• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

On 7/29/2018 at 9:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

A good buddy of mine posted this on FB as his treatment for the FF.  I think it’s great.

“Make the Fantastic Four movie a period piece set in the Space Race. Cast them as the outdated archetypal characters they are, like a satire of Mad Men. At the end of the first movie/origin they are thrown forward in time to just post-Infiity War. Reed is as brilliant as Tony, but his tech is all done in a retro-futuristic Kirby style.”

The biggest problem has been the studios trying to “modernize” them.  It doesn’t work as it loses all the goofy charm that made them so wonderful in the first place.  

Sounds a little too Brady Bunch movie for my tastes.

I would like to see them play it straight for a change, and not have it devolve into sarcastic humor and self deprecating jabs that fill the ennui engorged fanboys with glee.

If they play the FF straight, we'll get plenty of sarcastic humor and self-deprecating jabs.  The Thing and the Human Torch would account for all of that on their own if they trust the relationships in the source material.

51 minutes ago, Drummy said:

If they play the FF straight, we'll get plenty of sarcastic humor and self-deprecating jabs.  The Thing and the Human Torch would account for all of that on their own if they trust the relationships in the source material.

I disagree. The Thing can be humorous and his interplay with the other characters can be as well. But the new norm is to make everyone funny most of the time.

On 7/29/2018 at 8:34 AM, october said:

I don't think there is anything inherently more difficult in translating those properties to film than any other. Fox just didn't have the first clue on how to do it.

Marvel does. They made a talking raccoon and a tree into a success. FF, Surfer and Galactus are total layups in comparison. 

FF is a bad Image team book out of the 1990's.  Fire guy, retread Plastic Man, a big guy who smashes stuff, and a female love interest who turns invisible who get from point A to point B in a flying car.  xD

Edited by Lucky Baru

On 7/29/2018 at 10:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

A good buddy of mine posted this on FB as his treatment for the FF.  I think it’s great.

“Make the Fantastic Four movie a period piece set in the Space Race. Cast them as the outdated archetypal characters they are, like a satire of Mad Men. At the end of the first movie/origin they are thrown forward in time to just post-Infiity War. Reed is as brilliant as Tony, but his tech is all done in a retro-futuristic Kirby style.”

The biggest problem has been the studios trying to “modernize” them.  It doesn’t work as it loses all the goofy charm that made them so wonderful in the first place.  

I like it.

On 8/16/2018 at 6:45 PM, Chuck Gower said:
On 7/29/2018 at 7:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

I like it.

+1

Not that Marvel or Disney gives a flying flip about what I think, but here's what I would like to see:

Spoiler

A mid-credit scene at the end of Avengers 4 with a bunch of Shield scientists working around a Stranger Things style rift/portal.  One walks up to it and is startled when a human arm come out, but only about half-way before collapsing to the ground.  They all get excited and proceed to start pulling on the arm, but they get about 12 feet worth of arm out and the body still hasn't made it through. And that's it.

Movie 1.  Much like described in the posts above.  Set in the 60's, the first half of the movie introducing them and then showing the four getting their powers.

The last half revolves around the discovery of the same rift/portal opening up and an army of bug warriors coming out.  They repel them and it's decided the Four will go through it to try and seal it off.  Of course they meet Annihilus; a big battle ensues, they win, but can't get back home, as the portal they entered has closed in the Negative Zone and they have to find another one.

And wouldn't you know it, when they all make it back to earth, it's 2020 and they haven't aged a day.  :whatthe:

hm  That might be 2 movies.

12 hours ago, WeR138 said:

Not that Marvel or Disney gives a flying flip about what I think, but here's what I would like to see:

Reveal hidden contents

A mid-credit scene at the end of Avengers 4 with a bunch of Shield scientists working around a Stranger Things style rift/portal.  One walks up to it and is startled when a human arm come out, but only about half-way before collapsing to the ground.  They all get excited and proceed to start pulling on the arm, but they get about 12 feet worth of arm out and the body still hasn't made it through. And that's it.

Movie 1.  Much like described in the posts above.  Set in the 60's, the first half of the movie introducing them and then showing the four getting their powers.

The last half revolves around the discovery of the same rift/portal opening up and an army of bug warriors coming out.  They repel them and it's decided the Four will go through it to try and seal it off.  Of course they meet Annihilus; a big battle ensues, they win, but can't get back home, as the portal they entered has closed in the Negative Zone and they have to find another one.

And wouldn't you know it, when they all make it back to earth, it's 2020 and they haven't aged a day.  :whatthe:

hm  That might be 2 movies.

I don't really want The First Avenger treatment of FF. With Captain Marvel primarily set in the past, there are already more than enough retro-aged MCU offerings. The additional problem is that we also have enough origin stories... At some point, I think we're going to have "enough" superheroes.

That's where Avengers: Infinity War pleased me. It wasn't the typical Marvel formula. If they can successfully develop darker films throughout all of the happy-go-lucky comedies, then they can keeping pushing back the inevitable Comic Fatigue. I'd be interested in seeing a serious version of FF vs Doctor Doom. Not the underpants stain of Fan4stic.

I'm very, very interested to see what develops in Phase 4. With everything foreshadowed and accomplished throughout Phases 1-3, how do they expect to keep us interested? The Infinity Stones and the looming threat of Thanos brought everything together for 22 films. How do they plan on intertwining future films? Will there be a bigger threat than the death of 1/2 the universe? Maybe Galactus? How do you involve him in most films? There will be some, like The Winter Solider and Black Panther, that don't involve the looming threat and are great I'm sure.

It will be tough to keep my attention post-Avengers 4. I am very interested to see how they plan on going about it.

giphy.gif

"It was reported earlier this week that Disney’s acquisition of Fox could be finalized by the end of January. On the heels of this announcement, Kevin Feige appeared on Variety‘s Playback podcast to talk about Marvel Studios’ plans for the future. Feige has previously suggested that the studio has no immediate plans to bring Fox’s Marvel characters into the MCU fold. But when merger came up, he revealed that plans might start to take shape sooner than expected.

“We’ve been told it’s looking very, very good and could happen in the first six months of next year,” said Feige. “The notion of the characters coming back is great. It’s nice when a company that created all these characters can have access to all those characters. It’s unusual not to. But in terms of actually thinking about it and actually planning things, we haven’t started that yet.”"

https://www.superherohype.com/movies/431153-kevin-feige-teases-plans-for-foxs-marvel-characters

Edited by Callaway29

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:33 AM, chrisco37 said:

That idea sounds great!

On 12/28/2018 at 1:19 PM, Callaway29 said:

“The notion of the characters coming back is great. It’s nice when a company that created all these characters can have access to all those characters. It’s unusual not to. But in terms of actually thinking about it and actually planning things, we haven’t started that yet.”"

I'll bet that isn't true but that he's got nothing final to report publicly.  He has to have already mentally penciled in how and far more importantly when he's going to fit them into the universe.

Who knows what they'll do, but if I had to bet it would be a crossover film arc between Avengers and Fantastic Four featuring Galactus as the big bad with the entire universe coming together to fight him.

“Significant Progress” Toward Closing Disney Deal

As regulators in South America continue to conduct their review of the Disney-Fox deal following sign-off from governments in the U.S., UK, China and elsewhere, Fox said it is ready to start trading as Fox Corp. An SEC Form 10 officially registering the newly pared-down Fox Corp. took effect February 5. Fox and Disney (which reported its quarterly results yesterday) both have reiterated their expectation that the merger will close in the first half of 2019.

11 hours ago, media_junkie said:

Ok, I'm no titan of industry, so why is it that an american company that is buying another american company have to get approval from all these foreign companies?

Because they sell their products in those foreign countries.  I dunno how much revenue ESPN and Fox Sports generate in Brazil, but I'm sure it's a number in the tens of millions to hundreds of millions, so it definitely complicates things.

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Because they sell their products in those foreign countries.  I dunno how much revenue ESPN and Fox Sports generate in Brazil, but I'm sure it's a number in the tens of millions to hundreds of millions, so it definitely complicates things.

So if Pepsi and their stockholders decided it was in their best interest to sell to Coca-Cola, it would have to be approved by pretty much every other country in the world, even though they are both American based companies?

8 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

So if Pepsi and their stockholders decided it was in their best interest to sell to Coca-Cola, it would have to be approved by pretty much every other country in the world, even though they are both American based companies?

If they want to keep selling Coke in those countries, yes.  Every country has the sovereign right to govern commerce within its borders.  Pepsi could of course decide to stop doing business in a country who was placing unfair demands upon them, but for a company that big it'd mean millions or billions in lost revenue depending upon the size of the country.  Brazil has over 200 million people, so I'm sure Disney wants to keep selling ESPN and/or Fox Sports to them if at all possible.

Posting here because I never heard about Disney's planned R-rated branch. Will also post in ghost rider thread, assuming one exists and I can find it...

Update: Couldn't find ghost rider thread. With that said, Norman freaking Reedus! That would be epic... Yes, I realize these are just rumors...

Edited by Callaway29