• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Q: Pressing ASM 238 & "tattooz"

14 posts in this topic

I've got a ASM 238 (First Hobgoblin) with tattooz in a first gen cgc slab in a 9.2.  I know it was never pressed.  I think I could get a good bump by cracking and pressing.

Does anyone have any experience w/ pressing and the tattooz?  My know that pressing involves the application of a fair amount heat to a book - the same thing I would think could mess w/ the tattooz insert.

Any insight is appreciated.

1 hour ago, ALM3 said:

I've got a ASM 238 (First Hobgoblin) with tattooz in a first gen cgc slab in a 9.2.  I know it was never pressed.  I think I could get a good bump by cracking and pressing.

Does anyone have any experience w/ pressing and the tattooz?  My know that pressing involves the application of a fair amount heat to a book - the same thing I would think could mess w/ the tattooz insert.

The pressers here are pretty tight lipped about technique, best to look elsewhere for help.   

7 hours ago, ALM3 said:

If the person doing the pressing knows what they are doing, it is not an issue. I cannot tell you how many Emails and PM's I get from DIY pressers who mess this book up and ask if there is a fix.

30 minutes ago, joeypost said:

If the person doing the pressing knows what they are doing, it is not an issue. I cannot tell you how many Emails and PM's I get from DIY pressers who mess this book up and ask if there is a fix.

At least I feel better knowing my intuition to be concerned was correct.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, WoWitHurts said:

Mysteries of the universe.

5.Who really shot JFK

4.Who built the Sphinx

3.Where is Jimmy Hoffa buried

2.Is there a supreme deity

1.How are comic books pressed

I know the answer to 3 of those. 

On 11/8/2017 at 1:23 PM, joeypost said:

Haha Just tell them, "Yes, there is a fix and Ill fix it for you if pay my price :) 

Good question. I press as a hobby on my own books and have never damaged one yet but I never thought about what would happen with the tattooz insert. I don't know if I want to experiment on my copy but if I come across a dup I'll give it a try and report back.

On 12/17/2017 at 11:39 PM, serling1978 said:

Good question. I press as a hobby on my own books and have never damaged one yet but I never thought about what would happen with the tattooz insert. I don't know if I want to experiment on my copy but if I come across a dup I'll give it a try and report back.

Just curious, since you’ve stated that you’ve never damaged a book that you’ve ever pressed, how many have you down graded since that remark?

The only insight you are likely to get is that comic books with inserts like the tattooz stickers or trading cards can be safely and effectively pressed. If the pressing service knows how to do it properly.  You are correct in assuming that inserts in a comic book are a potential problem for amateur and do it yourself pressing.  

BTW, the challenges with pressing a book with a tattooz sticker shouldn't include the heat.  If it is, the person pressing is using way too much heat and shouldn't be pressing any comic books. 

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, Junkdrawer said:

Just curious, since you’ve stated that you’ve never damaged a book that you’ve ever pressed, how many have you down graded since that remark?

Wait a second here..... Is that comic pressing smack talk?  Never thought i would see the nerd equivalent of "Bro, do you even lift?" 

To seriously respond...I get why it's easy to just assume some random guy on a messageboard must be burning up and ruining comics in his pitiful attempt to be a glorified come pressing superstar. I will say that I am extremely careful and before even attempting to press any comic I spoke with a lot of resources/contacts who all had a long history of pressing experience.  I learned of what to do, what not do to, what to look out for, mistakes they had made, etc.   I didn't want to destroy comics or waste my time, so I was lucky enough to find some very generous pressers who were kind enough to share their knowledge with a fellow collector. And I'm very grateful for that.

1 hour ago, serling1978 said:

Wait a second here..... Is that comic pressing smack talk?  Never thought i would see the nerd equivalent of "Bro, do you even lift?" 

To seriously respond...I get why it's easy to just assume some random guy on a messageboard must be burning up and ruining comics in his pitiful attempt to be a glorified come pressing superstar. I will say that I am extremely careful and before even attempting to press any comic I spoke with a lot of resources/contacts who all had a long history of pressing experience.  I learned of what to do, what not do to, what to look out for, mistakes they had made, etc.   I didn't want to destroy comics or waste my time, so I was lucky enough to find some very generous pressers who were kind enough to share their knowledge with a fellow collector. And I'm very grateful for that.

So you have never contributed to existing damage? You’ve 100% every time and every book managed to bat A thousand. I’m guessing you’re  challenged with admitting fault or you are the pressing god. I’ve been pressing for over 5 years and press at least 500 books per year. I can’t say that I am with out a boo boo here and there, shot happens and nobody’s perfect, except you. Congrats. I was just figuring whilst running your mouth, your foot could have possibly slipped in after, you know a reality check. It will come but we’ll never know.

Edited by Junkdrawer

1 hour ago, Junkdrawer said:

So you have never contributed to existing damage? You’ve 100% every time and every book managed to bat A thousand. I’m guessing you’re  challenged with admitting fault or you are the pressing god. I’ve been pressing for over 5 years and press at least 500 books per year. I can’t say that I am with out a boo boo here and there, shot happens and nobody’s perfect, except you. Congrats. I was just figuring whilst running your mouth, your foot could have possibly slipped in after, you know a reality check. It will come but we’ll never know.

I certainly never meant to indicate I'm perfect, that I bat 1000, or that I am a pressing God.  Maybe only a pressing demi-God.  Just kidding. I have had things go wrong here and there of course.  Looking back at my original post in this thread I see I didn't use the best word choice in saying I've never "damaged" any comic.  I was more thinking along the lines of really bad things like popping the staples, totally warping the cover, ruining the inks/gloss, smashing a square bound spine, etc. Of course I've had things happen like some wrinkles showing up in the cover, or other minor issues that sucked and were a learning lesson.  My initial comment was only a quick reply with the intention of saying I've never had anything disastrous happen like a ruined comic.  Most issues I've run into have been issues that could be addressed with another pressing.  Of course that isn't to say I haven't potentially lowered the grade on a book via pressing either. I've never unslabbed a book, pressed it, and had it re-graded.  Which is why I would never claim to be a pro or try to get someone to pay me to press their books.  Like I said, it's a hobby to me that I enjoyed learning about and I like to do with my own books.  I'm not trying to get into a contest or a press-off on the peak of a mountain or anything.  I'm sure you're very skilled at what you do and I respect that.