• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

This. I'm thinking things are going a totally different direction from what everyone is anticipating. From everything I've read it sounds like Comcast is going to be pretty aggresive

It doesn't matter how "aggressive" an offer Comcast comes up with, Disney's will always be better.  Comcast knows they are out of their league and will never be anything more than a mild spoiler/agitator that simply forces Disney to raise their offer. 

-J.

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

It doesn't matter how "aggressive" an offer Comcast comes up with, Disney's will always be better.  Comcast knows they are out of their league and will never be anything more than a mild spoiler/agitator that simply forces Disney to raise their offer. 

-J.

It sounds like comcast is making more of a cash offer that is higher than Disney. Also I think Disney is using shares as part of their deal....Hard to beat cash

9 minutes ago, STORMSHADOW_80 said:

It sounds like comcast is making more of a cash offer that is higher than Disney. Also I think Disney is using shares as part of their deal....Hard to beat cash

Disney is far too rich and they need the characters Fox owns to continue doing what they're doing.

I would say there's probably less than a 5% chance they allow Fox to slip through their fingers to the likes of Comcast. 

-J.

12 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Disney is far too rich and they need the characters Fox owns to continue doing what they're doing.

I would say there's probably less than a 5% chance they allow Fox to slip through their fingers to the likes of Comcast. 

-J.

Wow. I take the polar opposite view.

Comcast has the money to spend -- and needs the Fox IP to compete far more than Disney does.

For Disney, Fox is icing on the cake -- for Comcast, it's the meal, the cake and the ice cream.

Similar to Verizon's buying Yahoo but on a _much_ bigger scale.

12 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Wow. I take the polar opposite view.

Comcast has the money to spend -- and needs the Fox IP to compete far more than Disney does.

For Disney, Fox is icing on the cake -- for Comcast, it's the meal, the cake and the ice cream.

Similar to Verizon's buying Yahoo but on a _much_ bigger scale.

I don't believe Comcast does have the money to spend.  They would need to take a loan from a bank and that's not something the shareholders would even necessarily approve.  Then of course they would be on the hook for the $2B+ penalty for Fox breaking off talks with Disney as well. 

Disney and Fox are far too far along in the process now. This really just looks like a cheap ploy to get Disney to pony up a little more money to cinch the deal.  

Something that is not difficult for them to do if they need to.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I don't think Disney has as much cash to throw around currently. It was a big thing to even add on to the park. They had to delay the California park because of the loss Hong Kong was taking. A lot has to do with perception of share holders etc.

Stockholders will not trust Comcast because of their track record with deals like this. Disney is the better buyer and fox head even said he remains committed to the deal with Disney. 

2 hours ago, jason4 said:

Stockholders will not trust Comcast because of their track record with deals like this. Disney is the better buyer and fox head even said he remains committed to the deal with Disney. 

You are thinking like a long-term investor. Most institutions are going to look at it as 'NOW MONEY' - how much liquid cash can they pull at the end of the acquisition. Especially in a straight cash buyout.

Disney would be a stock swap. But that's only going to matter to those that want to hold onto stock.

Edited by Bosco685

Disney Preparing to Battle Comcast Over Fox

According to CNBC, Disney is prepared to offer significant cash if needed to seal the Fox deal. Disney and Fox have been in agreement on a $53.4 billion bid to purchase Fox's movie studio and other significant assets, but Comcast's all-cash offer for some of those assets could put a wrench into those plans.

How Disney's plan counter would work depends on a lot of variables. Currently, Disney's deal for Fox consists of all stock. With Comcast's offer being all-cash and anticipated to top Disney's all-stock offer, Disney could add cash on top if its existing bid or, alternatively, mix up the composition of the current bid to include both stock and cash.

What Disney does also depends on the offer from Comcast. Comcast's all-cash bid itself is still in the consideration and preparation phase. Comcast said last week that no final decision had been made about the offer but noted it would be as good as Disney's offer at a minimum.

"Any offer for Fox would be all-cash and at a premium to the value of the current all-share offer from Disney," Comcast said last week. "The structure and terms of any offer by Comcast, including with respect to both the spin-off of 'New Fox' and the regulatory risk provisions and the related termination fee, would be at least as favorable to Fox shareholders as the Disney offer."

:popcorn:

Disney's stock is down 9% from a year ago today.

Comic book movies aside, it's been a rough year.

ESPN lost 500,000 subscribers last month alone -- it's down 1% overall from a year ago; ABC's # 1 TV show (that'd be Roseanne) was just cancelled; Solo's underperforming...

May not be the best time to pursue a very expensive merger, even if the IP could assist in the long run...

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Disney's stock is down 9% from a year ago today.

Comic book movies aside, it's been a rough year.

ESPN lost 500,000 subscribers last month alone -- it's down 1% overall from a year ago; ABC's # 1 TV show (that'd be Roseanne) was just cancelled; Solo's underperforming...

May not be the best time to pursue a very expensive merger, even if the IP could assist in the long run...

Their stock has been down all year before all of that you listed, and ESPN has been declining for the last decade so it's not exactly a surprise.  Their stock's performance this year is following a similar trend from the past three to four years.  It's a fine time for a merger if they want to compete with Netflix as they're currently aspiring to do.  I'm still surprised they haven't just outright bought Netflix, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they talked to them about it and Netflix's price was insanely inflated given their explosive growth over the past decade.

Fox set a vote to happen on July 10th for shareholders to approve or disapprove the deal so we'll see then.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 1/5/2018 at 6:58 PM, Chip Cataldo said:

2 years? No way. Look how fast the Spider-Man Civil War stuff happened, and that was 2 different companies. 

It has been almost 6 months since we debated this 2 years stuff. My two years was a conservative pick. Making movies can take years because multi-million dollars are involved. Add this Comcast snafu and we could be looking at longer than 2 years now.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

32 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Add this Comcast snafu and we could be looking at longer than 2 years now.

As a Marvel fan I'm hoping the July 10th shareholder vote is the definitive squash on the Comcast bid.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

As a Marvel fan I'm hoping the July 10th shareholder vote is the definitive squash on the Comcast bid.

It would be cool to see so many of these characters come back together on the big screen. My fear is bigger ticket price could win out since people want their near-term money.