• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FM Ronin
2 2

40 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, heartened said:

I own page 25 from Issue #1, which isn't on your list.  Love the Miller pencils and inks.  First time he did this raw aggressive style.  I remember getting the call to inquire if I wanted to buy a page from this issue, and having a choice of most pages still available.  Wish I bought more, but alas I was still in training with (relatively) limited funds.

Was this when Spencer was selling a big pile of pages Hari?  I think that was around 2004 or 2005?  I bought 6 pages then.  Should have bought them all.  :pullhair:

30 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Was this when Spencer was selling a big pile of pages Hari?  I think that was around 2004 or 2005?  I bought 6 pages then.  Should have bought them all.  :pullhair:

I wonder how Spencer got those pages, as most were stolen.

1 hour ago, artdealer said:

I wonder how Spencer got those pages, as most were stolen.

Never a dull moment in this hobby. Mitch, who was the rightful owner and why wasn't a legal complaint made? (or was it?)

45 minutes ago, vodou said:

Never a dull moment in this hobby. Mitch, who was the rightful owner and why wasn't a legal complaint made? (or was it?)

Frank and Lynn.
They never filed a police report. The art was stolen from their apartment during a party or they bought pages to show to a party. 

21 minutes ago, artdealer said:

Frank and Lynn.
They never filed a police report. The art was stolen from their apartment during a party or they bought pages to show to a party. 

Is that the entirety of book 1 that was 'lost'?

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Yup, must have been late 2003 though.  I was still in Philadelphia and I left there in June 2004. 

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:51 PM, artdealer said:

No. About half of the first book.

So what's the story?  How does only half of a book get stolen?  And I'm wondering what's the point of bringing all this up 15 years later after a Graphitti Edition, no police report and silence from the Miller/Varley camp?  Seriously, these pages went quickly to true fans of the work - folks who would have more than likely gladly given it back to Frank if he asked.  Or is this more a statement aimed at Spencer?  Honestly, inquiring minds want to know.

26 minutes ago, heartened said:

So what's the story?  How does only half of a book get stolen?  And I'm wondering what's the point of bringing all this up 15 years later after a Graphitti Edition, no police report and silence from the Miller/Varley camp?  Seriously, these pages went quickly to true fans of the work - folks who would have more than likely gladly given it back to Frank if he asked.  Or is this more a statement aimed at Spencer?  Honestly, inquiring minds want to know.

Um, nothing aimed at anyone.
Just wanted to bring it up as I thought it was an interesting story that was told to me.

26 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Love it!

I've got a page with a patch like that which I've been slowly trying to loosen for the last year... 

Me too. And I've got a splash where the entire splash image is on loosely glued duotone board and underneath on the bristol itself is the original pencils...the whole splash could be hinged :headbang:

That is very nicely done and a perfect way to present both the original and redrawn art. I wonder if I would have had the glue removed (if possible) but having it there is still part of the process which is very cool to see. Thanks for sharing that, we all just got to see some Ronin art for the first time. Like watching a Directors Cut of your favorite 80s movie.

19 minutes ago, Reader said:

That is very nicely done and a perfect way to present both the original and redrawn art. I wonder if I would have had the glue removed (if possible) but having it there is still part of the process which is very cool to see. Thanks for sharing that, we all just got to see some Ronin art for the first time. Like watching a Directors Cut of your favorite 80s movie.

Removing the glue stains would require a much more complicated and expensive process.  What you suggest is not crazy, but this less invasive approach I took is more than enough for me.

48 minutes ago, Grails said:

Anyone else looking at that Ronin page thats been on eBay at 15k for a while now? If it was on a well known dealer site, I would not have reservations about it. I’m just not an ebayer anymore.

I bought a high-dollar page from her a couple years ago. She is legit.