• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Build an Enthusiasts Collection without 1#'s or 1st App. across Every Age
2 2

41 posts in this topic

20 years ago, even 10 years ago,  you could put together a very nice classic cover collection that crossed eras, characters, genres and publishers, and not have to be rich to do it. Nowadays, that's become near impossible for Golden Age and Atom Age books. At the very least one has to compromise severely on grade, and probably substitute second tier "classics" for what were once attainable grails in many cases. 

If I were a young collector today, just starting to get into "old stuff" with a limited budget, I'd probably just look for SA books with great covers in reasonably nice condition (8.0 or so). I'd find that more satisfying than chasing down low grade first issue/first appearance books. 

3 hours ago, Jayman said:

Over the years I've learned and found various different aspects that pique my interest other than key firsts and number one issues. Case in point, this issue of Strange Tales that coincides with the demise of the Precode EC horror line. It was pointed out by another board member that Everett drew Gaines and Feldstein on this cover as a tribute. It does look like them, and the title: "The end of the line" seems to fit.

Strange%20Tales%20%2050%20CGC%203.0_zpsx

IMG_4895.JPG

There is no doubt in my mind that's who Everett was drawing, and it definitely adds a cool factor to what was already a compelling cover. Very nice looking 3.0 BTW!

6 hours ago, Jayman said:

Over the years I've learned and found various different aspects that pique my interest other than key firsts and number one issues. Case in point, this issue of Strange Tales that coincides with the demise of the Precode EC horror line. It was pointed out by another board member that Everett drew Gaines and Feldstein on this cover as a tribute. It does look like them, and the title: "The end of the line" seems to fit.

Strange%20Tales%20%2050%20CGC%203.0_zpsx

IMG_4895.JPG

I wasn't aware of that.

As an EC fan, one of the most interesting covers I've seen in ages.

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Swamp Thing 21

I'd also include the classic Swamp Thing Annual 2.  One of the all-time best horror comics.

6 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'd throw in the Judas Contract stories from Teen Titans, but there's a first appearance in there somewhere

To get around the Nightwing appearance, I'd also include the excellent "Who is Donna Troy?" story from New Teen Titans 38.

17 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I collect complete runs of Creepy, Eerie, and Vampirella. Really no keys in that.

Definitely a great pick for enthusiasts of top-quality comic art.

7 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Two that spring to mind immediately for me are Swamp Thing 21 and Daredevil 181. Naturally, "death" issues will pop up if you're eliminating first appearances because those are often some of the most dramatic storylines as we've already seen Supey 75 and ASM 121/122 suggested.

Along with Killing Joke, which is one of my favorite stand-alone stories, and Swampy Guy 21, both Batman Annual 11 and the two "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" issues (Superman 423/Action 583) are also superlative Alan Moore stories.

I'd throw in the Judas Contract stories from Teen Titans, but there's a first appearance in there somewhere hm

These are great choices.

48 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:
7 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I'd throw in the Judas Contract stories from Teen Titans, but there's a first appearance in there somewhere

To get around the Nightwing appearance, I'd also include the excellent "Who is Donna Troy?" story from New Teen Titans 38.

Nightwing is a pseudo-first, since it's only a costume/name change for a well-established character (even if it is likely the most significant costume/name change ever). But Joseph Wilson/Jericho is a real first appearance in that arc.

4 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Nightwing is a pseudo-first, since it's only a costume/name change for a well-established character (even if it is likely the most significant costume/name change ever). But Joseph Wilson/Jericho is a real first appearance in that arc.

Forgot about him.

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I'd also include the classic Swamp Thing Annual 2.  One of the all-time best horror comics.

Yup, agreed on Annual 2. I also like 52 and 53. Just so much to love in that run.

New Teen Titans 39 is one of my favorites also -- Last (ever) Grayson as Robin, founding member Kid Flash leaves the team, and that Deathstroke v Terra "training" battle is phenomenal. Such an underrated issue.

I'll throw Miracleman 15 out there as well. Holy cow, what a climax.

To a small degree, I'm kind of doing this. As I sell off keys and the like, I'm making choices about what to keep. ASM 31-33 was a no-brainer, as many consider it the best arc of the silver age. The Galactus Trilogy is officially "key", so I'll suggest 57-60, "Doomsday", to represent the FF. Sentimental favs are consistently making the cut, too, like Thor 154-157.

I just concentrate on stories that are so good you actually reread them!

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Sentimental favs are consistently making the cut, too, like Thor 154-157

The Mangog storyline is really good.

Fond memories of reading that as a kid, when it was in oversized Treasury format.

Edited by Ken Aldred

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

Yes! My copies are actually pretty nice, so that's how I read that one.

There's a loophole for you, get the Treasury of FF 48-50!

I already have that one.

IIRC, it cuts out the Inhumans finale at the beginning of 48 to focus solely on the Galactus saga.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm trying to put together a high grade run of the last issues of the original X-Men from 1968-69; issues 49-66. Right now I have issues 49-60 in CGC 9.4. These were the first X-Men books I bought as a kid and this was right at the same time Steranko, Smith and Adams were working on the title. Fantastic and dynamic stories, covers and artwork in this run. I was just stunned that the title got canceled as up to that point, the X-Men had become one of my favorite titles.

As a collector of issue runs, I can't wholeheartedly recommend the practice. It takes a special type of insanity to pursue a span of issues in a specific grade. You end up searching compulsively and spending way too much money. There is an edge of anxiety that kicks in and helps you follow through even though your goals seem impossible.

In short, don't do it.

I could be absolutely loaded with keys, but I've chosen a different path and must live with my decision as I follow through to the bitter end.

I think a true enthusiast is going to seek out comics that helped shape the medium (Action 1 is the greatest example), featured really notable art, and classic stories (a concept that should take precedence over the cover).   I can think of many examples that are not 1st issues or 1st appearances and don't feature classic covers - yet the true enthusiasts are seeking them out.  Examples:

Two-Fisted Tales 25 - Kurtzman's "Corpse on the Imjin" could be one of the greatest comic stories ever told (sadly Krigstein's "Master Race" is in a No. 1 and I can't add it to my list);

Personal Love 32 - Frazetta's "Untamed Love" is arguably his greatest story;

Danger Trail 3 - Toth's "Battle Flag of the Foreign Legion" shows what a Sickles comic book story would have looked like and was highly influential on Toth's peers and admirers;

Four Color 263  - Two of Barks' greatest stories in one cover (not by Barks)!;

Journey Into Mystery 46 - Krigstein's "The Desert Rat" because you can't leave him off the list, especially when the story has 73 panels in 4 pages!

As the above reveal, I feel the late 40s and 50s turned out some of the greatest stories ever! 

But, there are great stories in all eras.  This one belongs on every Bronze Age list:

Superman 423 and Action 583 - Moore's "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" is perhaps the greatest blueprint for how to close a continuity.

I could go on, but these are the kind of stories that real enthusiasts will seek out, IMHO.

Edited by sfcityduck

I was going to mention "Master Race" as well. Although it does appear in Impact #1, the book is still pretty affordable. Bend the rules and buy it!

And while you could call the majority of EC's covers "classic", 2 Fisted 25 is maybe one of their very best.

latest?cb=20130807031354