• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disney/Fox Talks
3 3

731 posts in this topic

While I do think it would be cool for Marvel to have ALL of its heroes under one roof, I think FOX, as a whole, has done a decent job with the X-Men franchise. While they have had their flops ( X3, Wolverine: Origins, Apocalypse I'm looking at you), as a whole, they have done some very good work.  I still either really like or love X1, X2, First Class, Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan...Not a bad track record.

I would be fine with the X-Men staying in their own separate 'movie universe'.  Incorporating mutants into the MCU and the underlying fear of people born with special abilities will be "diminished" (and I always felt this with the comics) as there are already lots of people with special powers running around.

The only property that I really wish would revert to Marvel would be the Fantastic Four.  I think Marvel could reincorporate them fairly seamlessly into the MCU and the FF would fit well with the established formula (imagine Chris Evans playing the Torch again LOL).  Plus, gaining access to all those other villains (Doctor Doom, Galactus) and the Surfer could be pretty epic.

41 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

While I do think it would be cool for Marvel to have ALL of its heroes under one roof, I think FOX, as a whole, has done a decent job with the X-Men franchise. While they have had their flops ( X3, Wolverine: Origins, Apocalypse I'm looking at you), as a whole, they have done some very good work.  I still either really like or love X1, X2, First Class, Days of Future Past, Deadpool, Logan...Not a bad track record.

I would be fine with the X-Men staying in their own separate 'movie universe'.  Incorporating mutants into the MCU and the underlying fear of people born with special abilities will be "diminished" (and I always felt this with the comics) as there are already lots of people with special powers running around.

The only property that I really wish would revert to Marvel would be the Fantastic Four.  I think Marvel could reincorporate them fairly seamlessly into the MCU and the FF would fit well with the established formula (imagine Chris Evans playing the Torch again LOL).  Plus, gaining access to all those other villains (Doctor Doom, Galactus) and the Surfer could be pretty epic.

Considering what Disney and Marvel have not had access to over the years, it make the success of the MCU even more impressive. 

35 minutes ago, drotto said:

Considering what Disney and Marvel have not had access to over the years, it make the success of the MCU even more impressive. 

I hear that from time to time. But then I remember Captain America, Iron Man, The Hulk and Thor have been mainstream for a long time when it comes to Marvel. The Avengers as well.

From the 1966 series on, these characters have been in cartoons, extensive merchandising and with The Hulk a famous TV show. I'd say Guardians, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange were the later big wins on new properties not commonly known. But they rode on the coattails of some big players.

1 hour ago, Chip Cataldo said:

Make the FF a 1960s period piece with the correct origin story. Doctor Doom has a time machine which is how they get to the present day MCU. Done. 

Maybe have them frozen in ice and then the Avengers can find them. Oh wait...

If this occurs does Disney.......

1. Reboot everything including re casting everyone.

2. Partially reboot keeping the story and people they like and junking the rest.

3. Keep the Fox continuity and casting and find a way for it to fit in the current MCU. 

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

If this occurs does Disney.......

1. Reboot everything including re casting everyone.

2. Partially reboot keeping the story and people they like and junking the rest.

3. Keep the Fox continuity and casting and find a way for it to fit in the current MCU. 

They have some of the biggest stars in these roles right now. So to toss away a Michael Fassbender or James McAvoy or Jennifer Lawrence would be wasted talent.

But with Jennifer Lawrence, she needs to deliver on a better representation than she demonstrated in X-Men: Apocalypse. When she forced them to change the costume to make it easier on her, it seemed to take away from the character design.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

They have some of the biggest stars in these roles right now. So to toss away a Michael Fassbender or James McAvoy or Jennifer Lawrence would be wasted talent.

But with Jennifer Lawrence, she needs to deliver on a better representation than she demonstrated in X-Men: Apocalypse. When she forced them to change the costume to make it easier on her, it seemed to take away from the character design.

I think the costume was changed in DoFP. I understand her wanting the change.  I also think that her box office power is dropping, and I think she announced she is going to take like 2 years off. So that decision may have already been made.

I do think many of the roles have been well cast by Fox, and I would like the people to stay.  Also stories like First class, DoFP, and Deadpool were great and deserve to be in continuity. 

Looks like deal is done

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/sorry-deadpool-ryan-reynolds-x-mens-wolverine-avengers-unite-disneyfox-close-acquisition-deal-752102

X-Men's Wolverine and Avengers unite as Disney–Fox close acquisition deal

It is finally happening! Weeks after news broke out that Walt Disney Co. was in talks with Fox to acquire their entertainment segment, 20th Century Fox, it has been confirmed that the two studios have closed the deal and could likely make the acquisition announcement sometime next week.

According to a CNBC report, Disney and Fox have finalised Disney's purchase of numerous Fox assets, including 20th Century Fox movie studio. Which means Disney will officially own most of Marvel's cinematic characters namely the Avengers, X-Men and Deadpool, to name a few.

It was earlier reported that Disney was not the only studio Fox was in talks with regarding the acquisition. Bloomberg had recently reported that Fox was also in talks with Comcast, CNBC's parent company, but the studio was inclined to Disney.

"21st Century Fox Inc., the global film and TV company controlled by the Murdoch family, would prefer to sell some assets to Walt Disney Co. because it's a better strategic fit and presents fewer regulatory hurdles, people familiar with the matter said," Bloomberg reported.

The acquisition news comes as good news for superhero fans. Many Marvel fans had expressed their wish of watching the X-Men universe and the current Marvel Cinematic Universe come together for some amazing collaboration

It is said that Disney had the same wish as fans. According to Wall Street Journal, one of the factors driving Disney in the deal was to regain the film rights to all of the Marvel Comics character, including the X-Men and Fantastic Four.

However, Deadpool actor Ryan Reynolds might not be as happy as the fans. After news about the acquisition, the actor had expressed his concern over the R-rated content treatment if Deadpool comes under the Disney banner, which is inclined to PG-13.

He had tweeted in early November, "If this is true, I wonder how the fudge it would affect Deadpool?" We'll wait and see if Disney changes the hit formula adopted by the R-rated movie or let the cash roll in allowing Deadpool be as it is.

CNBC also reports that the estimated value of the deal is $60 billion. This doesn't include Fox's sports and news assets.

5 minutes ago, Ares said:

Looks like deal is done

If they have a fight scene between Wolverine and Hulk then this deal will be worth every single penny:whee:

***Haven't gotten a chance to read all the previous post so if nobody has brought this up yet then you should have your comic card revokedlol

8 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

If they have a fight scene between Wolverine and Hulk then this deal will be worth every single penny:whee:

***Haven't gotten a chance to read all the previous post so if nobody has brought this up yet then you should have your comic card revokedlol

I wonder if Hugh Jackman comes out of retirement for at least two pictures?

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
17 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I wonder if Hugh Jackman comes out of retirement for at least two pictures?

Then they can do the real Old Man Logan, with Old Man Hawkeye, Old Man Hulk and his incest family.

If I were Disney, I'd reboot everything except Deadpool with new cast.  Hell even Deadpool can reboot, just keep using Ryan Reynolds. And I would reboot SLOWLY with some smaller lead-in movies/shows rather than a big X-Men movie all at once.

Do a Cable in the future movie (with Captain America's shield!)

Do a Netflix TV show focused on one or two X-men, maybe Gambit? Maybe young Rogue leading up to her stealing Ms Marvel's powers?  Maybe Young Bishop in the future?  Maybe an Exiles TV show very similar to Sliders.

28 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I looked to make sure nothing noting a done deal was posted

8 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

To me, what's kind of confusing is they'll have a 60% ownership of hulu (their current 30% + fox's 30%) will they still develop their own platform?  or will they just change Hulu into Dislu?

The rumor I heard was that Hulu will stay as it is so they can air content that would be considered inappropriate to be under the Disney banner, meaning R movies and adult rated TV series.  It would also remain in place as a fallback if their own streaming service does not launch or go as planned.

Edited by drotto