• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captcha? Is this something new here?
1 1

51 posts in this topic

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Marwood & I said:

Great question @skypinkblu, but you should have asked it in the questions section, not comics general. At least that's what Arch keeps telling me. 

But wait, I see that Arch has answered your question. But he hasn't answered any of the questions in the questions section? 

How peculiar... hm

I answered it because when we make a change that could possibly block people from using the boards, we treat that as higher priority and of general interest. Similar to how, when we migrated to the new boards software we allow commentary anywhere and everywhere, and tried to monitor and respond to issues however we could.

Less urgent issues, even if repeatedly pushed by a single user, don't merit the same treatment.

For example, these issues have different priority:

1. A security change we made that could be preventing users from accessing the boards at all, or repeatedly challenging large numbers of users with captcha
  2. A single user asking for a higher limit on daily likes for a second time after the total was previously raised in response to the same request

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Why won't you let me like this post?  Are you afraid?

I turned off likes for admin because someone made a shill and was just liking everything I posted as some kind of reverse psychology sarcasm trolling. It didn't seem worth the hassle, so I just turned off admin likes.

36 minutes ago, Architecht said:

I turned off likes for admin because someone made a shill and was just liking everything I posted as some kind of reverse psychology sarcasm trolling. It didn't seem worth the hassle, so I just turned off admin likes.

So you are afraid.  Doesn't it feel good to get that off your chest?

• Administrator
Just now, Transplant said:

Phew. It sure does. The trophy thing especially scares me. I have this recurrent dream of a giant trophy falling on me. Is that weird?

5 minutes ago, Architecht said:
7 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Phew. It sure does. The trophy thing especially scares me. I have this recurrent dream of a giant trophy falling on me. Is that weird?

The new boards won't let you put stuff above.  Your trophy will be coming from beneath the waves.  Thanks

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

Watch out, there is now a giant trophy in the post above your head...it's tilting...... but just a little;) 

5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The new boards won't let you put stuff above.  Your trophy will be coming from beneath the waves.  Thanks

:whatthe:

:jaws:

16 minutes ago, Architecht said:
18 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Freud might argue that is not a trophy.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

react_like.png.5ec27e62293bfd017e082bba8eaf61e3.png

18 minutes ago, Architecht said:
30 minutes ago, Transplant said:

Maybe I'm just afraid that too many accolades would make me lazy.

Sometimes a trophy is just atrophy.

Haha Now we're left to wonder if that was intentional or not! Haha

40 minutes ago, Transplant said:

jimmers has the perfect photo to respond to this.

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

I answered it because when we make a change that could possibly block people from using the boards, we treat that as higher priority and of general interest. Similar to how, when we migrated to the new boards software we allow commentary anywhere and everywhere, and tried to monitor and respond to issues however we could.

Less urgent issues, even if repeatedly pushed by a single user, don't merit the same treatment.

For example, these issues have different priority:

1. A security change we made that could be preventing users from accessing the boards at all, or repeatedly challenging large numbers of users with captcha
  2. A single user asking for a higher limit on daily likes for a second time after the total was previously raised in response to the same request

That's a shocking response Arch, if you don't mind me saying. How does this fit with your aspiration to 'do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice'?

In your response above you attempt to belittle me by comparing my request for more likes to your security access activity. But you fail to point out here that you drew that request for more likes from a summary post with 7 other questions and suggestions in it - questions and suggestions targeted at making the boards a better place.

For completeness, here is that post: 

In a similar vein, you then proceed to give responses to my other suggestions and questions in a brief, hurried manner which gives me at least the impression that you do not care about the very boards you are paid to run. Here are your responses:

44 minutes ago, Architecht said:

Response to some of the quick issues to address:

1. Likes - probably not going to increase this substantially, but if a modest number of people all still want more likes, I could see raising the ceiling a bit
  2. Gallery visibility - I added a sidebar for recent gallery additions
  3. Window for invisible edits - no way to do this. We can either allow ALL edits to be invisible (which I don't like), or none. We have no setting to allow invisible edits for X minutes or anything like this. Given the two choices, I prefer visible edits so people can tell if original post content was altered after people responded.
  4. Ask CGC - not handled by moderation - no opinion
  5. Old journal migration - not sure of the status on this one.
  6. Ignoring specific threads - no facility on the boards for this one. There might be a plugin out there for this, but I don't think I'm in favor of people narrowing their exposure to topics the community is responding to. I think if you are ignoring the original poster, though, then that thread is not see.
  7. Search drop down changes - Probably would have to be re-tested as a few minor boards versions have been released, and I know they keep messing with search. I haven't looked at this. Generally, we've been considering replacing the main search with a plugin that uses google instead. Mainly because the boards software's search facility is problematic in a number of way - not least that it's limited to a 4 year index and even that performs poorly. As a result, we're not investing much attention in it.

Just picking out a few of your comments. You say you are 'not sure of the status' of the journals migration, and ignore my concern that the situation may be putting people off participating. If you don't know, who does? Have I fundamentally misunderstood your role here? If you valued my input you would at least have said '...but I'll find out' if you took the matter seriously. 

"They keep messing with the search / I haven't looked at this / we're not investing much attention to it" - @fantastic_four is one of the most technically intelligent chaps on these boards and he didn't spot that the search bar is intermittently set to 'status updates'.  All of your language in your answer implies that you are a bystander and that you don't care. I've pointed out a flaw in the search function and you don't care.

"No opinion" How rude!  What would be so wrong with "not my area you'll understand, but I can see why you'd be irked, sorry" Do you not possess the ability to respond kindly, or with flair?

Arch, I think you paint me out to be the villain, because that suits your purpose. I put it to you that you are the villain here. You don't appear to care! Some weeks back a whole host of members - long established and new - were bemoaning the fact that the boards were slow and that one morning they were down for half a day. Your sole contribution to the boards that day was to 'like' two posts in the 'Your personal artwork' thread. Is that the action of an administrator who cares and wants to calm his flock?

My last point is that my questions and suggestions were good humoured, cloaked in horse play and full of humour and self deprecation. But at their heart beat a desire for the boards to be the best they can be. I wish you would display the same passion once in a while.

Now, you can either ignore this which will be the easy route, ban me for insubordination, or come back and for once - just one time - show a measure of self reflection and humility and a willingness to do better. Unless that is, you genuinely believe that everything I have said here is rubbish.

Since Arch won't answer with flair, I will:

7 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

That's a shocking response Arch, if you don't mind me saying. How does this fit with your aspiration to 'do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice'?

In your response above you attempt to belittle me by comparing my request for more likes to your security access activity. But you fail to point out here that you drew that request for more likes from a summary post with 7 other questions and suggestions in it - questions and suggestions targeted at making the boards a better place.

For completeness, here is that post: 

In a similar vein, you then proceed to give responses to my other suggestions and questions in a brief, hurried manner which gives me at least the impression that you do not care about the very boards you are paid to run. Here are your responses:

Just picking out a few of your comments. You say you are 'not sure of the status' of the journals migration, and ignore my concern that the situation may be putting people off participating. If you don't know, who does? Have I fundamentally misunderstood your role here? If you valued my input you would at least have said '...but I'll find out' if you took the matter seriously. 

"They keep messing with the search / I haven't looked at this / we're not investing much attention to it" - @fantastic_four is one of the most technically intelligent chaps on these boards and he didn't spot that the search bar is intermittently set to 'status updates'.  All of your language in your answer implies that you are a bystander and that you don't care. I've pointed out a flaw in the search function and you don't care.

"No opinion" How rude!  What would be so wrong with "not my area you'll understand, but I can see why you'd be irked, sorry" Do you not possess the ability to respond kindly, or with flair?

Arch, I think you paint me out to be the villain, because that suits your purpose. I put it to you that you are the villain here. You don't appear to care! Some weeks back a whole host of members - long established and new - were bemoaning the fact that the boards were slow and that one morning they were down for half a day. Your sole contribution to the boards that day was to 'like' two posts in the 'Your personal artwork' thread. Is that the action of an administrator who cares and wants to calm his flock?

My last point is that my questions and suggestions were good humoured, cloaked in horse play and full of humour and self deprecation. But at their heart beat a desire for the boards to be the best they can be. I wish you would display the same passion once in a while.

Now, you can either ignore this which will be the easy route, ban me for insubordination, or come back and for once - just one time - show a measure of self reflection and humility and a willingness to do better. Unless that is, you genuinely believe that everything I have said here is rubbish.

I, unlike Arch, do answer with flair:

1z5rx4.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

1 minute ago, seanfingh said:

Since Arch won't answer with flair, I will:

I, unlike Arch, do answer with flair:

1z5rx4.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator

Very funny. Well done. Now, if you could only manage to post a meme without the words 'via Imgflip Meme Generator' next to it, we'd be in business :baiting:

Why shouldn't they get their accreditation?  I've never understood why anyone would take that off. It's their meme site.   

In fact, maybe a little bit of humility and self-reflection should be applied to that situation as well.

Edited by seanfingh
humility and self-reflection demanded an edit