• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FM Ronin
2 2

40 posts in this topic

Having heard the story over the years that Frank Miller only released limited pages from this series and mainly from the first issue, I started tracking them down.  List compiled from the Heritage archives, past ComicLink sales, CAF and other resources. Here are the known pages that are out there so far.  

Please feel free to add your own knowledge, theory or just thoughts.

A33E3B22-527F-4A52-9996-1C461CA2238B.jpeg

Edited by Reader

Ronin #1

p. 1

p. 5

p. 6

p. 7

p. 8

p. 10 -On eBay as of 3NOV2017

p. 11

pp. 16-17 DPS

p. 18 -On Heritage as of 20JAN2018

p. 20

p. 22

p. 24

p. 25

p. 26

p. 27

p. 28

p. 29

pp. 32-33 DPS

Ronin #4 Unpublished cover

Edited by Reader

1 hour ago, Reader said:

Here's the unpublished cover to Ronin #4 which sold at Heritage in November 2016.  I can't remember where I found the colorized version online.

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

Saw this piece in person at HA in Beverly Hills last year. A little smaller than I had imagined.

Coincidentally, saw it again a few months later at a private collector's home, just sitting in a pile of stuff.  (As an aside, this is yet another collector who's not on CAF , doesn't engage with other collectors, and is resolutely off-the-radar.)

The DPS of the Ronin killing Agat by running the sword through his own body first, is out there, in another black hole collection. Originally sold by Albert. There's a picture floating around of it on Albert's SDCC wall circa the late '90s/early '00s.

3 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Saw this piece in person at HA in Beverly Hills last year. A little smaller than I had imagined.

Coincidentally, saw it again a few months later at a private collector's home, just sitting in a pile of stuff.  (As an aside, this is yet another collector who's not on CAF , doesn't engage with other collectors, and is resolutely off-the-radar.)

The DPS of the Ronin killing Agat by running the sword through his own body first, is out there, in another black hole collection. Originally sold by Albert. There's a picture floating around of it on Albert's SDCC wall circa the late '90s/early '00s.

I remember when Albert had that dps.  I think it was $2500-3000.  Did not pull the trigger.  Stupid, stupid, stupid. :facepalm:

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

11 hours ago, Nexus said:

I would love to have that piece.

#1 page 1 sold on Heritage for $8962 on 11.2011

#1 page 5 sold on CL for $9725 on 08.2012

#1 page 6 did not sold on CL (reserve $12500) on 09.2014, and sold on Heritage for $7170 on 08.2015

#1 page 24 sold on Heritage for $8365 on 02.2012

On 04/11/2017 at 1:29 AM, Nexus said:

If Miller kept most of the art from the issues after #1, it surprises me that one of the pieces he did let go was this piece.  It's the one piece that everyone who read the series always remembers.  I remember being so blown away that I was showing it to non-collectors in my dorm.

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

If Miller kept most of the art from the issues after #1, it surprises me that one of the pieces he did let go was this piece.  It's the one piece that everyone who read the series always remembers.  I remember being so blown away that I was showing it to non-collectors in my dorm.

Total deja vu here...I'm fairly certain that there's been another RONIN thread here from years ago, where I posted that pic of the splash on Albert's wall, and you replied with the same story! I hope you get to be the next owner!

I agree...that was the most memorable scene for me, too. Did not see that coming, and afterward, loved how Miller had set it up perfectly.

3 hours ago, Nexus said:
7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Total deja vu here...I'm fairly certain that there's been another RONIN thread here from years ago, where I posted that pic of the splash on Albert's wall, and you replied with the same story! I hope you get to be the next owner!

I don't remember that, but if I did, at least it shows that I'm totally consistent! :bigsmile:

11 hours ago, Nexus said:

I agree...that was the most memorable scene for me, too. Did not see that coming, and afterward, loved how Miller had set it up perfectly.

I believe that there is actually a story to be told about how and why all those Ronin #1 pages found their way to market 10-15 years ago.  I don't KNOW the story personally, but the fact that they all showed up at once from one source and not through Miller hints at something...

Scott

It turns out, some of the pages from Ronin #1 are stolen. Possibly from DC or a First Friday get together back in the day. First Friday was a get together of professionals socializing. 

Which pages exactly, is not quite clear. No police report was filed.

It is suspected that the page in the current Heritage auction might be one of the stolen pages. 

But since there is no concrete list, nor a police report of stolen items, the art is fair game to sell.

MI

I own page 25 from Issue #1, which isn't on your list.  Love the Miller pencils and inks.  First time he did this raw aggressive style.  I remember getting the call to inquire if I wanted to buy a page from this issue, and having a choice of most pages still available.  Wish I bought more, but alas I was still in training with (relatively) limited funds.