• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OMG, shipping charges...
2 2

87 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2017 at 7:54 AM, drotto said:

Some people manipulate BIN prices on eBay so the number looks small, then they jack up the shipping price to compensate. After having shipped many books in slabs, I can tell you a 1095 box with one slab will cost between roughly $7 to $12 to ship depending on the final location.

This guy almost nailed it.  They used a 1097 box, not a 1095 oh so close.
Yes $100 is standard free insurance on priority, so it sounds like they DID NOT EVEN INSURE IT beyond what was free.
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box---1097-P_O_1097
If you paid with a credit card you may want to call them and see about a partial chargeback.

5 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

So, what we have is 2 pieces of cardboard sandwiching the book.  The book has a board on both the front and back in a bag, for protection. Wrapped by cling wrap stuff...then a single layer of bubble wrap - especially like how it really didn't protect 1 edge, but was folded over back towards the middle...and wrapped with more cling wrap. Then shoved into a priority mail box.

No other protection.

And hold onto that thought. No other protection. Because I asked Delaware Fine Arts Auction to make sure send with cardboard on front and back, for protection, and to send insured, registered and requiring a signature. They assured me that yes, for that price, the book would be protected accordingly. As I knew and everyone else here has said, 200 was exhorbitant. I figured that they would hold up their end. And I feel they did not.

Especially as I asked the USPS people - how much did this cost, it looks like a regular Priority Box. They advised yes...looks like it was shipped with stamps.com, so they got a bit of a discount, and advised the shipping and signature (extra charge!)...cost less than 10 dollars. And I said I believe that... but there must be some insurance charge I'm missing, right? So I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with USPS this afternoon verifying the package, coverage etc. and the local store was indeed off. The people advised over the phone that the shipping, signature and insurance was less than 9 dollars. They shipped this to me with $100 of insurance.

Unless they have private insurance coverage, which is possible, they shorted your insurance by almost Seven Thousand Bucks then? Not sure if the Buyer's Premium was added on top of that top bid or included. 

I'd file a complaint with your CC company if nothing else, or at least threaten a charge back. 

Then yelp them.

But when you're done yelping them, you should check out the reviews for the authenticator of that signature. 

https://www.yelp.com/biz/james-spence-authentication-jsa-parsippany

2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:54 AM, drotto said:

Some people manipulate BIN prices on eBay so the number looks small, then they jack up the shipping price to compensate. After having shipped many books in slabs, I can tell you a 1095 box with one slab will cost between roughly $7 to $12 to ship depending on the final location.

This guy almost nailed it.  They used a 1097 box, not a 1095 oh so close.
Yes $100 is standard free insurance on priority, so it sounds like they DID NOT EVEN INSURE IT beyond what was free.
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-box---1097-P_O_1097
If you paid with a credit card you may want to call them and see about a partial chargeback.

I thought standard free priority insurance was capped at $50?

When I ship high value items via USPS I insure the items with insurepost.  The rates are cheaper and you there is nothing on a box that would indicate insurance was  purchased.  I have never had a claim with them so I don't know how well they handle them

34 minutes ago, Ottobord said:

When I ship high value items via USPS I insure the items with insurepost.  The rates are cheaper and you there is nothing on a box that would indicate insurance was  purchased.  I have never had a claim with them so I don't know how well they handle them

USPS is pretty easy to work with on claims. I've never had a problem. Funny part is you never know what happens until a check shows up in the mail.

1 hour ago, Ottobord said:

they've changed, USPS was at one time very tough with claims, the past several years I've had no issues

I was going to say, I have never been successful with a USPS insurance claim, so I stopped using them.

20 hours ago, Sackolantern said:

So, what we have is 2 pieces of cardboard sandwiching the book.  The book has a board on both the front and back in a bag, for protection. Wrapped by cling wrap stuff...then a single layer of bubble wrap - especially like how it really didn't protect 1 edge, but was folded over back towards the middle...and wrapped with more cling wrap. Then shoved into a priority mail box.

No other protection.

And hold onto that thought. No other protection. Because I asked Delaware Fine Arts Auction to make sure send with cardboard on front and back, for protection, and to send insured, registered and requiring a signature. They assured me that yes, for that price, the book would be protected accordingly. As I knew and everyone else here has said, 200 was exhorbitant. I figured that they would hold up their end. And I feel they did not.

Especially as I asked the USPS people - how much did this cost, it looks like a regular Priority Box. They advised yes...looks like it was shipped with stamps.com, so they got a bit of a discount, and advised the shipping and signature (extra charge!)...cost less than 10 dollars. And I said I believe that... but there must be some insurance charge I'm missing, right? So I spent about 30 minutes on the phone with USPS this afternoon verifying the package, coverage etc. and the local store was indeed off. The people advised over the phone that the shipping, signature and insurance was less than 9 dollars. They shipped this to me with $100 of insurance.

If you can get that in writing, you can file a claim with your credit card company.

3 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Wow! "Verification" sticker right on the cover?!? doh!

JSA Yelp review from 5/31/2017:

"If I could give this company 0 stars or negative stars I would. A few years back I attended an in person signing of a number of Cardinals hall of famers. I had Bob Gibson sign a rookie card in good condition. JSA had on site verification of the item. I paid the fee thinking they would put the card in a case. Instead the employee pulls out a sticker and immediately puts it on the back of the card. DIRECTLY ON THE CARD. I was flabbergasted. I have been stewing over this to this day. They ruined a signed rookie card. In what world is putting one of their stickers on a card going to preserve or increase its value. The guys at the show just didn't give a mess. They were collecting their fees and just shuffling people through. If he for a second had indicated what he was going to do I would have stopped him. Perhaps that is par for the course in on site authentication, but they basically ruined a $400+ dollar card. Never to business with these crooks."

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

JSA Yelp review from 5/31/2017:

"If I could give this company 0 stars or negative stars I would. A few years back I attended an in person signing of a number of Cardinals hall of famers. I had Bob Gibson sign a rookie card in good condition. JSA had on site verification of the item. I paid the fee thinking they would put the card in a case. Instead the employee pulls out a sticker and immediately puts it on the back of the card. DIRECTLY ON THE CARD. I was flabbergasted. I have been stewing over this to this day. They ruined a signed rookie card. In what world is putting one of their stickers on a card going to preserve or increase its value. The guys at the show just didn't give a mess. They were collecting their fees and just shuffling people through. If he for a second had indicated what he was going to do I would have stopped him. Perhaps that is par for the course in on site authentication, but they basically ruined a $400+ dollar card. Never to business with these crooks."

that's brutal.  I guess we should appreciate the CGC sig series way of doing things all the more

Believe it or not....:$

I have comics with tamper proof stickers authenticating Neal Adams signature lol

I repeatedly asked him where is cgc and I'd have them witnessed. Since there was no one in line but me and it was a small con I figured he'd oblige. He did, he said they're down the hall. lolso I go down the hall and it leads to the entrance to the con. I smirk and say good one Neal, I'll remember that. So I go back he is signing my book and I told him that I looked down the hall.... I wait for a second and he's on my last book and I ask, seriously is there any way to get these authenticated. He proceeds to mutter and point out that I have eyes, and then his assistant tells me about the stickers for $10. 

Anyway that's me story, hope you had a good laugh. :roflmao:

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:35 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Believe it or not....:$

I have comics with tamper proof stickers authenticating Neal Adams signature lol

I repeatedly asked him where is cgc and I'd have them witnessed. Since there was no one in line but me and it was a small con I figured he'd oblige. He did, he said they're down the hall. lolso I go down the hall and it leads to the entrance to the con. I smirk and say good one Neal, I'll remember that. So I go back he is signing my book and I told him that I looked down the hall.... I wait for a second and he's on my last book and I ask, seriously is there any way to get these authenticated. He proceeds to mutter and point out that I have eyes, and then his assistant tells me about the stickers for $10. 

Anyway that's me story, hope you had a good laugh. :roflmao:

Neal "effin" Adams !!  lol