• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Daredevil 1
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Due to crazy happening I've finally decided that I shall have to liquidate my complete original owner (90% bought off the newstand) collection and I am debating what books are worth sending to CGC, please let me know your thoughts guys, Ive been out of the game for a decade or so, so all feedback is greatly appreciated. I'll be putting up a selection of books that I feel may justify being sent, if I've got it wrong please let me know, I can't afford to mess this decision up!!!

All grade advice and guidance is invaluable to me. Also In doing my research today I have discovered something called pressing (wasn't around in my collecting heyday) so if any books look like they may benefit from this please let me know.

thanks in advance guys 

Rye.

Here's my Daredevil 1

IMG_2806.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

IMG_2808.JPG

IMG_2811.JPG

Another nice book. What's going on with that top staple, is it detached ? If so, you will get a green, qualified label. Also, is that rust migration on the bottom staple ? If so, that will hurt the grade. Pressing may help the presentation a little but I don't think it will help the grade much. Remember, pressing will not only add cost but add to the turnaround time. Your call. Depending on the staple issues, I think this book would struggle to get a 6.0, maybe 5.5 . 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

No pressing 

Did you see the rust migration on the bottom staple ? I don't think they will like the ink on the BC either. Awfully rough top edge. Sorry, I don't see it in this range.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

Did you see the rust migration on the bottom staple ? I don't think they will like the ink on the BC either. Awfully rough top edge. Sorry, I don't see it in this range.

I agree

Rye, I think you are flooding the PGM thread, against guidelines. 3 books max a day. I'm not going to report you but the mods can close your threads.

POSTING LIMITS
2. Please post only one (1) book per thread and a maximum of three (3) books per person in a 24 hour period. It will make it more enjoyable for people to grade and will also encourage more people to grade your submission.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Also what's up with the top right of back?

I see the brown on back cover now near bottom staple, but the staple's look attached to me, so I'm thinking 5.5 is on target; maybe 6.0 if there is any grace here :wishluck:

Sorry guys, huge apologies, I didn't realize that there was a daily limit. Im stopping now !

Just in a real panic to get things going on my end.

Thank you all for your replies.

By the way the staples are all secure

17 minutes ago, RYEBABY said:

Sorry guys, huge apologies, I didn't realize that there was a daily limit. Im stopping now !

Just in a real panic to get things going on my end.

Thank you all for your replies.

By the way the staples are all secure

What about rust ? There is clearly something on the bottom staple. 

4 minutes ago, RYEBABY said:

Hi Bob, just taken a couple of pics that may help 

IMG_2867.JPG

IMG_2870.JPG

It does appear there are spots of rust on that bottom staple. The rust migration stain, which is above the staple may have been a stacking issue = the comic below it had rust. Were these books bagged and boarded ? That migration stain obviously goes through the cover onto the pages. I think I may now be in a 5.0 range, with 5.5 the max.

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

It does appear there are spots of rust on that bottom staple. The rust migration stain, which is above the staple may have been a stacking issue = the comic below it had rust. Were these books bagged and boarded ? That migration stain obviously goes through the cover onto the pages. I think I may now be in a 5.0 range, with 5.5 the max.

They have all been bagged and boarded for decades, (Bags and boards changed every 2/3 years) I think this must have occurred back in the dark old days when it was actually being read/used, I think the initials on the front may actually be from my cousin! Remind me to thank him when i see him next :facepalm:

48 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also what's up with the top right of back?

I see what you are referring to but I think it's okay. This is typical of the aging process of a Marvel book where the cover gets an 'oily' look, starting in the center and spreading out. The white area we are seeing is still free of this spreading.

2 minutes ago, RYEBABY said:

They have all been bagged and boarded for decades, (Bags and boards changed every 2/3 years) I think this must have occurred back in the dark old days when it was actually being read/used, I think the initials on the front may actually be from my cousin! Remind me to thank him when i see him next :facepalm:

Actually, I don't think the initials will be an issue for the graders. It is small and neat. However, the ink blots on the back will be a problem.

5 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I see what you are referring to but I think it's okay. This is typical of the aging process of a Marvel book where the cover gets an 'oily' look, starting in the center and spreading out. The white area we are seeing is still free of this spreading.

The top staple inside and out of book. 

IMG_2873.JPG

IMG_2872.JPG

15 minutes ago, RYEBABY said:

as bob surmised it's probably rust from the book it was on top of !

In summary, I do think this book is worth submitting, most keys are. I'll repeat my statement that pressing may help the presentation a little but it will not help the grade. There are simply too many other defects that will hold the grade down to a certain level no matter how 'flat' the book is. I think this book, as it stands, will look pretty good in a nice, new, clear CGC slab ! Good luck.

1 minute ago, Bomber-Bob said:

In summary, I do think this book is worth submitting, most keys are. I'll repeat my statement that pressing may help the presentation a little but it will not help the grade. There are simply too many other defects that will hold the grade down to a certain level no matter how 'flat' the book is. I think this book, as it stands, will look pretty good in a nice, new, clear CGC slab ! Good luck.

Many thanks for your help, i'll post the result when I get it back