• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan Expo Canada August 30-September 2, 2018

194 posts in this topic

Jae Lee cancelled last week, yes. I wouldn't say bail, he was pretty miserable about having to make that decision but he has deadlines on a project that he has to meet.

Alex Milne has had to cancel the remainder of the weekend.

I was not at the Byrne/Shatner signing and I'm getting lots of reports. I know a few people who had to cut out early and missed getting their Byrne half of the ticket. Please come by John's table this afternoon or tomorrow and I'll make sure you get what you are owed on your books. I'll likely be at the column, beside John's table managing expectations. so please identify yourself and you'll be placed in the VIP lane. And on that note, please note that we are doing a VIP lane at John's table. Identify yourself as a VIP by displaying your VIP pass and we'll place you near the front of the queue at my half table "base" by the column. Same signing limits and rules apply for all passes, VIP is a line bypass. I'm not expecting John to be there until 1pm because he has a panel with William Shatner later this morning in the North building.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

So the Synder Capullo event was over sold and now it is 415pm and I haven't still made it in to the room essentially wasting my afternoon.

Is this Fan Expo's fault or some else's?

Edited by ignimbrite

6 hours ago, ignimbrite said:

So the Synder Capullo event was over sold and now it is 415pm and I haven't still made it in to the room essentially wasting my afternoon.

Is this Fan Expo's fault or some else's?

So I was at this as well, thought went early enough (around 1:45 for the 2:30 start) that I was 50th in line and got in the first group, but felt bad for the second group. 

What I heard was they had 2 separate 100 ticket signings originally, but then combined into 1x200 without realizing the room only fit 100ppl (agreed that was bad planning). 

After that point, I do think the FXC staff did as good a job as they could with that mistake done (big high five to Constance who I met for the first time today and thought did a good job trying to make the best of a tough situation). Fwiw, they did try to hustle ppl along in the room and make the process as efficient as possible to get 1st room cleared, though agree it probably took about 2hrs all-in for 1st group (I left around 4:15)  and definitely empathize with 2nd group that burned a big chunk of afternoon. 

Kevin, only thing I could suggest having done better (other than not making the mistake of too small room in the first place) was to give the 2nd group of ppl numbered tickets (ie. 1-100) so their place in line was secured and they wouldn’t have to come back early to get in line again. Then they could have at least utilized that time waiting to do something else (and also probably given ppl a more realistic 4pm reconvene time vs 3:30 what they told ppl). 

I think a lot needs to be done differently if that event is to ever happen again.

On the flip side, I thought the Ramos special event was smooth, the Jock event was fantastic, and although I was trapped there for four hours in the afternoon in a spot where my cell phone was a paperweight, the Byrne signing went well. Floor signing seem to be running well. 

Today it's the Kubert sketch event. Another Byrne signing at 11 before his 1pm spotlight. Snyder is signing first thing, Greg, Andy, Jason Fabok and others throughout the day. One final Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda signing at the end of the day.

Edited by Kevin Boyd

I guess we can do a con report:

Thursday started off awesome when my helpers didn't bother to show up until after all the moving in was done.  I've never seen @Guardian Comics slug so many boxes & a huge shout out to his daughter for her help as well.  We had a minor incident with show managers thinking that 10 minutes before the show opened was a good time to do some booth configurations but we quickly squashed that.  Doors opened and there was a feeding frenzy at the Pop booth for the exclusives (kids & adults) were RUNNING to be in line.  Many of them likely haven't run in years and when they didn't get to the line quick enough they were very much disappointed, didn't take Fan Expo more than a couple mornings to lay out the rules of "no running". 

I don't get much time to wander at this con but there seemed to be a good variety of comics throughout the room (from Gold to Modern).  TGH had his mega booth as did Harley.  Ice/B's brought some big books to show off that they had on consignment, CBA had a bunch of golden age bats.  Jim and I brought in major Silver/Bronze Marvel/DC keys and a whack of run books.  Sales on Thursday were great and Friday even better, Saturday was soft all things considered and then we exploded on Sunday.  What were the "hot" books?  Byrne, Byrne, Byrne, Adams and then a bunch of the other artists.  Notable sales from us include AF15, TOS39, Hulk181, ASM129, AV1.

All in all we love this show, though after the 4 days we are dead tired but we always have a good time seeing everyone.  We rebooked again for 2019 and hope to have another record-setting show.

I know. We used to always be on this weekend, but moved to Labour Day because we needed both buildings and couldn't secure them. Something must be going on next year that made this date more attractive than the new normal... but reaction from people is a lot more positive.  I'll miss the day off after next year. 

We won't conflict with Dragon Con for the first time in a long time in 2019.

Edited by Kevin Boyd