the good guys are, we just lost alot of good guys to the leeches.

Just now, The Resurrection said:

We know how to eliminate the riff raff, or have you forgotten my ability to get under peoples skin

That's it, hire Pat as the board "bouncer".

I can see it now..."Hey buddy, you gonna keep that book for a few weeks?  No? Get Outta Here! Thump..."

(Jersey is close to Brooklyn, right?:)"

Just now, skypinkblu said:

That's it, hire Pat as the board "bouncer".

I can see it now..."Hey buddy, you gonna keep that book for a few weeks?  No? Get Outta Here! Thump..."

(Jersey is close to Brooklyn, right?:)"

No, I just make them melt down. I have a way of bringing out the best in people :devil:

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

It is getting to the point with me that I rarely buy or sell anywhere but here on the boards. I rarely buy at the big auction houses (high prices), ebay (high prices and questionable descriptions), Cons rarely have what I want. Selling on ebay is a shoot. I only sell stuff to support this expensive habit anyway.

Frankly, I don't care one bit what one does with a book once I have sold it. If it is for your collection, great, always happy to help out a fellow collector. If you flip it and make a profit good as well. I sold it for what I needed to get. If you make a little, you might be back for more. If I screwed up on price, that's on me and I can live with it. I've heard the "it's for my collection" or "it's my "grail" forever from flippers. Doesn't matter to me.

Now, since I have been here, I have developed relationships with other board members that I like and respect. I often offer them the book or item direct before I throw it out to the public because of this. If I don't know you, I don't feel that need to do so. 

Sometimes, I really don't know the true market value on a book. That's when it goes to ebay. I let the market decide. I often get a lot more from ebay than I would get here. I have offered books here that didn't sell and seen them double or tripple on the bay. 

I have zero problem with someone buying a book I list in a thread and then selling it an hour later. I always guess at prices anyway, most of us don't know the true price for "every" book.  The only thing I find annoying is when someone begs me for something I was not planning on selling, I say OK, and they sell it very shortly thereafter. 

That's partly my fault, too. I could just say no thank you all the time, instead of just some of the time.  But it bothers me if I think they do it intentionally.

That's because you are a person with a big heart Sharon. Me, I've got a heart of stone when it comes to that. I almost never sell a book I don't want to unless it is to a real good friend that I know well. And then, if I don't want to, I don't. If I do and it gets flipped and I find out, the "friendship" is dissolved and I would "spread the word" about the person.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

It is getting to the point with me that I rarely buy or sell anywhere but here on the boards. I rarely buy at the big auction houses (high prices), ebay (high prices and questionable descriptions), Cons rarely have what I want. Selling on ebay is a shoot. I only sell stuff to support this expensive habit anyway.

Frankly, I don't care one bit what one does with a book once I have sold it. If it is for your collection, great, always happy to help out a fellow collector. If you flip it and make a profit good as well. I sold it for what I needed to get. If you make a little, you might be back for more. If I screwed up on price, that's on me and I can live with it. I've heard the "it's for my collection" or "it's my "grail" forever from flippers. Doesn't matter to me.

Now, since I have been here, I have developed relationships with other board members that I like and respect. I often offer them the book or item direct before I throw it out to the public because of this. If I don't know you, I don't feel that need to do so. 

Sometimes, I really don't know the true market value on a book. That's when it goes to ebay. I let the market decide. I often get a lot more from ebay than I would get here. I have offered books here that didn't sell and seen them double or tripple on the bay. 

well said! :golfclap: #respect

7 minutes ago, The Resurrection said:
12 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

:smile:  And that really browns my cookies.

Glad to see you posting again.

I love cookies

You guys are really gaying up the place, not that that is a bad thing. I enjoy my time with jimmers too.

1 minute ago, The Resurrection said:
4 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

You guys are really gaying up the place, not that that is a bad thing. I enjoy my time with jimmers too.

At least jimmers is loved

yeah - torch is just using you