• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Full backs or Half backs with my Mylites 2????
2 2

60 posts in this topic

I store all my comics laying down.I alternate every one with spine left then spine right.why do i do this? After years of boxes stored on top of one another.I found that the boxes on under stacks had all the comics curling.it didn't matter if the boxes were filled tightly.I have space constraints with over 60 short boxes.I'm hoping to find a shelving system eventually.

With mylites I use whatever are the regular boards you buy from bcw. And I stack them on top of each other.mylites tend get puffy when standing up verticle.really I'm surprised more people don't store their books like this for longer term storage.those bottom books get nice and flat ? 

2 hours ago, cortown71 said:

I store all my comics laying down.I alternate every one with spine left then spine right.why do i do this? After years of boxes stored on top of one another.I found that the boxes on under stacks had all the comics curling.it didn't matter if the boxes were filled tightly.I have space constraints with over 60 short boxes.I'm hoping to find a shelving system eventually.

With mylites I use whatever are the regular boards you buy from bcw. And I stack them on top of each other.mylites tend get puffy when standing up verticle.really I'm surprised more people don't store their books like this for longer term storage.those bottom books get nice and flat ? 

I do this as well, though only for a couple boxes of books (because I don't have the space to keep them in same area stacked with my other long / short-boxes). I remember reading awhile ago about the method of alternating spines (essentially turning books upside down every other book) to keep the spine curl from happening - definitely the way to go, especially if you're stacking them one on top of another. 

Fullbacks on anything worth over $20 or >35 years old.  Halfbacks on cheaper modern stuff.

The whole point of paying more for archival boards is not having to change them every 3 years.  You can probably go 10 years on these but I dunno.  Interesting read here:

I've had comics with backers flex when I try to put them in a tightly-packed box, probably bending the comic in the process and/or putting stresses on the spine. Since the Mylites aren't slippery like the cheaper bags, they have even less of a tendency to slide in smoothly, so, again, fullbacks are a better choice to help reinforce the book. It does add up to more space consumption, but it's a small compromise for me versus the feeling that my books are in little fortresses. 

2 hours ago, cortown71 said:

How do you ever find a specific book ? I would be afraid of popping some staples this way

21 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

How do you ever find a specific book ? I would be afraid of popping some staples this way

Yeah I didn't want to get too long winded.but yes its a pita too dig thru a box to make sure i have an issue or not.so as a result I have a inventory of what's in the box.generally most of the bottom boxes are just runs like fantastic four 200-300 etc. Stuff that's just collection books I never look at. How useful! ?

I use Mylite2's and full backs. I like to go one step further and use top loaders for my expensive books.

As far as storage, I use magazine holders on shelving. there is no bowing, no stress on the books, and ease of organization.

IMG00386-20110402-2034 (1).jpg

001.jpg

17 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
17 hours ago, jcjames said:

Comparing Fullbacks (FB) and Halfbacks (HB):

2017-06-16 18.18.43-1.jpg

2017-06-16 18.16.52-1.jpg

This is interesting but since we don't store our comics like this, what's the point ? Boards are usually applied in a vertical fashion anyway.  Don't forget the mylar adds support also.

I store comics with rocks on top - isn't that how you press them?

Thank you to those offering their thoughts. I am going to order 1000 mylites2 and full backs tomorrow.  I use collection drawer boxes so I will probably order some more also because of the thickness. I don't like packing them tight so I have 5 short drawer boxes currently that hold my IM books.  

9 minutes ago, ygogolak said:
6 hours ago, lizards2 said:

I store comics with rocks on top - isn't that how you press them?

Not if you want them done properly. You want to put them between two pillows.

screen_film.jpg

That would also give them something to bite, should they feel any discomfort or distress. :banana: 

23 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I use Mylite2's and full backs. I like to go one step further and use top loaders for my expensive books.

As far as storage, I use magazine holders on shelving. there is no bowing, no stress on the books, and ease of organization.

001.jpg

Do you have to dust regularly?

On 11/5/2017 at 2:58 AM, oakman29 said:

001.jpg

Do you think  it's okay to put a bronze age key in a standard mylite 2 and fullback?  I just bought a pack today and was putting in some books and it seemed a bit tight... debating if I should upgrade to the Silver/golden age mylite 2s ...

26 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Do you think  it's okay to put a bronze age key in a standard mylite 2 and fullback?  I just bought a pack today and was putting in some books and it seemed a bit tight... debating if I should upgrade to the Silver/golden age mylite 2s ...

Use magazine size Mylites for all your books.

I use magazine size to make all my books uniform. 

Edited by oakman29

I use Silver/Gold Mylites2 and Fullbacks.  Actually the book is pretty loose in the bag to me anyway.   So most folks here do not store your books upright in a box like you normally see?  You lay them face down in a box one on top of the other rotating the spines?  I do this for some of my books because I need more acid free boxes.  lol
I actually prefer the 4 mil Mylars and may switch back to them.