• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

When has ANY studio merger been blocked by the Department of Justice?  Big merges have happened plenty of times over the past century, but I can't recall any of them being blocked.  We're talking about entertainment here, not something functional like phone or Internet services that causes them to watch mergers in that arena far more closely.

If any of the major networks tried to buy another major network, it would be blocked because there are already so few and it is seen as monopolistic.  This is why Disney would never have been allowed to buy the Fox Sports and Fox News portions of Fox, as they already own ABC.

Also, that is why the AT&T/Time Warner deal was told to either sell DirectTV or TurnerBroadcasting, aka AT&T can't end up owning both.  (Often mis-reported in the bias'd press as, having to "sell CNN", Turner owns CNN), Because the satellite and cable networks are viewed as "overlapping" directly with each other.

Edited by CBT

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Disney will gain more than 300 channels, 22 regional sports networks, control over Hulu, and a significant portion of Roku.”

Those are some strong points for why not to allow this big a media provider.

300 channels and 22 sports networks?  WHAT?  Which ones?  All I remember hearing about was FX, and that Fox Sports was staying with Fox.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

300 channels and 22 sports networks?  WHAT?  Which ones?  All I remember hearing about was FX, and that Fox Sports was staying with Fox.

isnt all of that in England and India, etc.  Not the US, where Anti-Trust would be an issue.

1 minute ago, Chip Cataldo said:
7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Regional. Regional. 

Regional what, exactly?  All of the Fox network affiliates are staying with Fox, so what are all these channels Disney is getting?

Nice. Let the class action lawsuit chasing begin! lol

PRESS RELEASE FROM PR NEWSWIRE

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Monteverde & Associates PC Announces An Investigation Of Twenty-First Century Fox - FOX

Monday, December 18, 2017

SHAREHOLDER ALERT: Monteverde & Associates PC Announces An Investigation Of Twenty-First Century Fox - FOX

14:00 EST Monday, December 18, 2017 

NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Juan Monteverde, founder and managing partner at Monteverde & Associates PC, a boutique securities firm headquartered at the Empire State Building in New York City, is investigating Twenty-First Century Fox  ("21CF " or the "Company") (NasdaqGS: FOX) relating to the sale of the Company to The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS). As a result of the merger, 21CF shareholders are only anticipated to receive 0.2745 shares of Disney common stock in exchange for each share of 21CF.

Monteverde & Associates PC Logo

Click here for more information: http://monteverdelaw.com/investigations/m-a/.  It is free and there is no cost or obligation to you.

The investigation focuses on whether 21CF and its Board of Directors violated securities laws and/or breached their fiduciary duties to the Company's stockholders by 1) failing to conduct a fair process and 2) whether and by how much this proposed transaction undervalues the Company.

Monteverde & Associates PC is a boutique class action securities and consumer litigation law firm that has recovered millions of dollars and is committed to protecting shareholders and consumers from corporate wrongdoing.  Monteverde & Associates lawyers have significant experience litigating Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities Class Actions, whereby they protect investors by recovering money and remedying corporate misconduct. Mr. Monteverde, who leads the legal team at the firm, has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Securities Litigation in 2013 and 2017, an award given to less than 2.5% of attorneys in a particular field. He has also been selected by Martindale-Hubbell as a 2017 Top Rated Lawyer.

If you own common stock in 21CF and wish to obtain additional information and protect your investments free of charge, please visit our website or contact Juan E. Monteverde, Esq. either via e-mail at jmonteverde@monteverdelaw.com or by telephone at (212) 971-1341.

Contact:Juan E. Monteverde, Esq.MONTEVERDE & ASSOCIATES PCThe Empire State Building350 Fifth Ave. Suite 4405New York, NY 10118United States of Americajmonteverde@monteverdelaw.com Tel: (212) 971-1341

Attorney Advertising. (C) 2017 Monteverde & Associates PC.  The law firm responsible for this advertisement is Monteverde & Associates PC (www.monteverdelaw.com).  Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Nice. Let the class action lawsuit chasing begin! lol

PRESS RELEASE FROM PR NEWSWIRE

Monday, December 18, 2017

Spoiler

14:00 EST Monday, December 18, 2017 

NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Juan Monteverde, founder and managing partner at Monteverde & Associates PC, a boutique securities firm headquartered at the Empire State Building in New York City, is investigating Twenty-First Century Fox  ("21CF " or the "Company") (NasdaqGS: FOX) relating to the sale of the Company to The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS). As a result of the merger, 21CF shareholders are only anticipated to receive 0.2745 shares of Disney common stock in exchange for each share of 21CF.

Monteverde & Associates PC Logo

Click here for more information: http://monteverdelaw.com/investigations/m-a/.  It is free and there is no cost or obligation to you.

The investigation focuses on whether 21CF and its Board of Directors violated securities laws and/or breached their fiduciary duties to the Company's stockholders by 1) failing to conduct a fair process and 2) whether and by how much this proposed transaction undervalues the Company.

Monteverde & Associates PC is a boutique class action securities and consumer litigation law firm that has recovered millions of dollars and is committed to protecting shareholders and consumers from corporate wrongdoing.  Monteverde & Associates lawyers have significant experience litigating Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities Class Actions, whereby they protect investors by recovering money and remedying corporate misconduct. Mr. Monteverde, who leads the legal team at the firm, has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Securities Litigation in 2013 and 2017, an award given to less than 2.5% of attorneys in a particular field. He has also been selected by Martindale-Hubbell as a 2017 Top Rated Lawyer.

If you own common stock in 21CF and wish to obtain additional information and protect your investments free of charge, please visit our website or contact Juan E. Monteverde, Esq. either via e-mail at jmonteverde@monteverdelaw.com or by telephone at (212) 971-1341.

Contact:Juan E. Monteverde, Esq.MONTEVERDE & ASSOCIATES PCThe Empire State Building350 Fifth Ave. Suite 4405New York, NY 10118United States of Americajmonteverde@monteverdelaw.com Tel: (212) 971-1341

Attorney Advertising. (C) 2017 Monteverde & Associates PC.  The law firm responsible for this advertisement is Monteverde & Associates PC (www.monteverdelaw.com).  Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome with respect to any future matter.

I think with any large acquisition where there are big investors involved, you will have their legal teams coming out questioning if the corporate executive team squeezed the offer for every dollar they could get. Especially if they can prove only Disney was ever given a fair shot at making an offer. If Comcast and others were never given a chance to make a reasonable offer, it gives the legal team more food to feed on Disney had the inside track to take this.

I really do not have any feel for this deal at all.  What I mean is that the most valuable property I can imagine is Star Wars, and we just saw a price tag on that of $4 billion a few years ago.  So if you were to break the Fox deal down into the properties Disney gets and put a price on each one, what is it?  I have NO good feel for the totality of the properties they just bought.  All of the reports list a few, but the ones listed don't add up to $60 billion.  But if you add up dozens--or is it hundreds?--of film and television properties together, maybe it makes sense.  I'd have to see a line-item breakdown of all the major properties they got to have any real feel for the deal.

Correspondingly, I have very little feel for what this does for a Disney competitor to Netflix.  I get that it adds a few hundred movies to it, but Netflix has tens of thousands.  I have no feel for how Disney stacks up against Netflix, how Disney plus Fox stacks up, or even what content is going to draw me to Disney.  I listened to Bill Simmons talk about how he will 1000% subscribe to a Disney service, but I'm not sure why.  I guess I have only a rough feel for what we're talking about here.

Depending on the article, some focus on the movie franchises and others focus on the major movies and TV shows.

Here are all the major TV shows, movies and channels Disney is about to acquire from Fox

The highest-grossing films of all time

As Axios reported, the buyout means that Disney will add the two highest-grossing films — both Fox properties — to its already impressive roster, giving it control of seven of the 10 highest grossing films:

• “Avatar” (Fox)
  • “Titanic” (Fox)
  • “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” (Disney)
  • “The Avengers” (Disney)
  • “Avengers: Age of Ultron” (Disney)
  • “Frozen” (Disney)
  • “Beauty and the Beast” (Disney)

Film franchises

The New York Times reported that Disney will acquire major film franchises:

• X-Men movies
  • Fantastic Four movies
  • Star Wars (the rights to the original and prequel trilogies)
  • Deadpool series
  • Planet of the Apes series

Older movies

According to The New York Times, Disney will obtain the rights to these popular older series that could easily be rebooted:

• Night at the Museum films
  • Home Alone films
  • Doctor Dolittle films
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks films

Current TV shows

As Polygon reports, Disney also will gain access to a host of popular TV shows, which include:

• “Modern Family” — Airs on ABC, produced by 20th Century Fox Television
  • “Speechless” — Airs on ABC, co-produced by Fox and ABC
  • “This Is Us” — Airs on NBC, produced by Fox
  • “Empire” — Airs on Fox, produced by Fox
  • “The X-Files” (revived) — Airs on and produced by Fox
  • “The Gifted” — Airs on and produced by Fox
  • “The Americans” — Airs on FX, produced by FX Productions
  • “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia” — Airs on FX, produced by FX Productions
  • “The Simpsons” — Produced by Fox Television Animation
  • “Family Guy” — Produced by Fox Television Animation
  • “Bob’s Burgers” — Produced by Fox Television Animation
  • “American Dad!” — Produced by Fox Television Animation
  • “King of the Hill” — Produced by Fox Television Animation

Older TV shows

The deal with Fox will not only give Disney rights to current TV shows, but also older TV shows that still bring in revenue in rebroadcasting rights, Polygon reported. These shows include:

• “24”
  • “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”
  • “Hill Street Blues”
  • “M_A_S*H”
  • “The Mary Tyler Moore Show”
  • “The Shield”

Channels

Axios reported that Disney will acquire more channels from the deal, including:

• 20th Century Fox
  • National Geographic
  • Fox Networks Group
  • FX
  • Star
  • Endemol Shine Group

Sports networks

The New York Times reported that Disney will obtain regional sports networks that could help improve the reach of ESPN. Axios also reported which channels Disney will obtain:

• YES Network (which covers the New York Yankees)
  • Fox Sports Regional networks (often spread throughout the country)
  • Sky Sports
  • Star Sports
  • Fox Deportes

Polygon pointed something out I hadn't heard before.

If Disney buys Fox, does Star Wars get its opening music back?

The rumor that Disney might acquire 21st Century Fox’s TV and film divisions has excited lots of sci-fi fans, the biggest constituency being Marvel’s. Such a deal might finally join the X-Men cinematic arc, whose rights Fox controls, with the Marvel Cinematic Universe controlled by Disney. And that’s wonderful.

For me, as a Star Wars fan, it could mean that series, by Episode IX in 2019, might again open the way God intended it: With the 20th Century Fox Fanfare with Cinemascope Extension. J.J. Abrams might use a different title card, might arrange the opening credits differently. But Disney would own that song and once again Star Wars movies could begin with it.

Interesting. Does this mean that with Disney getting the rights to the old SW films they will go not push the envelope as much and get back to the Jedi/Sith/Skywalker mythos that the fans like instead?

POLYGON: Here are the films and TV shows Disney would get from Fox

Marvel and Star Wars

Yes, Disney’s acquisition would give the company full ownership of the Marvel characters under Fox’s banner — Deadpool, the Fantastic Four and the X-Men. The companies have shared the screen rights for two additional Marvel characters: Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, whose comic book origins lie in both the Avengers and X-Men series.

Shifting to a different universe of genre film, the deal would give Disney the one piece of the Star Wars puzzle that it didn’t acquire when it bought Lucasfilm. Fox’s original arrangement with George Lucas included the exclusive distribution rights to the first Star Wars film (which was later renamed Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope) in perpetuity.

There’s also the matter of the 20th Century Fox fanfare, which accompanied the first six Star Wars films. The movies under Disney — 2015’s The Force Awakens, 2016’s Rogue One and The Last Jedi this week — open with a silent Lucasfilm logo.

A Titanic film library

Fox has built up an impressive movie library over more than 80 years. Looking to the future, the Avatar franchise may be the crown jewel in Disney’s acquisition of the Fox film studio. The original film, which was released in 2009, is the highest-grossing movie of all time with $2.79 billion in worldwide box office receipts. Four sequels are in development, with release dates scheduled from 2021 through 2025.

• Planet of the Apes
  • Alien(s)
  • Kingsman
  • Predator
  • Independence Day
  • Diary of a Wimpy Kid
  • Die Hard
  • Home Alone
  • Night at the Museum
  • Ice Age
  • Rio
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks

A big Modern Family (TV)

• Grey’s Anatomy
  • Scandal
  • Modern Family
  • Speechless
  • This Is Us
  • The X-Files
  • The Gifted
  • Showtime’s Homeland
  • FX’s American Horror Story
  • Fox’s Legion
  • The Americans
  • It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
  • The Simpsons
  • Family Guy
  • Bob’s Burgers
  • American Dad!
  • Futurama
  • King of the Hill
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Hill Street Blues
  • M*A*S*H
  • The Mary Tyler Moore Show
  • The Shield

Good Lord!

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

Interesting. Does this mean that with Disney getting the rights to the old SW films they will go not push the envelope as much and get back to the Jedi/Sith/Skywalker mythos that the fans like instead?

Them getting rights to the old films just means they get to control and profit from where the movies get shown.  It has nothing to do with what they include in new movies.

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Them getting rights to the old films just means they get to control and profit from where the movies get shown.  It has nothing to do with what they include in new movies.

Agreed. It is going to be about releasing 'Original Theatrical Release' copies probably for a high cost initially.

Even if Disney gets access to the 20th Century Fox name and that familiar song flourish, will they use it?  I bet they don't because they like the Disney brand better.

I didn't pay much attention, did they show the Disney logo at the start of Episode VII and VIII?  I remember the Lucasfilm logo, but I didn't notice the others.