• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full backs or Half backs with my Mylites 2????
2 2

60 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to re-board my HG Iron Man 1-332 run and I am wondering if I should use half backs or the thicker full backs. I don't know that I have ever seen a fullback so if anyone has a preference they would like to share or some picks of the different thickness it would be greatly appreciated.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

What is the recommended time to change them? Once every 3 years?

I don't know but I noticed some of my boards from when I was a kid looking really bad (35 years ago) soooo...probably sooner than that I'm guessing.

Just now, WoWitHurts said:

I don't know but I noticed some of my boards from when I was a kid looking really bad (35 years ago) soooo...probably sooner than that I'm guessing.

Thanks lolI noticed someone posted 1-3 year thing a while ago, but your right I should go look at my 30 year old bagnboards. I've read one or 2 recently and remember OW pages, but some I'd like to keep nice.....Even though they're all readers 

5 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Thanks lolI noticed someone posted 1-3 year thing a while ago, but your right I should go look at my 30 year old bagnboards. I've read one or 2 recently and remember OW pages, but some I'd like to keep nice.....Even though they're all readers 

Yeah, most of my OO books that survived my basement taking on water that I get graded come back white pages. So 1-3 years is maybe too aggressive AND expensive. But 35 years I am SURE is too long! 

16 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I am getting ready to re-board my HG Iron Man 1-332 run and I am wondering if I should use half backs or the thicker full backs. I don't know that I have ever seen a fullback so if anyone has a preference they would like to share or some picks of the different thickness it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 1 fullback boards E. Gerber if you're interest. Just pay for shipping and it's yours. 

There's no doubt the fullbacks feel a lot firmer but I would think, when stacked tightly in a box, the half backs do the job. Also, you can fit more books in a box with halfbacks. For the books that may need extra support I will use full backs. Regarding the 1.5 fullback approach, I don't think you want things too tight as it may harm the spine or staples. I love the OCD that comes with comic collecting !!!

Just now, Bomber-Bob said:

This is interesting but since we don't store our comics like this, what's the point ? Boards are usually applied in a vertical fashion anyway.  Don't forget the mylar adds support also.

Sturdiness of backing board is always important when handling, holding or storing books.

Otherwise - why even use a "board"? Just use buffered paper like microchamber paper. (shrug)

3 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

This is interesting but since we don't store our comics like this, what's the point ? Boards are usually applied in a vertical fashion anyway.  Don't forget the mylar adds support also.

Just now, jcjames said:

Sturdiness of backing board is always important when handling, holding or storing books.

Otherwise - why even use a "board"? Just use buffered paper like microchamber paper. (shrug)

how much does the typical comic weigh? I don't have my scale in front of me...

Fullbacks all the way.  Not only for the superior structural support.  They are a stronger buffer against acidic gases, and so provide better long-term protection and require changing less frequently, if ever.

For what I consider my top tier books, I use a halfback in a 1mil Mylite, taped down tightly in the back, with the comic placed 'upside down'. This combo, turned so the comic is now right side up, then goes into a 4mil mylar. It seems pretty sturdy, though I have never placed them on bricks and added weight. The fullback/2mil combo do present better, the colors really pop.

Edited by Bomber-Bob