• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

What do you mean "all" goes to Sony?  You don't license a property and get nothing from it.  The amount of money that Sony and Fox have been licensing the Marvel characters for has never been disclosed, but they get a percentage of the revenue.

Marvel and Sony ‘Spider-Man’ Rights Explained: What’s MCU and What’s Not?

Producer Amy Pascal, who at the time was the head of Sony Pictures, was able to strike an unprecedented deal with Marvel Studios’ Kevin Feige to share the character of Spider-Man. After lengthy discussions, they agreed to move ahead with a new reboot, although this time things would be different. Spider-Man: Homecoming is still financed and distributed by Sony Pictures (i.e. they pay for 100% of it), and Sony gets the box office, but Marvel Studios produced the film and served as the “creative lead.” That means Feige and the Marvel Studios braintrust helped pick the director and cast, helped craft the film’s tone and style, and made sure to bring something fresh and new to character that audiences are already very familiar with. In short, they made a Marvel Studios Spider-Man movie.

So what does Marvel Studios get in return out of this deal? Besides getting to play with a toy they’ve been eyeing for a very long time now, they get to use Tom Holland’s Peter Parker in a set number of MCU movies (five in total, per this initial agreement, including Homecoming and its sequel).

So Sony gets 100% of the standalone films revenue (along with covering all the costs), and Disney/MCU gets to use Spider-Man in 5 films and keep all the revenue and cover all the costs.

But like I noted, some sites like THR and Variety have stated they heard from inside sources Disney has a bonus plan in place where if the standalone films achieve certain financial targets, supposedly Sony makes a one-time payment.

39 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Here's what the POV is like once the ride starts. You want to talk about an entire room screaming at once. :insane:

I've heard it's a gorgeous land.  Having seen what they could do with TokyoSea and Cars Land, I have to believe it's an extremely immersive experience.  And by the looks of it, the animatronics now are nearly seamless.  Is Flight of Passage basically a next gen Soarin' California/World?  (That is, a giant IMAX screen with seats that move to simulate flight?)

43 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And although nobody I saw was walking around with a painted face or movie clothing, the crazy toy multiple kids (and adults) were walking around with on their shoulders were the Banshee interactive toys for like $40/each. They come in multiple colors and designs, so you get to pick your Banshee and then the attendant puts it in a carrier as if you just selected a real pet.

So they are doing a decent job monetizing the franchise then.  I guess I just wondered what it would be like for a film that is 15 years old and whether kids who weren't born when the film first came out are as enamored by the characters the way we are with comic book heroes.

12 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

I've heard it's a gorgeous land.  Having seen what they could do with TokyoSea and Cars Land, I have to believe it's an extremely immersive experience.  And by the looks of it, the animatronics now are nearly seamless.  Is Flight of Passage basically a next gen Soarin' California/World?  (That is, a giant IMAX screen with seats that move to simulate flight?)

Exactly! And the wild thing is at one point I looked to the left and right of me, and you see like 50-60 people screaming their brains out as the ride bounces you around.

So they are doing a decent job monetizing the franchise then.  I guess I just wondered what it would be like for a film that is 15 years old and whether kids who weren't born when the film first came out are as enamored by the characters the way we are with comic book heroes.

Check out how they make it into quite the experience. They take you into the 'Rookery' so you can go over and select your Banshee as they bounce around you like on perches.

Here's the Rookery itself. I was walking around having a great time watching these things move around.

Edited by Bosco685

Here's a much better tourist video of the Na'vi River Journey. I can't push this one enough. It was fantastic. Needs to be 15-30 minutes longer just to allow people to take it all in.

So rumors are coming in now that the Rian Johnson Star Wars Trilogy has been scrapped and the GOT guys Trilogy has been greenlit.  

Hopefully the last 2 episodes of Game of Thrones delivers as it would suck to launch their new project with a bad taste in everyone's mouths.  

21 minutes ago, Broke as a Joke said:

So rumors are coming in now that the Rian Johnson Star Wars Trilogy has been scrapped and the GOT guys Trilogy has been greenlit.  

Hopefully the last 2 episodes of Game of Thrones delivers as it would suck to launch their new project with a bad taste in everyone's mouths.  

Wrong topic..?

Good(?) news if true.

I haven't watched GOT past Season 1, and I hear mixed reactions (to directing), but at this point anyone is better than Rian Johnson.

On 5/9/2019 at 12:43 PM, Bosco685 said:

Marvel and Sony ‘Spider-Man’ Rights Explained: What’s MCU and What’s Not?

So Sony gets 100% of the standalone films revenue (along with covering all the costs), and Disney/MCU gets to use Spider-Man in 5 films and keep all the revenue and cover all the costs.

But like I noted, some sites like THR and Variety have stated they heard from inside sources Disney has a bonus plan in place where if the standalone films achieve certain financial targets, supposedly Sony makes a one-time payment.

I did some reading and it is definitely a six movie deal.

The real question comes to the future of the Marvel Universe in regards to Spiderman. There are plenty of sites that are exploring what the deal will be with Tom Holland moving forward as many sites have reported that the deal was for six total movies before Sony regains full control or the contract is re-upped.  The deal also allowed for Sony to play with Marvel owned properties as we have already seen with Iron Man and the Cap cameo in the gym scene for Homecoming and now Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Happy Hogan for Far From Home.  You are right that no one officially knows what the actual deal or contractual obligations are. 

When it comes  far on the Marvel side of things we have had Cap Civil War, Avengers Infinity War, and Avengers Endgame.  On the Sony side of things we have Spider-man Homecoming, Spider-man Far from Home, and Holland has said that he is signed for a trilogy of movies so there will be one more down the pipeline. 

Here is where things get tricky though.  Sony has definitely benefitted from lending Spider-man back to Disney. All of a sudden, the Tom Holland Spider-man movies are relevant in a way the Andrew Garfield movies never really were as there is far more investment in the character and franchise. I have a feeling that Tom Holland is going to become a VERY rich man as there will be two studios that want him to continue the past 2021.  Feige has even stressed the importance of the character so it would not surprise me to learn that an contractual extension has been reached like they did with Robert Downey Jr when RDJ signed on for a few additional movies like Cap Civil War and Spider-man Homecoming. 

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27406093/tom-holland-spider-man-marvel-future-contract/

17 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I did some reading and it is definitely a six movie deal.

The real question comes to the future of the Marvel Universe in regards to Spiderman. There are plenty of sites that are exploring what the deal will be with Tom Holland moving forward as many sites have reported that the deal was for six total movies before Sony regains full control or the contract is re-upped.  The deal also allowed for Sony to play with Marvel owned properties as we have already seen with Iron Man and the Cap cameo in the gym scene for Homecoming and now Nick Fury, Maria Hill, and Happy Hogan for Far From Home.  You are right that no one officially knows what the actual deal or contractual obligations are. 

When it comes  far on the Marvel side of things we have had Cap Civil War, Avengers Infinity War, and Avengers Endgame.  On the Sony side of things we have Spider-man Homecoming, Spider-man Far from Home, and Holland has said that he is signed for a trilogy of movies so there will be one more down the pipeline. 

Here is where things get tricky though.  Sony has definitely benefitted from lending Spider-man back to Disney. All of a sudden, the Tom Holland Spider-man movies are relevant in a way the Andrew Garfield movies never really were as there is far more investment in the character and franchise. I have a feeling that Tom Holland is going to become a VERY rich man as there will be two studios that want him to continue the past 2021.  Feige has even stressed the importance of the character so it would not surprise me to learn that an contractual extension has been reached like they did with Robert Downey Jr when RDJ signed on for a few additional movies like Cap Civil War and Spider-man Homecoming. 

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a27406093/tom-holland-spider-man-marvel-future-contract/

I like the way you are thinking. But the original agreement is a five-picture deal.

COLLIDER (2017): Marvel and Sony ‘Spider-Man’ Rights Explained: What’s MCU and What’s Not?

So what does Marvel Studios get in return out of this deal? Besides getting to play with a toy they’ve been eyeing for a very long time now, they get to use Tom Holland’s Peter Parker in a set number of MCU movies (five in total, per this initial agreement, including Homecoming and its sequel). That means that Spider-Man: Homecoming takes place within the same Marvel Cinematic Universe as Doctor Strange and Iron Man, and Holland’s Peter Parker—after making his debut in Captain America: Civil War—is appearing alongside folks like Tony Stark and Black Widow in Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers 4.

• Captain America: Civil War
  • Spider-man: Homecoming
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

Now, supposedly there has already been a lot of talk going on between Sony and Disney about the future of Spider-Man. Though I wonder about some of the details, as those favoring the MCU assume it is all Disney in the driver's seat dictating the terms. Which to me ignores the massive success of Venom, the Academy Award and good success of Into The Spider-Verse, and the excitement over Morbius.

But like you note, neither company wants their money train disrupted. Disney gets its Spider-Man in the MCU, and all that merchandising and film revenue from Disney-owned films. Sony gets its standalone film revenues while building stronger support through the partnership for its Spider-Verse. Makes a lot of sense.

CNBC did a more up-to-date summary of the Spider-Man situation, and what could be.

Sony has big plans for Spider-Man cinematic universe, but a key hero is unavailable: Spidey

KEY POINTS:

• Sony Pictures’ Chairman Tony Vinciquerra recently said Sony has seven to eight years of content planned in terms of its Spider-Man cinematic universe.
  • In 2015, Sony struck a five-movie deal with Marvel Studios that permitted Spider-Man to be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but Avengers is coming to an end this spring.
  • 2017’s ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ grossed over $880 million worldwide.

“In some form or another, it’s hard to imagine Sony won’t revisit the character again. Whether or not that means waiting until Tom Holland’s iteration in the Disney deal has run his course is anyone’s guess right now,” said Shawn Robbins, chief analyst for Boxoffice.com.

Disney is preparing for big changes, too. This week, the acquisition of 21st Century Fox was completed, meaning that Marvel fans could see the X-Men, among other characters, crossing with some of Marvel Studios’ biggest names.

A live action Spider-Verse

With the success of 2018′s diverse, multi Spider-Man picture, the Oscar-winning animated film “Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse”, Robbins thinks it’s possible that two Spider-Mans could co-exist on the big screen for Sony in the future, in separate worlds. “Given the popularity of that film, it seems like only a matter of time before we see a live-action take on Miles or someone like Spider-Gwen,” Robbins said.

“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse” cost $90 million to make and grossed over $368 million worldwide, with a critics score of 97 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Plans for a sequel were kickstarted weeks before the movie even hit theaters.

“Marvel itself has proven that it can create entire universes out of characters that existed somewhat in the shadows for decades and turn them into box office rock stars. Just look at ‘Guardians of the Galaxy,‘” said Comscore analyst Paul Dergarabedian. “This strategy can certainly work for ‘Spider-Man’ as long as the story and the characters are there. ... We actually need more superhero universes in order to keep the supply of interesting and fresh movies from this genre robust. New creation means no stagnation.”

Without a clear role for Spider-Man in the Sony universe, questions will linger about supporting characters being strong enough to grow off the success of 2018′s “Venom.”

Media influencer Daniel Richtman thinks Spider-Man characters have all the potential in the world and that they will in fact make money. It’s just a matter of each film’s quality.

“Spider-Man has the best and most well known Rogues Gallery beside Batman. So I feel like they can make successful [stars out of] each of them (see Venom),” Richtman said. “Good movies? ... That’s a different topic.”

On 5/7/2019 at 1:38 PM, ExNihilo said:

Also...there's now supposed to be 5 (!!!) Avatar movies?  Whatever happened to it being a trilogy?  Who's to say 2 will even be any good?  Avatar's going to make money because it is the highest grossing (unadjusted) film of all time and people are going to be curious about it.  But beyond that, i'm not sure anyone cares about the franchise enough that they wanted more films beyond the first.

(Question for anyone who's been to Pandora at Disney World...what's the vibe amongst guests?  Are there a lot of people wearing Avatar gear?  Like, if you go to Disneyland, there's a reasonable number of people wearing Marvel/Star Wars gear in the parks now.  Is it the same with Avatar?)

No

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I like the way you are thinking. But the original agreement is a five-picture deal.

COLLIDER (2017): Marvel and Sony ‘Spider-Man’ Rights Explained: What’s MCU and What’s Not?

• Captain America: Civil War
  • Spider-man: Homecoming
  • Avengers: Infinity War
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Spider-Man: Far From Home

Now, supposedly there has already been a lot of talk going on between Sony and Disney about the future of Spider-Man. Though I wonder about some of the details, as those favoring the MCU assume it is all Disney in the driver's seat dictating the terms. Which to me ignores the massive success of Venom, the Academy Award and good success of Into The Spider-Verse, and the excitement over Morbius.

But like you note, neither company wants their money train disrupted. Disney gets its Spider-Man in the MCU, and all that merchandising and film revenue from Disney-owned films. Sony gets its standalone film revenues while building stronger support through the partnership for its Spider-Verse. Makes a lot of sense.

Now, I cannot help but wonder if Holland is talking about one more Sony movie because he, himself, does not seem to be able to avoid saying things he is not supposed to.  lol 

The irony of him introducing the latest trailer and telling fans to stop watching in order to avoid spoilers was not lost. The only thing better would have been to have Ruffalo introduce the Spider-man trailer. 

I would think though that Marvel has to approve any movie that Holland appears in as Spider-man since they cast the character. I am sure someone much smarter than any of us made sure to stick that into the arrangement of the studios.  The last thing that Disney wants is for Sony to make a standalone Spider-man movie with Holland independent of any Disney owned properties. Because, if they did, then audiences would naturally assume that all spinoffs and tie in movies are related to the Disney movies which does not benefit Disney in any way.  This is why I could see them expand the deal.  

Sony needs to ride the gravy train of a Tom Holland Spider-man movie because then all of the spinoffs are relevant to the main cash cow which is Disney. 

BTW - I think that the only recent non-Disney movie that did it best by the Disney movies was Deadpool.  Making the final scene near a crashed "Not the SHIELD Helicarrier" was brilliant.  No wonder Iger said, "We plan to keep Ryan Reynolds around as Deadpool."

7 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Now, I cannot help but wonder if Holland is talking about one more Sony movie because he, himself, does not seem to be able to avoid saying things he is not supposed to.  lol 

The irony of him introducing the latest trailer and telling fans to stop watching in order to avoid spoilers was not lost. The only thing better would have been to have Ruffalo introduce the Spider-man trailer. 

I would think though that Marvel has to approve any movie that Holland appears in as Spider-man since they cast the character. I am sure someone much smarter than any of us made sure to stick that into the arrangement of the studios.  The last thing that Disney wants is for Sony to make a standalone Spider-man movie with Holland independent of any Disney owned properties. Because, if they did, then audiences would naturally assume that all spinoffs and tie in movies are related to the Disney movies which does not benefit Disney in any way.  This is why I could see them expand the deal.  

Sony needs to ride the gravy train of a Tom Holland Spider-man movie because then all of the spinoffs are relevant to the main cash cow which is Disney. 

BTW - I think that the only recent non-Disney movie that did it best by the Disney movies was Deadpool.  Making the final scene near a crashed "Not the SHIELD Helicarrier" was brilliant.  No wonder Iger said, "We plan to keep Ryan Reynolds around as Deadpool."

Oddly enough, when Amy Pascal was interviewed recently about Marvel and Sony renewing the contract, her response was the following:

“I think about crying,” Pascal said of a future in which Spider-Man and Marvel retreat to separate corners. “I can only hope for a future where things work out. I've known Kevin since he was Avi's very, very quiet assistant, who for many years sat in that room listening to us and being so much smarter than any of us without any of us realizing. I will say that working with Marvel has been one of the highlights of my professional career.”

Guess who is gone now?

Amy Pascal Exits Sony for Universal Deal (May 1, 2019)

6 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

“I think about crying,” Pascal said of a future in which Spider-Man and Marvel retreat to separate corners. “I can only hope for a future where things work out. I've known Kevin since he was Avi's very, very quiet assistant, who for many years sat in that room listening to us and being so much smarter than any of us without any of us realizing. I will say that working with Marvel has been one of the highlights of my professional career.”

Guess who is gone now?

I'm going to go ahead and just hope that she already knows that Disney will soon be buying Sony Pictures so now's the perfect time to exit.  :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm going to go ahead and just hope that she already knows that Disney will soon be buying Sony Pictures so now's the perfect time to exit.  :wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

I was thinking that myself at first. But with regulator approvals needed for any acquisition like this to avoid a monopoly, could it make its way through after the massive Fox acquisition?

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Oddly enough, when Amy Pascal was interviewed recently about Marvel and Sony renewing the contract, her response was the following:

Guess who is gone now?

The movie industry is behind the times though like the music industry was years ago.  If they don't find ways to put butts in seats then their movies will suffer.  

I watched the ASM 1 and ASM 2 but didn't see the point going to the theater to see it since it was not tied into the Marvel Universe.  There was no point. I am not going to spend my money on everything out there.  I weigh my options as there seem to be so many of them these days.  If Sony doesn't realize that something like their relationship to Disney is in their best interest then I can fondly remember the Holland Spider-man movies as part of the MCU and move forward with other characters.  Disney already proved that Sony needs Disney more than Disney needs Sony. 

AND... at the rate that movies appear on streaming services?  I can wait months to watch a lot of these films and that is also months after the merchandising. 

Bob Iger took part in the annual MoffettNathanson Media & Communications Summit, revealing some exciting details about the company he leads.

Amidst all of the discussion, Iger took a second to speak with the Wall Street analysts about the processes in place for the CEO as the Disney and Fox merger had been in the works. At one point, Iger says, he had to take a gander at Wikipedia to get a real scope of everything the company owned.

"In January of 2019, I came back from the holiday vacation having announced that we were buying Fox and realized I better figure out how we're going to manage this," Iger says. "I rolled a whiteboard into my conference room outside of my office and stood in front of it."

"First what I did was list all of the assets of the company, combined entities, and everything I could think of...I had to go to Wikipedia to find out everything we owned [laughs]," he continues. "It's a long list. I have a good memory but it's not that good."

In the deal, Disney purchased the vast majority of 20th Century Fox, including the movie and television studios, amongst the rights to several popular franchises including Avatar and The Simpsons.

Definitely not a monopoly on entertainment. :insane:

Just under two months after the Walt Disney Company officially took control of the majority of Fox’s film and TV assets in a seismic $71.3 billion deal, another round of lay-offs are slicing through Burbank and over on Pico Boulevard.

A Disney spokesperson has confirmed to Deadline that people are being pink-slipped but gave no further details. However, sources inform us that the cuts are wide-spread across Walt Disney Studios. At the same time we also hear that the latest round of cuts look to be more extensive that the previous layoffs that have occurred since Disney formally acquired the Fox assets on March 19.

As individuals are being informed today, most of the actual exits look to be timed for early June. While particular employees of the now melded companies may be losing their jobs, no single department is being wiped out, it seems. Sources say that among those seeing cuts are top executives in Fox’s domestic film distribution division — in a deeper way than when the unit’s president Chris Aronson was among those laid off in March in the first round of significant post-merger cuts.

Deadline hears that New York-based Bill Lewis and Linda Ditrinco, who had taken over the division after Aronson’s departure, are out as Disney continues to assume oversight of the unit. We also hear that Disney is offering full-time positions to five domestic distribution employees in the New York office and three in Calabasas. Lewis and Ditrinco had been reporting to Disney SVP and General Sales Manager of North America Ken Caldwell, who in turn report to Disney’s President of Distribution and Franchise Management Cathleen Taff. The Fox team is expected to wrap its duties with the release of 20th Century Fox’s X-Men tentpole Dark Phoenix on June 7 with bookers and regional managers already finished with their duties on the flick.

As it stands right now, the cleaving at Fox’s international distribution unit won’t be as harsh as what’s hitting the domestic team. The layoffs notices today follow yesterday’s news that majority stock holding Disney had taken over day-to-day running of Hulu.