• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG, shipping charges...
2 2

87 posts in this topic

Hey folks. Just venting a bit here, and at the same asking opinions.

I decided to go after a book recently at a public auction, and I won the thing. So I'm all set to pay for the thing, and have it shipped, mildly annoyed at the high commission fee anyway.

Then I see their shipping charge.

for ONE book, mind you.  And I had just left the Post Office after sending a book through to CGC, so I'm real fresh on rates for insurance, registered delivery, priority etc.

What would you think is egregious, and completely unacceptable, for 1 book?

$50 ?  $110 ?

How about $249 ?  That really pissed me off, to the point that I called them and asked what gives, and what does that price entail? They wouldn't even really answer my questions, but told me to contact their shipping department directly. One Voicemail, one email, and 1 day later...not a word back.   >:[

So, what do y'all think?

Depends on the book too.  If you buy a several thousand dollar book and have it insured it'll cost you.  If you have collectors insurance you should be able to call them and tell them its already insured.  I've also seen this if its being shipped from US to Europe via FedEx or UPS.  Thats actually not uncommon.  Especially if its a pricey book.

Some people manipulate BIN prices on eBay so the number looks small, then they jack up the shipping price to compensate. After having shipped many books in slabs, I can tell you a 1095 box with one slab will cost between roughly $7 to $12 to ship depending on the final location.

2 minutes ago, Ares said:

This can be reported to eBay right?

I don't think this was eBay as the seller said he was unhappy with the high commission fee.

I am not aware of eBay charging the buyer a commission.

It would be great if the OP could let us know what auction site and provide more details.

Agreed, not enough information to make a decision here. Depending on the value of the book, $249 could be a bargain once registered mail and insurance are factored in.

48 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

Agreed, not enough information to make a decision here. Depending on the value of the book, $249 could be a bargain once registered mail and insurance are factored in.

Even with insurance, I still don't see how you can get to $249 for a single book unless it's being mailed overnight within the US or mailed Express internationally.

USPS insurance maxes out at $25k - and CGC's USPS registered & insured shipping option is no more than $67 for a single $25k book shipped that way.

31 minutes ago, mschmidt said:

Even with insurance, I still don't see how you can get to $249 for a single book unless it's being mailed overnight within the US or mailed Express internationally.

USPS insurance maxes out at $25k - and CGC's USPS registered & insured shipping option is no more than $67 for a single $25k book shipped that way.

I'm assuming international at this cost, but could be wrong!

A little more info from me, and just added by the auction house.   It is 1  book, well into 4 figures.  Looking real quick at a CGC receipt, they'd charge $46 for USPS registered mail, for insurance.

The venue has just told me that insurance alone will be more than $100, and that packing, priority, signature etc is the rest.

And NO, this is NOT international, by any means. Frankly, I'm annoyed enough that I've considered hopping in the car and picking it up in person.

4 minutes ago, Sackolantern said:

A little more info from me, and just added by the auction house.   It is 1  book, well into 4 figures.  Looking real quick at a CGC receipt, they'd charge $46 for USPS registered mail, for insurance.

The venue has just told me that insurance alone will be more than $100, and that packing, priority, signature etc is the rest.

And NO, this is NOT international, by any means. Frankly, I'm annoyed enough that I've considered hopping in the car and picking it up in person.

Which auction house?

6 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

Sounds crazy,  Don't keep us in suspense, please name the auction house.