• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bendis leaves Marvel for DC

17 posts in this topic

I can't speak for everyone but Ultimate Spider-Man used to be one the books I would read 1st every month. Lately it has fallen off and it's barely readable. Bendis moving off of this title may be a good thing. Same for Ironheart/Riri Williams.

I don't know why this is such a big deal.  He's a decent/good writer.  But what is the major loss?

- He was a big part of Marvel's diversity initiative failure (completely didn't understand what comic fans wanted)

- His books weren't shattering records

- He had little influence on the MCU (which is doing fine without him)

- He's been with the company too long

In contrast, when Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane left Marvel that was a seismic shift.  That was star power.  People don't pack comic cons to see Bendis. 

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Edit for reason

1 hour ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

I don't know why this is such a big deal.  He's a decent/good writer.  But what is the major loss?

- He was a big part of Marvel's diversity initiative failure (completely didn't understand what comic fans wanted)

- His books weren't shattering records

- He had little influence on the MCU (which is doing fine without him)

- He's been with the company too long

In contrast, when Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane left Marvel that was a seismic shift.  That was star power.  People don't pack comic cons to see Bendis. 

You're comparing a writer to an artist. Obviously the visual is pretty big with comics, but writing is as well.

Bendis is proven in the industry. He has had as many stories make it to TV as anybody in Modern comics (also has a movie credit). That does hold some weight.

26 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You're comparing a writer to an artist. Obviously the visual is pretty big with comics, but writing is as well.

Bendis is proven in the industry. He has had as many stories make it to TV as anybody in Modern comics (also has a movie credit). That does hold some weight.

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you.  But it isn't a situation where Marvel (comics) is at the peak of the industry.  Right now it is struggling (like everyone else).  When you're struggling changes need to be made.

I just think the news/reactions/videos/etc. made it seem like it was an industry changing move.  On a scale of 1 to 10...it's maybe a 6 (maybe).

This isn't Stan Lee jumping to DClol.

Just now, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Don't get me wrong...I agree with you.  But it isn't a situation where Marvel (comics) is at the peak of the industry.  Right now it is struggling (like everyone else).  When you're struggling changes need to be made.

I just think the news/reactions/videos/etc. made it seem like it was an industry changing move.  On a scale of 1 to 10...it's maybe a 6 (maybe).

This isn't Stan Lee jumping to DClol.

No, but to your previous analogy about Jim Lee and McFarlane leaving, I think if Hickman leaves it would have a similar effect on Marvel.

Early Ultimate Spider-man, Powers, Alias, Daredevil, and....? His best work is behind him, this is a long overdue move. The new environment and new possibilities should be a real motivator. Even after his heights, he always remained a pretty consistent writer, so I don't doubt his abilities or talent at the craft, I think he likely just lost the excitement after becoming so entwined with the business side of creating Marvel comics.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 3:54 PM, SquareChaos said:

Early Ultimate Spider-man, Powers, Alias, Daredevil, and....? His best work is behind him, this is a long overdue move. The new environment and new possibilities should be a real motivator. Even after his heights, he always remained a pretty consistent writer, so I don't doubt his abilities or talent at the craft, I think he likely just lost the excitement after becoming so entwined with the business side of creating Marvel comics.

Yup.  Guys get stale, as previous posters have said.  There's only so many ways a guy can apply his particular worldview and writing style to a particular set of characters, especially this type, where the characters are usually frozen in time.

I'm happy to see Bendis take a run at DC.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:49 PM, ygogolak said:

Agreed and when he was doing Ultimate Spiderman that was one of the biggest books going, it was outselling Amazing Spiderman, the flagship title for most of its run. Also remember, he starting using characters that were not used well for most of the 90's, ie Luke Cage, Iron Fist, etc. I though I remember reading quotes from him in the past that he had no desire to work for DC or any interest in their characters. I wonder what changed his mind.