• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazon's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RINGS OF POWER (2022)
5 5

630 posts in this topic

Concrete details regarding Amazon’s mysterious (and expensive) Lord of the Rings television adaptation are still few and far between. It’s been previously reported that Will Poulter (Black Mirror: Bandersnatch), Markella Kavenagh (The Cry), and Joseph Mawle (Game of Thrones) have been cast in the still-distant series, but character specifics outside of names and vague descriptions have been scarce. However, Observer has now learned a bit more about the show’s handful of lead characters who will populate new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring.

Poulter is said to be playing Beldor, an optimistic, intelligent and political savvy protagonist who is nonetheless more reserved than his on-screen counterparts. Beldor will often be the straight-man in pairings with more out-sized personalities and, while young, will possess a gravitas that belies a character who could be far older.

Kavenagh is said to be playing Tyra, a wide-eye characterful young teenage woman with a strength and maturity beyond her years. Tyra will provide a mix of dramatic and comedic elements.

Mawle is said to be playing Oren, a villain who can also evoke a deep sense of pathos built around a wounded and fallen nobility. Though the character is middle-aged, Oren will possess a certain degree of physicality and project a sense of timelessness.

Interestingly, sources tell Observer that the true main character in Amazon’s blockbuster Lord of the Rings TV series is Eldien. She is described as a complex, unique and formidable young woman in her mid-20s who possesses an eternal quality and a strong physical component. Negotiations are said to be underway for the role.

Amazon did not respond to Observer’s request for comment.

Nice to see Amazon bringing a big gun into the streaming war even though Prime Video is not a critical portion of their business. I pay for a Prime membership solely for the free two day shipping which by itself is worth it over the course of a year. 

On 12/17/2019 at 8:16 PM, marvelcollector said:

It's been a while since I last read LOTR, but I don't recognize any of those characters.

You'd have to have read The Silmarillion to have any chance of recognizing character names from the time period covered by the Amazon series since it's set thousands of years prior to Hobbit and LOTR.

19 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

You'd have to have read The Silmarillion to have any chance of recognizing character names from the time period covered by the Amazon series since it's set thousands of years prior to Hobbit and LOTR.

Exactly. This is not a Lord of the Rings rehash. Though with the current show name (this may change), I can see how many would have expectations.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Exactly. This is not a Lord of the Rings rehash. Though with the current show name (this may change), I can see how many would have expectations.

Sauron is the Lord of the Rings and he's been alive throughout the entire 50,000+ year timeframe Tolkien ever covered in his books, so the title is broad enough to cover far more content than what was covered in Hobbit and the trilogy.  Tolkien himself wrote what became a trilogy as one big work titled Lord of the Rings, so it doesn't match his original intent, but when his editor made him split it up into three books each had its own subtitle with Lord of the Rings as the overall title, so given the way it ended up getting released it's not entirely misleading to also name all of the earlier content under the LoTR umbrella.

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Sauron is the Lord of the Rings and he's been alive throughout the entire 50,000+ year timeframe Tolkien ever covered in his books, so the title is broad enough to cover far more content than what was covered in Hobbit and the trilogy.  Tolkien himself wrote what became a trilogy as one big work titled Lord of the Rings, so it doesn't match his original intent, but when his editor made him split it up into three books each had its own subtitle with Lord of the Rings as the overall title, so given the way it ended up getting released it's not entirely misleading to also name all of the earlier content under the LoTR umbrella.

Fair enough.

But then it will end up being something like Lord of the Rings: Sauron Rising. hm

I always found it interesting that Tokien hated the title of the third book "Return of the King" for a simple and obvious reason--the title gives away the ending.  Tolkien didn't title any of the three books himself, and I tend to agree with Tolkien on that, which begs the question--why didn't he protest more?  Or if he did, why did they end up going with that name?

Edited by fantastic_four

Morfydd Clark, who will play Galadriel in Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings series, states the size of production on the show is one of the biggest in television history. Penned by J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings is one of the best selling novels of all time and spawned a slew of epic film adaptations helmed by Peter Jackson. Two years ago, Amazon shook the fantasy world when it ordered a Lord of the Rings TV series with a multi-season commitment.

Set in a period long before the events of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Amazon’s series takes place in the Tolkien time period known as the Second Age. Lasting 3,441 years, marking the One Ring’s conception, and ending with the first defeat of Sauron, the Second Age offers plentiful story arcs and fresh faces for the saga. Earlier this year, Lord of the Rings was making ample headway into filming when over 800 cast and crew members were sent home due to coronavirus concerns. However, in July, Lord of the Rings resumed production in West Auckland, New Zealand. Serving as a prequel to The Hobbit, Amazon’s series has confirmed the appearances of Elrond, Sauron, and young Galadriel - who will be portrayed by Clark. Now, Clark provides insight on the massive scale of production on the highly anticipated series.

everyone loves to poop on GOT these days. this LOTR show would never have been even considered if not for the enormous success that GOT had on hbo. 

now the race is on to see who does fantasy better, amazons new LOTR show, or hbo's GOT dragon show. i like a good contest. i'll be watching both. but if either is as bad as the witcher, then i'm out.