• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie art: any fans and collectors here?
2 2

190 posts in this topic

Dan DeCarlo and his various inkers. (A crash course.)

Dan DeCarlo inked by James DeCarlo:

Dan DeCarlo - Bingo Wilkin pinup Comic Art

Dan DeCarlo inked by Rudy Lapick:

Dan DeCarlo - Pep #196 - p16 Comic Art

Dan DeCarlo inks himself:

Dan DeCarlo - Archie Giant Series #612 Comic Art

Dan DeCarlo inked by Henry Scarpelli:

Dan DeCarlo - Cheryl Blossom #27 Comic Art

Dan DeCarlo inked by Alison Flood:

Dan DeCarlo - Betty & Veronica Spectacular #32 Comic Art

Dan DeCarlo inked by Jon D'Agostino:

Dan DeCarlo - Sabrina the Teenage Witch #24 - p18 Comic Art

And as I said before: "When in doubt, ask Dan Parent!"

Edited by Caltex98

Very interesting examples of inking differences. I didn't realize that the inkers induced so much 'creativity' into the pieces. I wonder how much of the differences can also be attributed to the change in  style over the decades that DeCarlo was active.

I just want to say I love that this thread was started. Been a fan of Archie Comics all my life, and it was one of the happiest days of my collecting history to be able to own Archie OA. I've enjoyed doing it privately, but seeing others share their pages, and information has taken my appreciation to a new level. Great stuff!

12 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I just want to say I love that this thread was started. Been a fan of Archie Comics all my life, and it was one of the happiest days of my collecting history to be able to own Archie OA. I've enjoyed doing it privately, but seeing others share their pages, and information has taken my appreciation to a new level. Great stuff!

Show it :baiting:

Please:) 

So I have recently purchased my first four pages of OA ever. They are Archie because I'm an Archie nut. I know nothing about prices, desirability, etc. I bought them because I hope to display them. I realise before I even pose this question that it is vague, but how much does a cover usually go for? Pages? I get that era, content, artist all play their part in deciding the price, but, for example, what price would you not be able to find an Archie cover for? In other words what seems to be the entry level for a cover, a page, etc. ?

1 hour ago, soulcage said:

Very interesting examples of inking differences. I didn't realize that the inkers induced so much 'creativity' into the pieces. I wonder how much of the differences can also be attributed to the change in  style over the decades that DeCarlo was active.

DeCarlo's style didn't change that much. If you compare his Irma and Pearl stuff to what he did in the 90's most of it looks almost the same (maybe a little "looser around the edges"), the things that changed were the fashions and hairdos. DeCarlo is said to have subscribed to teen magazines and making "field trips" to keep up with the changes in fashion so the books always were up to date fashionwise. It was him who was mainly responsible for replacing Archie's somewhat dated threads from the forties with more contemporary outfits. He also made the girls change their hair in the mid sixties (Betty swapping her pigtails for her signature ponytail for instance).

Here is a video showing Rich Koslowski inking a Dan DeCarlo pinup. He sure makes it look easy:

Edited by Caltex98

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

So I have recently purchased my first four pages of OA ever. They are Archie because I'm an Archie nut. I know nothing about prices, desirability, etc. I bought them because I hope to display them. I realise before I even pose this question that it is vague, but how much does a cover usually go for? Pages? I get that era, content, artist all play their part in deciding the price, but, for example, what price would you not be able to find an Archie cover for? In other words what seems to be the entry level for a cover, a page, etc. ?

I think $150 or so for a cover is probably the starting point...

40 minutes ago, WayneE said:

Thanks so much for sharing that, Caltex98 -- I love those art-process-in-action videos. Koslowski sure does make it look easy, though I know its anything but!

You're most welcome. And while I am on the subject of Rich Koslowski...

Rich inking Fernando Ruiz:

Fernando Ruiz - Archie #612 - p6 Comic Art

Rich inking Gisèle Lagacé (from the "Reversedale"-story in Archie #636):

Gisèle Lagacé - Archie #636 - p23 Comic Art

Rich inking Bill Galvan:

Bill Galvan - Archie #649 - p1 Comic Art

Rich inking Jeff Shultz:

Jeff Shultz - Veronica #73 - p18 Comic Art

And finally Rich inking himself (from the graphic novel B.B. Wolf anf the Three LP's):

Rich Koslowski - B.B. Wolf and the Three LP's - p54 Comic Art

If you find yourself in the vincinity of Santa Cruz I suggest you visit Rich in his art supply store in Aptos, Art Supplies, Ink. Who knows, he might even have some original art for sale at reasonable rates?

Edited by Caltex98

1 hour ago, Patriot6 said:

Show it :baiting:

Please:) 

Since you asked so nicely... :smile:

Archie TV Laugh Out #84 cover by Stan Goldberg

Archie Sunday strip from Sept 19, 1980, well because it's Sunday! Believe it to be Dan DeCarlo, but @Caltex98 might know better

He's A Card, 5-page story by Samm Schwartz, because it's a story collectors relate all too well with... 

And the Jughead "Pest Control", a 5-page story by Samm Schwartz that is freshly scanned, first time share! :smile:

Archie_TV_Laugh-Out_84.jpg

Sunday_Sept9_1980.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg1.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg2.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg3.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg4.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg5.jpg

Jughead_pg1_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg2_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg3_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg4_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg5_sm.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

24 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Since you asked so nicely... :smile:

Archie TV Laugh Out #84 cover by Stan Goldberg

Archie Sunday strip from Sept 19, 1980, well because it's Sunday! Believe it to be Dan DeCarlo, but @Caltex98 might know better

He's A Card, 5-page story by Samm Schwartz, because it's a story collectors relate all too well with... 

And the Jughead "Pest Control", a 5-page story by Samm Schwartz that is freshly scanned, first time share! :smile:

Archie_TV_Laugh-Out_84.jpg

Sunday_Sept9_1980.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg1.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg2.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg3.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg4.jpg

Jughead_He's_A_Card_pg5.jpg

Jughead_pg1_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg2_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg3_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg4_sm.jpg

Jughead_pg5_sm.jpg

:luhv:

Whoa! Some really cool display candidates there. I agree with you about keeping the story intact. I also felt like I was reading the story in a totally novel fashion when I went through the Jughead story. You really get a whole new appreciation for the art. Awesome find!