• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, october said:

If Disney's bid wins it will be great for the back issue market, because they will be jamming superhero movies down the public's throat for the next 200 years in order to recoup that giant nut. 

Hellmouser.png.efb1ef7edc1a59cd2984a23c8c722c9c.png

32 minutes ago, chezmtghut said:

At that price I think Disney would have been better off buying WB. They would have made the DCEU great compared to what WB has put out to date. The bidding war might just be getting started.

Yeah, but AT&T just bought Warner Bros.

Which I think is a major reason Comcast was/is going after Fox.

Prediction: Comcast now buys Sony.

On the one side, I'm concerned about a bidding war and about Disney spending more than it really needs to.  I'm also concerned about the increase in debt the company would take on and what effect the balance sheet would have on other aspects of the business (namely the Parks).  I know ESPN is struggling, but I don't see what FSN does better that actually makes them so profitable.  I really wouldn't mind if Disney just sold off some of the News assets in order to recoup some costs.

But that brings me to the other side.  If they do win, one can only hope that they really clamp down on the rhetoric pouring out of Fox News.

Also, I have to wonder what Iger's background as a kid was.  Was he a big comic book/sci fi fan?  He's presided over the acquisition of Star Wars and Marvel.  Has it been his dream to get all these properties under one house?  I mean, I know from a financial standpoint it all made sense and was obviously vetted and approved by the Board, but I have to wonder if Iger just subtly nudged them in the direction like "oh hey, Lucasfilms is for sale, we should definitely look hard into that."

1 minute ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

sad day for fans of independent film.

Technically the deal has only been "Accepted" in so far as they've received the term sheet.  It has not been signed by both parties.  Anything could happen.  Comcast could come in with a higher bid, some unknown 3rd party could swoop in at the last minute.  Or Fox could somehow magically pull out of the deal.

27 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

On the one side, I'm concerned about a bidding war and about Disney spending more than it really needs to.  I'm also concerned about the increase in debt the company would take on and what effect the balance sheet would have on other aspects of the business (namely the Parks).  I know ESPN is struggling, but I don't see what FSN does better that actually makes them so profitable.  I really wouldn't mind if Disney just sold off some of the News assets in order to recoup some costs.

But that brings me to the other side.  If they do win, one can only hope that they really clamp down on the rhetoric pouring out of Fox News.

Also, I have to wonder what Iger's background as a kid was.  Was he a big comic book/sci fi fan?  He's presided over the acquisition of Star Wars and Marvel.  Has it been his dream to get all these properties under one house?  I mean, I know from a financial standpoint it all made sense and was obviously vetted and approved by the Board, but I have to wonder if Iger just subtly nudged them in the direction like "oh hey, Lucasfilms is for sale, we should definitely look hard into that."

Yeah - as was already noted, Fox News isn't part of the deal.

Sky News (UK) is, however -- and the deal's more about that than it is comics -- Disney's broadcast footprint outside of the U.S. is -- they're desperately trying to change that.

29 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

Let Iger do his job, no need to second-guess his understanding of Disney's financials.

And as stormshadow said Fox News isn't a part of the deal, nor is the Fox network and its affiliates around the nation, just some or all of the content itself that the Fox network shows.  Not sure what they'll show if the deal goes through, my guess would be they'll show the same stuff but pay Disney for it.

20 minutes ago, Georgie123 said:

It's official fox is now part of Disney.  They signed the deal???

I heard it put this exact same way months ago, then Comcast came in with a bid and it was suddenly all back up in the air again.  Is there something more solid about it this time, or is it all off again if Comcast puts in another bid?

Until I see a Fox owned Marvel Character in the MCU I'm not going to believe it is done.  Fool me once, shame on everybody.

BUT...assuming all this news is true and will come to fruition...I can't wait to see what kind of tease/easter eggs we'll see in the next Infinity War movie:whee:.