• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYC Comic Art Expo Sunday May 6th 2018 Save The Date!
3 3

35 posts in this topic

We are excited to announce the New York City Comic Art Expo 2018. The Expo will take place on Sunday May 6th in Manhattan at the historic Hotel Pennsylvania.  Initial interest is strong, we've already sold over 30 tables in our early direct notice. Additional tables are available at a rate of $200 each. If you are interested in a table feel free to reach out to Zaddick Longenbach (senbach@hotmail.com) or Terry Holtz (terry@freshlybakedcollectibles.com).

Our hope is to put on a quality, friendly, multi generational regular gathering of original art collectors, dealers and artists in our own neighborhood of Manhattan. 

Future announcements including dealer and guest list to follow.

Zaddick and Terry

rrichards,

Question for you.

What is your point ??

Are there not multiple auction sites that sell the same things, comic book dealers ??

By your logic only one entity should sell each different item. Why not have options to choose from. Also, the guys running it are art lovers so give them a chance.............

On December 31, 2017 at 10:06 AM, jeffrey harnett said:

rrichards,

Question for you.

What is your point ??

Are there not multiple auction sites that sell the same things, comic book dealers ??

By your logic only one entity should sell each different item. Why not have options to choose from. Also, the guys running it are art lovers so give them a chance.............

On December 31, 2017 at 10:06 AM, jeffrey harnett said:

rrichards,

Question for you.

What is your point ??

What's your problem. I was just asking if it would be different ,(perhaps better) Nobody said anything about not giving them a chance ,I was just trying to get more info. I'm also happy that we have more options, that is my" logic".Take the chip off your shoulder.

RRichards,

No chip on my shoulder but thanks for your professional opinion on the matter.

Sorry I questioned your comment. I could see you responding back if I used poor language or something.

This is a site for conversations and feedback, is it not ??

Your original question " how is it different " seems like a moot point. Pretty much every convention, auction site and comic book dealer are very similar to one another. That is why I found your question more leaning to the negative side.

Sorry if it upset you but before you call someone out for a " chip on their shoulder " you should check yourself out first !!

Anyway, happy you responded and explained what you meant which is what this site is about.

Your Pal,

Jeff

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Will there still be one in NJ? When?

Joe and Dan's show is March 18th.  http://comicartshowcase.com/comic-art-con.html 

And to Mr. Harnett, the question is quite salient.  This kind of show is very different from a comic convention.  Here, the art world is very small.  The target audience of this show sounds like pretty much everyone who already attends Joe and Dan's show each year (and have been supporting it for years).  So the question is, why would I want to go to this show?  What is different/attractive about it?  Is it just going to be the same bunch of dealers and buyers that I will have seen 2 months prior, just this time in a nice hotel in NYC?  Whereas a comic show will have variety, be it different vendors, creators and signors, or even just inventory (as comic dealers change their inventory drastically depending on the show), a comic art show is much more static (only a handful of large dealers, not much changeover in pieces available, and the event is 5 days before Heritage Chicago, so many people will have money tied up/powder dry for the auction and not be looking to spend).

Hi jaybuck43,

Thanks for the response. Well taken.

Just a thought, most comic conventions are very similar with the same vendors, wrestlers, b movie stars and many of the same artists. I go to many shows even around the country and the guest list is very similar. I can think of Baltimore and Charlotte and to some extent Denver as the only True Comic Cons left to give them at least a distinction. 

I do agree that an Art Show is a much smaller event with a specific audience as you rightfully stated. My only thought is maybe their venue may offer some different artwork with a Manhattan address and possibly in house artists or guests. Possibly they see the other show and may make some actions to enhance the fan experience. We will find out I guess. 

Thanks for the feedback as well as I hope like all of you that it gives us another venue to attend if wanted.

Thanks,

Jeff

13 minutes ago, jeffrey harnett said:

Hi jaybuck43,

Thanks for the response. Well taken.

Just a thought, most comic conventions are very similar with the same vendors, wrestlers, b movie stars and many of the same artists. I go to many shows even around the country and the guest list is very similar. I can think of Baltimore and Charlotte and to some extent Denver as the only True Comic Cons left to give them at least a distinction. 

I do agree that an Art Show is a much smaller event with a specific audience as you rightfully stated. My only thought is maybe their venue may offer some different artwork with a Manhattan address and possibly in house artists or guests. Possibly they see the other show and may make some actions to enhance the fan experience. We will find out I guess. 

Thanks for the feedback as well as I hope like all of you that it gives us another venue to attend if wanted.

Thanks,

Jeff

Yes, but the pool of attendees is much larger because comic shows cast a much wider net.  You're bringing in people who are interested in comics, but you are also bringing in people who have no interest in comics but love a specific wrestler or B-movie star and want to meet and greet.  A person living on Long Island may be interested in seeing Ted DiBiase but won't travel to Morristown NJ or Atlantic City NJ for it (the homes of Garden State Comic Fest), but have no problem coming  to Manhattan for NYCBM.  Some shows have taken on a life of their own. NYCC and SDCC don't need comics at all.  They are just basically massive celebrations of pop culture.  

Art is much different than comics.  A comic dealer needs to make his nut.  So if they are at a show like NYCC, they are probably bringing a bunch of low cost books that turn a good profit (basically $1-$100 books that s/he paid $0.05-$50 for).  At a smaller show, where the table rate is really low, they may bring some of their "better" stuff, because there the sell rate is much lower to hit costs.  Art's not like that.  If Mike (romitaman), or Albert, or Will, or Bechara or Anthony are coming to a show, they are bringing their inventory.  If they make one sale, they've hit their nut.  If they don't, well it's a nice trip and maybe they got to trade some nice pieces with another dealer.  The change in address from NJ to NYC is not going to bring out deeper wallets, necessitating bringing bigger/cooler pieces.  If you see these guys at 5 shows a year, you will see 98% of the same stuff at each show.

I'm planning to attend this show.  This is much easier to get to for those of us who live in the New York area and prefer to take public transportation.  This is directly across the street from Penn Station and a very quick and easy trip for me from Long Island.

I want to be clear that I have absolutely nothing against the Comic Art Con that Joe and Dan run.  This is just much more convenient for me.  I guess we'll have to wait and see if there's enough demand to support two shows in the area.

As I mentioned earlier,I would like a little more info here and I think it would be a great time for Zaddick and Terry to chime in .

First of all who are they?I know Joe and Dan are serious collectors (and ,I think,lawyers also)and concerning the show will there be any new ideas for this that might set them apart from the Joe and Dan Shows other than location?

How much will admission be?Joe and Dan always kept it affordable or are they going to go the "Wizard World" route and charge $50 + just to walk in because they are in NYC.

How about an extended artist's Alley? Joe and Dan usually had one or two artists but why not several selling there work. Maybe artists that are not Comic artists but sell comic related fine art. 

COME ON ZADDICK AND TERRY ! GIVE US MORE INFO !!!!!

RRichards,

There you go again.

For someone who is Just " happy to have more options " you sound so Negative !!

First off Zaddick works with art in his career and Dan and Joe unlike you are aware of his stature in this hobby. I am surprised with your expertise in this field that you are not aware of these higher end players... Also, your impressed because you Think ( Joe and Dan ) that they may be lawyers ?? What does that mean ??

Dan and Joe do a Great job no question, but why not let others get involved and Not judge until you ACTUALLY try it out ??

Your already concerned that they may be going the " Wizard Route " without knowing Anything but Again being your negative slants.

You act like the show is tomorrow and you have no info. Give them a chance to lay things out as they have Plenty of time.

You really are a negative person who seems to have little knowledge of collectors in the field that you comment on as if your so involved and an expert yourself.

How you cannot see how you come off is really sad !! You seem to have too much time on your hands to throw out these comments that would make anyone trying to start something in our hobby feel like they have to defend themselves with your uninformed accusations before they even start!!

I do not see you doing anything like this for our hobby, but it must be nice to be an " Arm Chair Quarterback " expecting others to live up to Your expectations...........................

3 hours ago, jeffrey harnett said:

RRichards,

There you go again.

For someone who is Just " happy to have more options " you sound so Negative !!

First off Zaddick works with art in his career and Dan and Joe unlike you are aware of his stature in this hobby. I am surprised with your expertise in this field that you are not aware of these higher end players... Also, your impressed because you Think ( Joe and Dan ) that they may be lawyers ?? What does that mean ??

Dan and Joe do a Great job no question, but why not let others get involved and Not judge until you ACTUALLY try it out ??

Your already concerned that they may be going the " Wizard Route " without knowing Anything but Again being your negative slants.

You act like the show is tomorrow and you have no info. Give them a chance to lay things out as they have Plenty of time.

You really are a negative person who seems to have little knowledge of collectors in the field that you comment on as if your so involved and an expert yourself.

How you cannot see how you come off is really sad !! You seem to have too much time on your hands to throw out these comments that would make anyone trying to start something in our hobby feel like they have to defend themselves with your uninformed accusations before they even start!!

I do not see you doing anything like this for our hobby, but it must be nice to be an " Arm Chair Quarterback " expecting others to live up to Your expectations...........................

GEEZ ....AND I THOUGHT WE WERE  "PALS" :whatthe:

Our Expo is four months away and we will have a more detailed update soon. For now, the Expo is Sunday May 6th 10-5pm at the Hotel Pennsylvania, Gold Ballroom. Entry is $20/$10 for students. Were excited to put on a great show in our neighborhood devoted to original comic art.  

Limited tables available at $200, as of now we will host 50 tables with room for more, to date just under 40 are sold, and were lining up some exciting guests.

For those who may need a room here’s a discount link for the CAE:

https://gc.synxis.com/rez.aspx?Hotel=70677&Chain=19811&arrive=5/5/2018&depart=5/7/2018&adult=1&child=0&group=NYCOAR

Zaddick and Terry

On 1/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, jaybuck43 said:

Joe and Dan's show is March 18th.  http://comicartshowcase.com/comic-art-con.html 

And to Mr. Harnett, the question is quite salient.  This kind of show is very different from a comic convention.  Here, the art world is very small.  The target audience of this show sounds like pretty much everyone who already attends Joe and Dan's show each year (and have been supporting it for years).  So the question is, why would I want to go to this show?  What is different/attractive about it?  Is it just going to be the same bunch of dealers and buyers that I will have seen 2 months prior, just this time in a nice hotel in NYC?  Whereas a comic show will have variety, be it different vendors, creators and signors, or even just inventory (as comic dealers change their inventory drastically depending on the show), a comic art show is much more static (only a handful of large dealers, not much changeover in pieces available, and the event is 5 days before Heritage Chicago, so many people will have money tied up/powder dry for the auction and not be looking to spend).

NYC Comic Art Expo = NOT FRESH!

Will Freshly Baked be exhibiting images of consignment art pieces previously sold at the expo?

Not a fan of any promoter (Terry) that doesn't promote show on his own site freshlybakedcollectibles.com yet uses search terms as click bait to promote show on CAF.

See you all at  http://comicartshowcase.com/comic-art-con.html  attending for over 10 years

To those attending NYC Comic art expo I hope the show is worth the trip.