• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, rjrjr said:

If the Justice Department is blocking AT&T and Warner merging and that isn't even a vertical merge which eliminates competition, I have a hard time believing they would allow Disney and Fox to merge because that does eliminate competition.

It's not a merge, it's Disney buying Fox's entertainment division. News and sports aren't included. 

14 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

It's not a merge, it's Disney buying Fox's entertainment division. News and sports aren't included. 

Correct.  From a pure legal standpoint not much different that when Disney bought Lucasfilm and Marvel.  Little more complicated because some pieces are not being purchased or may need purchasing and then will be divested.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

Correct.  From a pure legal standpoint not much different that when Disney bought Lucasfilm and Marvel.  Little more complicated because some pieces are not being purchased or may need purchasing and then will be divested.

With less complexity, like Disney buying Lucasfilm but not the film rights to A New Hope. None of that now. AND, they get A New Hope.

Edited by Bosco685
A correction of course

What I  really want is for Disney to find some way out of their deal with Universal Theme parks ( I know a leftover from Marvel pre Disney days). So frustrating that they have all this superhero stuff and we can't get a fully Marvel themed amusment park at Disney World.  

12 minutes ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Why is that? 

I'm happy with what Fox churned out Deadpool, Logan, The Wolverine, X-Men 2, First Class, DofP and yes even Apocalypse I enjoyed. For me, all solid movies that I have re-watched several times.

I don't want to see Disney end up with a massive monopoly.

I didn't grow up reading Marvel so I don't really care if the X-Men or FF show up in the MCU or not and I honestly don't need to see X-Men or its off shoots shoved through the Marvel masher.

10 minutes ago, bane said:

I'm happy with what Fox churned out Deadpool, Logan, The Wolverine, X-Men 2, First Class, DofP and yes even Apocalypse I enjoyed. For me, all solid movies that I have re-watched several times.

I didn't grow up reading Marvel so I don't really care if the X-Men or FF show up in the MCU or not and I honestly don't need to see X-Men or its off shoots shoved through the Marvel masher.

THAT is the big risk here.

Once these characters roll under the Disney umbrella, will the R-Rated drive pull back because it is unfitting to The Mouse?

23 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

THAT is the big risk here.

Once these characters roll under the Disney umbrella, will the R-Rated drive pull back because it is unfitting to The Mouse?

Disney has put out R rated films in the past, but it has always been done under a subsidiary and not the main label. I think they would be willing to do it, but it would be very limited.  It runs into difficulty because Marvel is so associated with Disney at this point, where they have traditionally kept their distance from the more adult divisions under the Disney umbrella.

17 minutes ago, drotto said:

Disney has put out R rated films in the past, but it has always been done under a subsidiary and not the main label. I think they would be willing to do it, but it would be very limited.  It runs into difficulty because Marvel is so associated with Disney at this point, where they have traditionally kept their distance from the more adult divisions under the Disney umbrella.

As much as we want to pitch what we think will happen, Feige has weighed in on this already and confirmed R-Rated will be considered later. Right now, it is not the plan they have in the works.

You would hope they see the success Fox had for real with these films, and not want to mess with a now proven formula. But we will see.

Disney Re-Engaged In Talks With Fox, Deal Reportedly Gaining Momentum

According to a report from the Wall Street Journal, Walt Disney and 21st Century Fox have restarted serious discussions to move divisions of the company to the house of mouse. The deal would include Fox's movie studio 20th Century Fox as well as its Fox television network and FX network.

It would also feature the National Geographic cable group, as well as a 30% piece of Hulu, 39% interest stake in the Sky broadcasting company, and Star India. Those assets combined are valued at around $48.5 billion, and while Disney is once again the front-runner, it seems Comcast is also heavily interested in acquiring that bundle of assets as well.

It would benefit Disney in a greater way, however, as taking control of 20th Century Fox would give Marvel back characters it has long craved, such as the X-Men and Fantastic Four. That would provide Marvel Studios a whole new slew of characters to integrate into the MCU, and Disney even more ways to grow the IP. That doesn't mean 20th Century Fox won't still be making movies with the X-Men and ancillary characters like Deadpool though, but it will likely only use the characters that lend themselves to more adult overtones.

For Disney, that would be the latest in a line of mega purchases, starting with the acquisition of Marvel in 2009, followed by Lucasfilm in 2012. It seems another landmark purchase could very well be in the company's near future.

PLEASE! Let me see a solid Galactus portrayal sometime in my life in a live film.

:wishluck:

Disney Is Now Said To Be The Favourite To Acquire 21st Century Fox's Media Assets

Ever since it was first announced that 21st Century Fox might be interested in selling a good chunk of its studio and media assets to Disney, we've all been watching the situation very closely indeed. There is a lot more on the table than just the rights to Fox's roster of Marvel Comics characters, but that's obviously what CBMers are paying most attention to.

We recently reported that talks with both Disney and Comcast resumed, but now Bloomberg has posted an update which suggest that Fox sees The Mouse House as a "better strategic fit with fewer regulatory hurdles."

I hope the sale goes through.

It would be good to see the X-Men and the Fantastic Four in the MCU and hopefully to see the Fantastic Four back in print.  :wishluck:

The only negative is that back issues of FF and X-Men have been relatively cheap.  

On 12/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, bane said:

Actually Fox has made two of my favorite superhero movies of all-time Deadpool and Logan. It will be a bittersweet moment when they are no longer a player.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

3 hours ago, 1koko said:

I hope the sale goes through.

It would be good to see the X-Men and the Fantastic Four in the MCU and hopefully to see the Fantastic Four back in print.  :wishluck:

The only negative is that back issues of FF and X-Men have been relatively cheap.  

If it goes thru expected bumps on FF keys including FF 1 and 48.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

On 12/1/2017 at 9:28 AM, bane said:

The Wolverine Extended Extreme Edition is worth the viewing more than once. But even the Theatrical Cut is a cool film to rewatch. Loved the soundtrack too.