• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Amazing Spider-Man #667

27 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, NathanSkyler said:

@Bomber-Bob @Jaydogrules Here are some pics of the books in question. There's damage at the staples like someone forcibly tried to affix a new cover to an existing book. There's just too much "bounce" in the spines when the books are lying flat. And I've provided a picture of the one book on top of an actual modern comic. The sizing is off. The paper itself isn't as smooth as normal comic book paper. But it's not your average counterfeit by any means. There was work put into this. 

IMG_3801.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.jpg

Wow, just wow. This guy really put some effort into this scam. Counterfeit Moderns, scary stuff. I'm glad you caught it and got your money back. Thanks for the pics and the heads up. 

yeah wow counterfeit moderns are a scary thought :fear:

China is already very adept at counterfeiting coins,  the market is small for raw, ungraded coins that are expensive

i would think that one would be very leery of any raw Otto 667 offered by an unknown over the internet

20 minutes ago, NathanSkyler said:

@Jaydogrules $3000 for the pair. And yes, they were both fakes. Same seller tried to scam someone else in the CBSI Google+ group. He devoted part of his podcast to it this week. I spoke with him on Google Hangouts and it is indeed the same person.

People have been trying to fake valuable comic books since 51st least Cerebus 1 and the Star Wars 1 price variant, that's nothing new, and they remain very easy to spot, at least once in hand.  

As always the biggest red flag is the asking price.  If someone is offering you an extremely high grade looking pair of exceedingly rare books raw for $3k that are worth $15k-$20k in 9.8 slabs that's your first big hint it's a scam.  :baiting:

But at least you came out of it financially unscathed this time.  

-J.