• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Don’t know where else to post this, there should probably be a phase 4 thread.

D652928A-677C-46F4-AEC2-CAB0957BF6B3.jpeg.f5bec3a781def37d63054caafd1f7e3a.jpeg

As Mark Kermode calls him... “Charlie Humdrum”.

Did anyone watch King Arthur?

2 hours ago, bane said:

As Mark Kermode calls him... “Charlie Humdrum”.

Did anyone watch King Arthur?

I did. Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Arrows. Guy Ritchie making it into a street boy gone hero really was a shame. It looked to have potential.

But it did feel like watching Jax Teller too often.

I like Hugh Jackman a lot, but they need to get someone rougher, fiercer, and meaner.  Every time I saw Wolverine doing his song and dance shows on Broadway I wanted to take his claws from him.

If I could take anyone regardless of age or their state of actually being alive or not I'd still take Sonny Landham from Predator.  He had the right voice, look, and intensity for Logan, albeit not the right diminutive size since he was 6' 3".

cid_1ABBDFDD-A304-45B0-A7C8-B1A0018F6A05

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I like Hugh Jackman a lot, but they need to get someone rougher, fiercer, and meaner.  Every time I saw Wolverine doing his song and dance shows on Broadway I wanted to take his claws from him.

If I could take anyone regardless of age or their state of actually being alive or not I'd still take Sonny Landham from Predator.  He had the right voice, look, and intensity for Logan, albeit not the right diminutive size since he was 6' 3".

cid_1ABBDFDD-A304-45B0-A7C8-B1A0018F6A05

Although I think Jackman grew into the role, I have to agree Landam would have been intense. That Predator performance was incredible.

Landham probably wasn't a good enough physical actor.  I hope they find someone who really comes off as feral.  They've got all the moneys, so I trust Feige will find someone good.

Disney, Fox Film Division Hit With Third Round of Layoffs

Fox-Studios.jpg

Disney continued to make cuts across the studio’s film division on Wednesday, following its acquisition of Fox’s film and TV entertainment assets. A few dozen employees were affected, according to an individual with knowledge of the layoffs.

This most recent round of layoffs is the smallest so far after Disney’s $71.3 billion acquisition of Fox, but details of which departments within the studio’s film arm were hit were unclear. In May, Fox’s corporate communications team was among the departments hit in the second round of layoffs on the film side.

The Mouse House began layoffs in March by letting go of senior-level staff and executives at Fox in what is expected to amount to more than 4,000 jobs being eliminated as part of its Fox integration. The first set of cuts hit both the TV and film studios and created a sense of unease and uncertainty on the Fox studio lot. Disney leadership has said it plans to have roughly $2 billion in cost-saving as job cuts continue to eliminate overlapping business functions.

Disney has already set its leadership team in place, naming senior Fox veterans Peter Rice and Dana Walden to leadership roles post-takeover.

Wow!

Now that Marvel has completed their purchase of Fox and all the included Marvel characters, there is a question of where that leaves Brolin’s Cable. He discussed the situation while appearing at ACE Comic Con Seattle. Brolin was asked during a Q&A by a fan about his possible inclusion in the MCU as Cable.

"I don’t know what’s going to happen. I’m actually - I’ve been calling them, like, ‘What’s the deal with Cable, man?’ Seriously, 100 percent serious. They’re figuring it out. It’s a big world now, it just got much, much bigger. So who knows."

The confusion about what will happen with the Fox characters has been ongoing since Marvel obtained their rights. While the X-Men themselves have apparently been put on hiatus, Marvel has made overtures about the DeadPool franchise and that would most likely include Josh Brolin’s Cable. Especially since there was a plan by Fox to make an X-Force film with DeadPool, Cable, and Domino. In the meantime, we, like Josh, will have to be patient and see what transpires.

I guess this is the official hand-off as now Disney has broken up the Fox properties between the executives.

Despite a wave of rumors she might be headed for the executives suites of Paramount or Warner Bros, Emma Watts is staying put at Fox/Disney. Deadline hears that the vice chairman and head of production is in the middle of formalizing a plan with the studio to stay on in the future and continue to steer Fox’s film division. There was no comment or confirmation from Disney.

Sources familiar with what’s going on there tell me that while Watts had to give up the Marvel properties that include Deadpool to Kevin Feige, her decision to continue was certainly incentivized by continuing to oversee the Avatar sequels generated by James Cameron. Those films will go a long way toward showing whether or not Disney’s acquisition of Fox was a good idea. Watts, I’m told, will be key to the relationship with Cameron, who has four shots at wresting his all-time global box office crown back from Avengers: Endgame directors Joe and Anthony Russo when the films get released in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027.

As evidenced by this morning’s news that the James Mangold-directed Ford V Ferrari with Christian Bale and Matt Damon was chosen to premiere at the Toronto Film Festival in September before it is released in awards season November 15, and yesterday when Ridley Scott abruptly committed to direct Damon and Ben Affleck in The Last Duel from the -script they wrote with Nicole Holofcener, there is a benefit in having on the Disney lot a strong executive making adult films, one with solid relationships with A-list filmmakers. While Disney’s current output is dominated by Feige’s Marvel superhero efforts, Kathy Kennedy’s Lucasfilm Star Wars and Indiana Jones films, Pixar, and Sean Bailey’s live-action family film division that is minting money with The Lion King remake, there are long-term risks of going to those wells too often. And there is no one else on the lot better positioned than Watts to create a niche in the PG-13 and adult space that led to the launch of original franchises like Kingsman, Murder on the Orient Express and Deadpool.

The former Fox lead gets all other properties other than the Marvel Comics films (including Avatar).

And of course, Feige gets everything else.

Amidst rumors Fox Studios boss Emma Watts was leaving Fox/Disney for a competing studio, it appears creative control over Deadpool and the entire library of X-Men characters has officially been given to Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige. In a new report by Deadline, it's suggested Watts had been planning to leave once creative control was handed over — that was, of course, until the Fox exec was giving oversight of James Cameron's Avatar franchise.

Because of the Avatar concession, it appears all parties are happy with the current arrangement, something likely to excite most fans of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Since the Fox/Disney merger officially closed earlier this spring, fans have been anxious to see mutants join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. At Marvel's massive Phase 4 slate dump at Comic-Con, no X-Men-based properties were announced, though Feige did tease the addition of both the Fantastic Four and mutants before too long.

In an interview earlier this year, Feige himself admitted he was "extremely excited" to bring both the X-Men and Fantastic Four to life in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, saying he strived to bring them up to a "level that they deserve."

"I'm extremely excited about those characters and about bringing Marvel's First Family up to the platform and the level that they deserve," Feige said.

“The truth is, I’m excited for all of them. I’m excited, and it’s not just the marquee names you know — there are hundreds of names on those documents, on those agreements,” Feige said at the Golden Globes. “And the fact that Marvel is as close as we may ever get now to having access to all of the characters, is something I’ve been dreaming about for my almost 20 years at Marvel. And it’s very exciting.”

Several dozen staffers have been let go at Disney’s film and visual effects units, including the Fox studio being absorbed into the company. About 250 workers have been let go to date, a studio source tells Deadline.

Those exiting Fox include John Kilkenny, who headed visual effects; Fred Baron, VP of feature production; Dana Bel Castro, SVP of physical production; and Fred Chandler, EVP of post-production. All of them had reported to Fox exec Emma Watts, who last week was confirmed as staying at the company in a new pact at Disney. The layoffs were implemented on Wednesday.

Also headed for the dustbin is a valuable Hollywood resource: the Fox Research Library. By the start of 2020, its collections will be folded into Disney’s archives. The Fox library has served countless productions with information from the 19th and 20th centuries that informed all aspects of their look and feel.

The trims at the film studio represent a very small portion of the thousands of workers being displaced across the company due to job eliminations and layoffs. Since Disney’s $71.3 billion acquisition of most of 21st Century Fox closed in March, the company has been working toward a projected target of $2 billion in merger-related synergies. It will give a status update on its progress to Wall Street next Wednesday when it reports third-quarter earnings.

Earlier rounds of layoffs on the film side generally have affected Fox staffers in areas like distribution and marketing where there are clear overlaps between the studios’ operations.

30 minutes ago, Antpark said:

Just . . . .why?

Have we finally run out of ideas now that even these movies need a redo? 

Here's where Disney has gotten itself into a slight pickle.

Disney closes $71 billion deal with Fox

Notably, Disney wasn't the only studio thinking this way. Comcast (CMCSA), the parent of NBCUniversal, made its own aggressive bid for the Fox holdings, which wound up costing Disney far more than its initial $52-billion offer to secure the rights.

Disney had to pay $19 Billion higher than it originally had planned to do. Think about that.

These articles requoting the same BS that Iger is noting part of its losses this past quarter is partly due to failed or low-profit Fox films is smoke and mirrors to distract from reality. That money had to come out of somewhere, whether it be layoffs, relaunching old franchises or rethinking in-flight films such as Avatar and the Kingsman prequel. So now we are seeing what comes from that when we get franchise relaunches to recover BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

Edited by Bosco685

33 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

To think Star Wars and Marvel were only 4 billion when they were purchased. Its like a drop in the bucket compared to Fox. I remember back then everyone was panicking on how they would recoup the costs for that amount.

It really is a good point.

2006 - Disney purchases Pixar ($7.4 billion)

2009 - Disney purchases Marvel Entertainment ($4.24 billion)

2015 - Disney purchases LucasFilm ($4.05 billion)

2019 - Disney purchases 21st Century Fox ($71.3 billion)

The number is just so massive.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Here's where Disney has gotten itself into a slight pickle.

Disney closes $71 billion deal with Fox

Disney had to pay $19 Billion higher than it originally had planned to do. Think about that.

These articles requoting the same BS that Iger is noting part of its losses this past quarter is partly due to failed or low-profit Fox films is smoke and mirrors to distract from reality. That money had to come out of somewhere, whether it be layoffs, relaunching old franchises or rethinking in-flight films such as Avatar and the Kingsman prequel. So now we are seeing what comes from that when we get franchise relaunches to recover BILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

I am pretty sure this guarantees more Planet of Apes, Aliens and X-Files plus a Buffy the Vampire resurrection.

(thumbsu

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It really is a good point.

2006 - Disney purchases Pixar ($7.4 billion)

2009 - Disney purchases Marvel Entertainment ($4.24 billion)

2015 - Disney purchases LucasFilm ($4.05 billion)

2019 - Disney purchases 21st Century Fox ($71.3 billion)

The number is just so massive.

What you have to remember is the Fox deal was, in many ways, different than the other deals.  Disney has already divested over $25 billion from that deal and as well as the studio got a controlling share of HULU, a huge stake in India TV Studios, and other assets.  Did Disney overpay?  Probably.  But not as much as that comparison would make it seem.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

What you have to remember is the Fox deal was, in many ways, different than the other deals.  Disney has already divested over $25 billion from that deal and as well as the studio got a controlling share of HULU, a huge stake in India TV Studios, and other assets.  Did Disney overpay?  Probably.  But not as much as that comparison would make it seem.

Oh, I didn't forget about the Hulu ownership.

Hulu posting losses

According to Hulu, its 2018 advertising revenue rose 45% to nearly $1.5 billion. Hulu is also adding subscribers and investing in original content and licensed series. It’s added 8 million subscribers since January 2018 and nearly 22 million subscribers since January 2012.

Despite its strong subscriber growth, the Internet streaming service provider is piling up significant losses for its owners. Though Hulu does not report its numbers, according to the Securities and Exchange Commission filings of its parent companies, Hulu’s annual losses are expected to stand at ~$1.5 billion, much higher than its losses of $920 million in 2017. Reportedly, the company’s losses more than doubled to reach $440 million in the third quarter of 2018 compared to its losses of $207 million in the same quarter of the previous year.

?load=aHR0cHM6Ly9tYXJrZXRyZWFsaXN0LmltZ2

Hulu’s losses are rising, as it’s spending billions of dollars to build up its subscriber base amid competition from streaming giants such as Netflix (NFLX), Amazon Prime Video, and other live TV services. Hulu is also offering huge discounts, such as a subscription video on demand plan with ads for just $12 for the first year.

Hulu’s shows cater to both adults and kids. Hulu’s dark originals such as The Handmaid’s Tale and Castle Rock have been very popular among adult users. Its offerings blend live TV and a large on-demand selection, including exclusive and original series.

In 2019, the Walt Disney Company (DIS) will obtain a 60% holding in Hulu after it closes its acquisition of 21st Century Fox (FOXA). The addition of Fox’s assets will add FX’s and Fox’s programming to Hulu’s robust content portfolio. Disney is also expected to focus on Hulu’s premium content targeted at adults, while its upcoming Disney+ service will be aimed at kids and families. Disney will likely also be looking to expand Hulu to other international markets.

This is part of Disney's streaming plan the quarterly results noted a loss. At least for a period of time as it gets both Hulu and Disney+ in order. Which is why Comcast used its Fox loss to target Sky instead.

How Comcast Plans to Leverage Its $39 Billion Sky Acquisition in 2019

Comcast's $39 billion deal for European pay TV giant Sky was one of the biggest media industry deals of 2018. After outbidding Walt Disney and sealing the deal in the fall, the focus for the U.S. cable powerhouse is now on reaping the benefits. No surprise then that Macquarie Capital analyst Amy Yong in a recent report highlighted that for investors "the biggest question post Comcast's victory" is "what is it going to do with Sky?"

Fox highlighted Wednesday that its Sky stake is worth 11.6 billion pounds, or more than $15 billion at current currency exchange rates, under Comcast's winning Sky bid. The planned sale will allow Comcast to take full control of Sky. Comcast chairman and CEO Brian Roberts has said that the addition of Sky would boost and accelerate the company's international strategy, saying it would be "increasing revenues from outside the U.S. to 25 percent of the total from around 9 percent."

Sky is currently offering traditional pay TV and streaming services in the U.K., Ireland, Italy, Germany and Austria, as well as streaming-only services in Spain and Switzerland. Comcast and Sky executives have said since the deal close that the company is considering rolling out additional services in existing markets, but also signaled that Sky could end up launching in new markets. 

Between Disney and Comcast, seems like they both achieved a big win.

Fox's entire remaining movie slate and division is probably gone at this point (except Deadpoil).  Any worthwhile IP's will be brought under the Disney production umbrella, except maybe future R content being shifted to a gutted and fully reorganized Fox lable.

Starting to look like they paid too much money in the short term.  While it is understandable the increased cost over Pixar, Lucasfilm,  and Marvel due to the shear size of the Fox library, just not seeing the quick and massive  returns they have seen on Pixar and Marvel (Lucasfilm is boardline profitable at best right now). Going to be 15 to 20 years to justify the purchase.

24 minutes ago, drotto said:

Fox's entire remaining movie slate and division is probably gone at this point (except Deadpoil).  Any worthwhile IP's will be brought under the Disney production umbrella, except maybe future R content being shifted to a gutted and fully reorganized Fox lable.

Starting to look like they paid too much money in the short term.  While it is understandable the increased cost over Pixar, Lucasfilm,  and Marvel due to the shear size of the Fox library, just not seeing the quick and massive  returns they have seen on Pixar and Marvel (Lucasfilm is boardline profitable at best right now). Going to be 15 to 20 years to justify the purchase.

And this is where you have to really give it to Iger as a major corporate leader. Knowing this is going to take a long time to play out, yet investors like to think in quarters versus years to see benefits. He's on the tail-end of his career - sure. But who wants to go out being seen as someone that buried their company with financial burdens while heading out? He's committed to the vision over how his transition is perceived.