• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Grails said:

Not a Marvel guy but man they need to get the FF back and do a proper new standalone film without connecting it to the current MCU.  Use it to start the next one. 

Very frustrating that we're getting a second Incredibles movie before we get an actual good Fantastic Four movie.  I really loved the first film, but it's a clear FF ripoff.  GIVE ME THE REAL THING!!!  :sumo:

15 hours ago, Key Largo Comics said:

Probably not what anyone wants to hear but I would't be surprised if Iger walks away.

Disney really doesn't need the content that bad to get in a billion dollar slugfest with Comcast.

NO, HE NEEDS TO PUT IN A LAST SECOND EBAY-STYLE THRILL BID!!!  :ohnoez:

That's funny because I think FF is unfilmable as live action, but perfect for animation.

After four (!) live-action FF films, it's hard to make the case that another would somehow be good simply because Disney might do it.

While actually enjoyed Rise of the Silver Surfer, I think the perfect version's already been done with The Incredibles.

Really excited for The Incredibles 2.

9 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

After four (!) live-action FF films, it's hard to make the case that another would somehow be good simply because Disney might do it.

I don't attribute any of Marvel's success to Disney, only to Kevin Feige.  There is no way he would have picked Tim Story to do those two films.  Feige's name is on both of them as an executive producer, but that's back when Avi Arad was calling the shots, and Arad consistently proved he had no idea who to select to direct, he just did what the Sony and Fox execs do, pick a director and hope for the best because none of them know anything at all about comics.  Feige wasn't in control until Iron Man.  I want him to have a shot at picking someone like Brad Bird was picked to write and direct the Incredibles.

Edited by fantastic_four

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I don't attribute any of Marvel's success to Disney, only to Kevin Feige.  There is no way he would have picked Tim Story to do those two films.  Feige's name is on both of them as an executive producer, but that's back when Avi Arad was calling the shots, and Arad consistently proved he had no idea who to select to direct, he just did what the Sony and Fox execs do, pick a director and hope for the best because none of them know anything at all about comics.  Feige wasn't in control until Iron Man.  I want him to have a shot at picking someone like Brad Bird was picked to write and direct the Incredibles.

Brad Bird's Fantastic Four :cloud9:

22 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:
20 hours ago, Drummy said:

Maybe Comcast will get what it needs from Fox, then sell the Marvel IP to Disney for a pretty penny...not sure that works in the real world, but just dreamin'...

:wishluck:

Or as a fourth alternative and one that's better than a Comcast-owned Fox continuing to produce their own films--do what Sony has done with Spider-Man and just farm production out to Marvel Studios.

20 hours ago, Drummy said:

Maybe Comcast will get what it needs from Fox, then sell the Marvel IP to Disney for a pretty penny...not sure that works in the real world, but just dreamin'...

I hope something like this is the case.  I don't know what the financial implications are, but I can't imagine Disney receiving a significant financial boost from Fox's cable assets since they already overlap with their own networks (ie ESPN vs FSN).  I think the big item are the international cable networks since Disney doesn't have as big a cable footprint abroad as it does at home.  But again, don't know what that's worth on an annual basis.  I would rather Disney just buy up the Marvel rights and any other entertainment holdings.  In doing so, they can avoid a bidding war with Comcast and use the money elsewhere.

The whole FF thing is in the air anyway since Fox doesn't own the film rights to them.  If Fox sells to someone other than Disney it's entirely possible that Constantin Films could license the production to almost anyone, Marvel included.

Has anyone ever figured out why Constantin didn't let Marvel produce FF movies at any point since Marvel Studios began?  I can see them not wanting to do it in 2008 when they were new and unproven, but at this point it's clear that Marvel is the major player in comic book movies.  Why is Constantin sticking with Fox instead of Marvel, particularly given the epic failure they just experienced with the Trank reboot?  I'm guessing it's something contractual for them to stick with Fox through that disaster.

17 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Very frustrating that we're getting a second Incredibles movie before we get an actual good Fantastic Four movie.  I really loved the first film, but it's a clear FF ripoff.  GIVE ME THE REAL THING!!!  :sumo:

The funny thing now is mainstream people will now think Fantastic Four is ripping off the Incredibles, similar to how people thought John Carter was ripping off Star Wars.

Incredibles are considered the cool family of superheroes to most now. :whatthe:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

23 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

The whole FF thing is in the air anyway since Fox doesn't own the film rights to them.  If Fox sells to someone other than Disney it's entirely possible that Constantin Films could license the production to almost anyone, Marvel included.

Has anyone ever figured out why Constantin didn't let Marvel produce FF movies at any point since Marvel Studios began?  I can see them not wanting to do it in 2008 when they were new and unproven, but at this point it's clear that Marvel is the major player in comic book movies.  Why is Constantin sticking with Fox instead of Marvel, particularly given the epic failure they just experienced with the Trank reboot?  I'm guessing it's something contractual for them to stick with Fox through that disaster.

I believe that is the case. This Fox merger might be CF's only chance to bring FF to another studio. Like you said, Disney/Marvel is a no brainer at this point. They could always go with Sony but Disney has the best track record with Marvel films & I think Sony has their hands full with the Spider-Verse their building anyways. It's all up in the air if they decide to sell instead of lease after this late Comcast news, as CF will obviously take the highest bid, which may not be Disney in the end.

On 5/23/2018 at 12:48 PM, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

It sounds like comcast is making more of a cash offer that is higher than Disney. Also I think Disney is using shares as part of their deal....Hard to beat cash

Always better off with stock options than cash, a dollar today is worth a dollar tomorrow.  

2 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

Except for Disney stocks have been down

Doesn't matter.  Disney isn't thinking short term, they are thinking long into the future, long after any of us here in our lifetime , Stock is always better than cash  

Edited by Kevin76

1 minute ago, Kevin76 said:

Doesn't matter. Stock is always better than cash  

I'd rather have cash to invest in comics lol

Anyways it should get interesting. I for one like my X-Men in their own storylines for the most part. We would have never gotten a Logan or Deadpool movie under the MCU

Fantastic Four on the other hand often crossed over into other marvel titles/characters