• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MEGACON Orlando May 24-27, 2018
1 1

130 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2018 at 1:41 PM, Ladic said:

Hello, I will be attending the Con and want to get my comics graded, I have never had a comic graded before.

The comics I will probably want to get graded are:

Amazing SM 298

Amazing SM 299

Amazing SM 300

I also have FF 49 (Galactus) but it is pretty rough shape, even parts of the cover are missing, is this worth getting graded?

What are some tips and must know things before taking my comics in? I don't need same day grading, but I suppose it saves me the hassle of shipping the books.

They do not offer on-site grading at this convention. You will drop them off with them and they will ship to you when graded.

Most of the other info. you need is on the site.

https://www.cgccomics.com/services/index.aspx

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 1:56 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

It's been finalized. I'll ask when it will be posted online.

Kevin,

Did you happen to find out when they will post layout of floor plan?

On 5/18/2018 at 1:56 PM, Kevin Boyd said:

It's been finalized. I'll ask when it will be posted online.

@Kevin Boyd I'm going to chime in with @1p36DSA here.  Your event starts in two days and the floor plan still isn't posted on your website.  It'd be nice to know where to find people.  Thanks.

We will be set up at booth 102 

Bringing a new modern collection, and a new high grade bronze collection plus 22 long boxes of dollar books and tons of nice wall books and slabs.

If you haven't bought from us before, come check us out, you won't be disappointed.

Ask for Sean

I have been going to this show for over ten years. Two years ago I swore it would be my last time attending, but against my better judgement I went yesterday anyway. 

Aside from seeing Dale, Jamie, Angry John, Greg, George and a few other dealers and board members it was a logistical nightmare getting into the show (and this was on Thursday which is the slower of the 4 days). 

Circled around for 30 minutes trying to find a spot near the West Concourse. All the lots were closed, even though you could clearly see dozens of available spots from the main road. 

Finally had to stop and ask (as there were no signs indicating you had to head over to the North/South concourses) and found out where one could park. This required waiting for a shuttle that took about 40 minutes to get you to the door because of traffic in front of the West Concourse or a 25 minutes walk. I decided to walk. From start to finish took about an hour and a half to get into the show once arriving. With the exception of putting up signs that have more information about available parking there is little the promoters can do about Orlando traffic and parking, so I am now 100% certain I will not make the trip again, even though it is in my back yard.  

Hope all the attendees and dealers have a good show. 

Edited by joeypost
Typos

6 hours ago, joeypost said:

I have been going tot his show for over ten years. Two years ago I swore it would be my last time attending, but against my better judgement I went yesterday anyway. 

Aside from seeing Dale,Jamie, Greg, George and a few other dealers and board members it was a logistical nightmare getting into the show (and this was on Thursday which is the slower of the 4 days). 

Circled around for 30 minutes trying to find a spot near the West Concourse. All the lots were closed, even though you could clearly see dozens of available spots from the main road. 

Finally had to stop and ask (as there were no signs indicating you had to head over tot he North/South concourses) and found out where one could park. This required waiting for a shuttle that took about 40 minutes to get you to the door because of traffic in front of the West Concourse or a 25 minutes walk. I decided to walk. From start to finish took about an hour and a half to get into the show once arriving. With the exception of putting up signs that have more information about available parking there is little the promoters can do about Orlando traffic and parking so I am now 100% certain I will make the trip again, even though it is in my back yard.  

Hope all the attendees and dealers have a good show. 

Where will you go next year?  Comicpolooza sounds like a nice show.  Strange how all the Cons were in the mid west last week and this week it seems like everything is down south.

35 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Where will you go next year?  Comicpolooza sounds like a nice show.  Strange how all the Cons were in the mid west last week and this week it seems like everything is down south.

I might just stay home.  Charlotte is in a few weeks and after that the only two shows I will travel for are WWC and Baltimore. 

1 minute ago, joeypost said:

I might just stay home.  Charlotte is in a few weeks and after that the only two shows I will travel for are WWC and Baltimore. 

You do well enough at Motor City to have it on the list for next year.  Definetely a ton of books but not sure if you got enough of the books you are looking for.

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

You do well enough at Motor City to have it on the list for next year.  Definetely a ton of books but not sure if you got enough of the books you are looking for.

I did OK. Have to see the grade to do determine how OK in a few months when the books are done. 

I feel you.  I was on the fence but just dont feel like dealing with all of that to be able to go spend money.  I just go to buy books  Is there a lot of comic dealers this year or did that shrink again to allow for more trinkets/tatoos/etc?

6 hours ago, AllStar-Comics said:

I feel you.  I was on the fence but just dont feel like dealing with all of that to be able to go spend money.  I just go to buy books  Is there a lot of comic dealers this year or did that shrink again to allow for more trinkets/tatoos/etc?

I've been going since 2002, and I think this one ranks as one of the sparest for comics, at least as a percentage of total material in the room.  Don't get me wrong, there are some damn good dealers in the room (Graham Crackers, Highgradecomics, Dale Roberts, David Kapelka, etc.) and it's probably worth the price of admission just to see all their inventory, but the total number of comic dealers seems down, with far fewer smaller and mid size dealers in the room.  It's still the best comic show in Florida, even if it ranks behind other shows I go to, like Heroes, WW Chicago, or Baltimore.

Larger Cons are becoming less appealing.  I am staying home from this one (I live 1 1/2 hours away).  I attended the last 3 out of 4, and the price point to get in vs. the hassle vs. the dwindling comic selection is just too much. 

2 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Larger Cons are becoming less appealing.  I am staying home from this one (I live 1 1/2 hours away).  I attended the last 3 out of 4, and the price point to get in vs. the hassle vs. the dwindling comic selection is just too much. 

Parking was atrocious but the con was nice, I always love meeting the artists and seeing the different cosplayers

Saturday was my 1st day at the con.  I am from South Florida ans this con had several national dealers that do not go to the cons in Miami and Ft Lauderdale.  I had a great time and bought some nice books from Reeces Rare Comics and High Grade Comics.

Thanks for the nice books guys!

There were quite a few smaller dealers as well and it was fun to be there for the day!

This was my first and I am rather certain my last year attending this convention.  If you like cosplay then this place was full of it.  If you like comics, then you might be disappointed: I was.   

There were a few GA dealers, but not many.   Greg Reese (great guy), Dale Roberts, Harley Yee, and Graham Crackers were there.  Also Tales to Astonish.   Overall, however, the selection was very limited. 

Baltimore is IMO a far better show for GA collectors and probably all comic collectors. 

7th year in a row and against me and my husbands better judgment like joey said, should be the last. Too few comic dealers, parking was the worst it has been since We have started going.

Since fan expo took over their creator list has turned into cover artists and so few true classic creators or indie creators. Actor list is nothing special and half cancel before con every year anyways. 

This con has turned into a cosplay con at best