• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Canada August 30-September 2, 2018

194 posts in this topic

Hi Guys.  I am new to this.  I have one book that I want Andy Kubert to sign (witnessed by CGC).  Will his line be super long?  And when is the best time to do this?  I will be there on Saturday.  Thank you.

What is the signing schedule for John Byrne this weekend (nothing announced) and will he be signing in the comic signing area or only at a booth? As well, will we get VIP front of the line for him? Most comic artists only seem to be signing at their booths, VIP is not applicable for too many in the comic area this year. 

40 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

What is the signing schedule for John Byrne this weekend (nothing announced) and will he be signing in the comic signing area or only at a booth? As well, will we get VIP front of the line for him? Most comic artists only seem to be signing at their booths, VIP is not applicable for too many in the comic area this year. 

Does anyone know if he's signing Marvel and DC Stuff? Or is it just IDW?? 

Comic Updates Day 2

The following creators did not make it to the show Thursday so we've followed up for Friday:
- Brian Stelfreeze will at the show starting today
- Dale Keown will be at the show starting today after 1:30pm
- Richard Pace - still unconfirmed for today due to illness
- Adam Gorham - due to illness Adam has postponed to Sat/Sun (tentative)
- Fred Kennedy - will be at the show Sat/Sun
- Dylan Burnett - will be at the show starting today

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Today is John Byrne's first day.

He has a number of events with William Shatner in the North Building, so he may not be at his table P001 today.

If he has time and wants to come over he may still do that. The book signing with William Shatner takes place from 3 until finished in the Celebrity Signing Area. Tickets are still available.

Definitely look for him at P001 Sat/Sun - he has two Spotlight Panels - one Saturday and one Sunday, please see the schedule for specific times at room 716B.

RULES

10 items per person or family group per day that he is signing. No exceptions.

No duplicates. No exceptions.

He signs in black sharpie only. No exceptions.

He will only sign items he directly worked on (so no Pop vinyls, statues, action figures, movie posters, DVDs, etc.). No exceptions.

He will sign ANY items he worked on - DC, Marvel, Charlton, Dark Horse, IDW. Contrary to what was put out on social media by others, Mr. Byrne will definitely sign Marvel and DC comics. 

He does not sign items that are to be graded. Please do not ask him to change his mind. No exceptions.

No posed photography during the signing. You can take pictures of him signing. 

He is not sketching. Please don’t ask.

Our rules:

There is no set signing schedule. When he's at P001 he will start signing when the line manager is given the go ahead to proceed. 

VIP will be honoured at P001.  Please identify yourself to the line manager and he will place you accordingly into the line.  

Please ensure all of your items are ready for Mr. Byrne to sign when you reach the front of the line. Out of the bags and boards, books open to the place you want them signed.

Please be respectful when John wishes to take a break, when he does, the line will be notified and the signing will be paused until he is ready to resume. Line will be capped in advance of his panels and resume when he returns from the 700 level.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

Please visit Comic Sketch Art for signing times for guests other than Snyder, Capullo, Kubert (all of whom are in on Saturday and Sunday). P079 (island)

Please visit the RAID section for signing times for different studio members who will be coming in and out over the course of the weekend. P065 (section of the pro area)

Marjorie Liu and Sana Takara will be making an appearance in the signing area each day of the event. Please see schedule.

Daily Schedules are available at the INFO BOOTH. Schedule is updated on the website and the APP 

3 hours ago, Kevin Boyd said:

Comic Updates Day 2

The following creators did not make it to the show Thursday so we've followed up for Friday:
- Brian Stelfreeze will at the show starting today
- Dale Keown will be at the show starting today after 1:30pm
- Richard Pace - still unconfirmed for today due to illness
- Adam Gorham - due to illness Adam has postponed to Sat/Sun (tentative)
- Fred Kennedy - will be at the show Sat/Sun
- Dylan Burnett - will be at the show starting today

David Finch never showed up on Thursday too. Apparently he got stuck in traffic and I was told he completely cancelled the first day. Was a bummer.

Just FYI @Kevin Boyd, I did the John Byrne / William Shatner event today. He was great, but found out he doesn’t even sign the top of CGC slabs (like on the plastic). I thought he’d at least be willing to do that, and it was just witnessed slabbing he wouldn’t do. I even said he could personalize it to me, as it really is for my collection. But he said something like slabbed books are a terrible thing to happen to comics... Sounds like his dislike of slabbed books is pretty deep... 

FWIW, I was going to get my X-Men 121 9.8 (1st Alpha Flight) and X-Men 134 9.6 (Phoenix becomes Dark Phoenix)... was a bit of a bummer, but I was polite about it and didn’t want to push back - wouldn’t have been appropriate. I was hoping to show him that there are real fans who buy slabbed books! 

The Byrne and Shatner signing was difficult to say the least. After an hour and a half waiting to pick up my book and have William Shatner sign the inside cover, we had to go back to the end of the line to get John Byrne's signature (even though he was less than 2 feet away). After waiting an hour and 15 minutes more .....with the line not even moving.... I got out of line and had to do other scheduled tasks. So now I have a book with Shatner and no Byrne.

5 minutes ago, Ron C. said:

The Byrne and Shatner signing was difficult to say the least. After an hour and a half waiting to pick up my book and have William Shatner sign the inside cover, we had to go back to the end of the line to get John Byrne's signature (even though he was less than 2 feet away). After waiting an hour and 15 minutes more .....with the line not even moving.... I got out of line and had to do other scheduled tasks. So now I have a book with Shatner and no Byrne.

Ouch that’s rough... I got there early (around 1:50) so was probably 10th in line or so. For me, the second line thing was a bit odd, although I assumed it was because John (signing second after Shatner) would take a bit more time (+signing 2 additional things)... so if they didn’t do that, would be a bottleneck forming after Shatner and before Byrne anyways, which would be worse. 

For me, that second line for Byrne (which was technically a second line they created for the flow after Shatner, next to the main line) was only about 1min... must’ve kept growing quickly if it hit 1h15+! 

17 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Ouch that’s rough... I got there early (around 1:50) so was probably 10th in line or so. For me, the second line thing was a bit odd, although I assumed it was because John (signing second after Shatner) would take a bit more time (+signing 2 additional things)... so if they didn’t do that, would be a bottleneck forming after Shatner and before Byrne anyways, which would be worse. 

For me, that second line for Byrne (which was technically a second line they created for the flow after Shatner, next to the main line) was only about 1min... must’ve kept growing quickly if it hit 1h15+! 

If you have a VIP pass, you were able to jump any line. I would have loved one of those, but they sold out before I could click purchase. I bought the next level down... which meant I got a t-shirt... and they only had SM, Med or 2XL.

Edited by Ron C.

You guys see the JOCK is pulling? FanExpo sold out of the 30$ Foil 880’s so Jock is selling them for 60$ and still charging the 10$ to sign on top of that.  That’s a really person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move to pull. I honestly don’t know if I can stay a fan of his after that. 

2 hours ago, Canadian Geek said:

You guys see the JOCK is pulling? FanExpo sold out of the 30$ Foil 880’s so Jock is selling them for 60$ and still charging the 10$ to sign on top of that.  That’s a really person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed move to pull. I honestly don’t know if I can stay a fan of his after that. 

Interestingly enough, when I walked past the booth and saw that he had DOUBLED the price I thought "really...?". Then I went out to the fan expo booth and they still had them in stock, the girl was like "we just got more". They absolutely were NOT sold out on Thursday. Wouldn't be surprised if they held back small allocations for each day. Or a lot of people who go just on Saturday and Sunday are going to be rip pissed they can't buy it. Like the funko booth holds back allocations so people can buy some each day.