• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JIM #83 Graders notes

17 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a question about graders notes.  Today, I purchased graders notes on a Journey Into Mystery #83 that I own.  It is a blue label 7.0 with the notation "small piece out of margin of last page" on the label.  

I purchased the graders notes to obtain additional information about this piece such as its size, location, etc.  The notes stated the following:  Interior Piece Out" and "Left Top Back Cover Medium Light Crease".

I paid $15 for these notes and they told me nothing I did not already know.  I feel like I was ripped off as this information is not worth the $15 I paid and was basically useless.  I own over 300 CGC certified books and this is a definite disappointment.

I emailed this to CGC to see if I can obtain a refund of the $15 I paid as the blue label actually had more detail about the missing piece than the graders notes did.

Since the piece missing was accounted for in the 7.0 universal blue label, would this book have the same value as a 7.0 without the missing piece notation?  The book is beautiful and would probably be an 8.5 without the missing piece. 

Thanks for your help,
Jeff

You used to be able to call and get them for free.  Actually speak to a grader.  I called once and was given a ton of notes.  I think the graders notes now need improvement.  I don't think the piece missing with affect the value.

1 hour ago, jeffreyk said:

Any other thoughts on if this book is worth the same as 7.0 without the missing piece notation on the label as the missing piece is accounted for in the grade?

Thanks!

My personal thought is it does impact it.  Unless it presents much nicer than the same 7.0 would a note on the label, I think most people would prefer no notations.  I personally do not own any blue label books with any notations (although I do have a cool ASM101 that the notation of "extra staples from manufacturing"...it's the cover where Spidey has 6 arms, so it's actually really apropos!).

3 hours ago, s14roller said:

My personal thought is it does impact it.  Unless it presents much nicer than the same 7.0 would a note on the label, I think most people would prefer no notations.  I personally do not own any blue label books with any notations (although I do have a cool ASM101 that the notation of "extra staples from manufacturing"...it's the cover where Spidey has 6 arms, so it's actually really apropos!).

I agree, I would rather have no notion on the label but since the book looks like at least an 8.0 to 8.5 I couldn't resist buying it as the page defect will never be seen as long as the book is in the slab.  The defect n the page must have reduced the grade by at least 1 point.  It looks nicer than virtually all 7.0s that I have seen.  I attached a picture of the book so you can see the label and the book.  Thanks for your thoughts!

JOURNEY_INTO_MYSTERY_83_CGC_7_0_OW_WH_PAGES_2.jpg

I don't have my OGG in front of me, and OGG is not CGC, but I would be surprised if small pieces out of the margin affected grades at 8.0 and below.  The notation was put on the label because the defect is hidden by the encapsulation, IMHO.

4 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

The piece missing is noted since it's an interior defect.   It's definitely reflected by the grade.   It's not a qualifier. 

It's a great looking copy and presents better than the assigned grade.   

Thank you for the information!  I love the book and appreciate your reply!

I think the notation on the label helps the desirability of the book. It explains why the book is 'only' a 7.0 . Otherwise, it would leave you wondering what is wrong with the book.  I suspect that if this book were graded today, the notation would not be on the label. They seem to put less notes on the labels since they starting selling the notes. Makes sense I guess.  It's a great looking book. If the notation bothers you I suspect you would have no trouble selling the book. Let us know if CGC gives you a refund on the notes. You deserve a refund but it could start a precedent as most notes are simply not much help.

9 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I think the notation on the label helps the desirability of the book. It explains why the book is 'only' a 7.0 . Otherwise, it would leave you wondering what is wrong with the book.  I suspect that if this book were graded today, the notation would not be on the label. They seem to put less notes on the labels since they starting selling the notes. Makes sense I guess.  It's a great looking book. If the notation bothers you I suspect you would have no trouble selling the book. Let us know if CGC gives you a refund on the notes. You deserve a refund but it could start a precedent as most notes are simply not much help.

Kind of what I thought when I purchased the book.  It has terrific eye appeal.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, jeffreyk said:
13 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Kind of what I thought when I purchased the book.  It has terrific eye appeal.  Thanks!

I got an Avengers #7 like this - a 7.0 that looked 9.0 or better in the slab.  I asked the seller if he had any idea why the grade, and he said he had the book pressed before submission to CGC and had no clue - he thought it would have come out a lot higher grade.

When I cracked the book out, there were heavy dark stains on several interior pages. 

I just can't imagine sending books like this  to CGC - either the owner or the presser - wouldn't you think one of those two would notice?

Ahh...., I'm probably displaying my own ignorance. :facepalm:

I don't think the notation would affect the price; 7.0 is worth whatever 7.0s are going for at the time...although I'd probably pay a little more for your copy than I would a typical 7.0 as I LOVE great looking big books with imperceptible flaws that means I can afford them.  

I'd be happy to have a JIM 83 in a 7.0

As mentioned above, the piece out is reflected in the grade.

Hard to say if your sell price will be lower than other 7.0's. Since the list of possible buyers will undoubtedly be less due to the notation, you may struggle to sell it at full FMV

59 minutes ago, Michelangelo said:

I'd be happy to have a JIM 83 in a 7.0

As mentioned above, the piece out is reflected in the grade.

Hard to say if your sell price will be lower than other 7.0's. Since the list of possible buyers will undoubtedly be less due to the notation, you may struggle to sell it at full FMV

I guess it depends if a potential buyer  wants a book that looks like a higher grade with a minor interior defect.