• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Miss the days when you could actually trade
2 2

43 posts in this topic

Trading is a lot more difficult these days, but it's also something best done in person. Putting together runs today is nuts. When I started my Avengers run, I bought 15 in one shot, leaving me 102 for the run, not counting specials and Annuals. A complete Avengers run today must be over a thousand books.

Back in 1974, a lot of my friends jumped on the Defenders bandwagon, partially because it was feasible to put a whole run together. What kind today is inspired to assemble a 1,000 book run?

I do trades once in a while. Problem is one side usually wants to dump a bunch of junk "in your favor" to get your good books. I trade with a local guy guide for guide once in a while. I just don't show him any of my "over guide" books or stuff I can sell fast. I still manage to get some cool stuff from him from time to time. 

20 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I do trades once in a while. Problem is one side usually wants to dump a bunch of junk "in your favor" to get your good books. I trade with a local guy guide for guide once in a while. I just don't show him any of my "over guide" books or stuff I can sell fast. I still manage to get some cool stuff from him from time to time. 

Unfortunately most of the people I know local are all in the business of comics. Don't know many actual collectors.

I still trade quite a bit, and I do agree in person is easier. I find I am able to trade with certain business guys at retail for retail as long as I have taken the time to learn their particular local market. For example, I trade with a couple local LCs's that are as much or more gaming stores, and much of their comics markets are the cyclically hot movie keys. But GA sits for them; they trade it happily. 

It took me some time and trial and error, but I have built a network of shops and flippers each with slightly different ideas of "sweet spot" books that they can move. It's enjoyable when you can figure win/wins.

Edited by Readcomix
Clarity

I still trade a bit here.  I put that fact in every one of my sales threads, but am rarely approached.  I usually have to be the one to ask, and it's usually when I'm out of cash.  But it does happen from time to time.

My friends and I traded comics all the time as kids back in the '70s, and it was fairly simple: if somebody had a book I wanted, I had to pony up the right books to get it...and vice-versa. 

Up until a certain point in time, that's all there was to it, and it never had ANYTHING to do with "what the book was worth" monetarily -- I mean, they were all worth the 20 or 25-cents we paid for them, right?   Content/story/art/need-it-for-a-set ruled the day.

Of course, that all went to hell the moment we discovered the OSPG, and a few early comic books stores which were selling back issues for more than cover price...

1 hour ago, Shadow Images said:

Maybe its just my luck but trading just doesn't seem to exist much anymore. Is it people just want keys so just not enough dinosaurs collecting runs. I miss the days when you could get together with a group of collectors and do some trading. 

I think it's that keys have become disproportionately expensive compared to "non" key issues that it's really only key for key trading now.

Trading books has to be tough since one collector has to have what the  other needs and vise virsa at the same time.  And the more vast the collections the harder it gets because wants are very specific.  When we were kids there was a ton of books that were in demand for both people since each person maybe had a long box of books.  Now it just seems to be easier to trade green backs for books.

20 minutes ago, jools&jim said:

My friends and I traded comics all the time as kids back in the '70s, and it was fairly simple: if somebody had a book I wanted, I had to pony up the right books to get it...and vice-versa. 

Up until a certain point in time, that's all there was to it, and it never had ANYTHING to do with "what the book was worth" monetarily -- I mean, they were all worth the 20 or 25-cents we paid for them, right?   Content/story/art/need-it-for-a-set ruled the day.

Of course, that all went to hell the moment we discovered the OSPG, and a few early comic books stores which were selling back issues for more than cover price...

I got my Amazing Fantasy #15 trading as a kid. I had to trade Larry Nichols 3 Batman comics for it. Believe me I had to think it over. Sadly, "my mom threw my comics away" when I moved out of the house...

Speaking for myself (dinosaur run collector), I'm a lousy trade partner because I don't usually have anything I'm willing to give up.  Also, if I'm willing to trade something, I'm probably giving up on the whole title, and want the whole stack to go.

When I gave up on comics in the early 90s (maybe 1991 or 1992), I traded with a guy I knew (who has since become a full-fledged, multi-store owner). I scored a boatload of Commodore 64 gear and software. I made out like a bandit! I had a whole box of games, disk drives, 2 computers, etc. That chump ended up with a bunch of low-grade garbage from me like ASM 5-13, Avengers 4, Daredevil 2-10, JIM 85, and a handful of single digit and low double-digit FFs. I even got him to take a beater IH 181 that I bought off the stands. For some reason he was not interested in my multiple copies of Legends of the Dark Knight 1.

I still have those LDK 1s, if anyone wants to trade for pet rocks or cassingles or beanie babies. PM me!

3 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

When I gave up on comics in the early 90s (maybe 1991 or 1992), I traded with a guy I knew (who has since become a full-fledged, multi-store owner). I scored a boatload of Commodore 64 gear and software. I made out like a bandit! I had a whole box of games, disk drives, 2 computers, etc. That chump ended up with a bunch of low-grade garbage from me like ASM 5-13, Avengers 4, Daredevil 2-10, JIM 85, and a handful of single digit and low double-digit FFs. I even got him to take a beater IH 181 that I bought off the stands. For some reason he was not interested in my multiple copies of Legends of the Dark Knight 1.

I still have those LDK 1s, if anyone wants to trade for pet rocks or cassingles or beanie babies. PM me!

:roflmao:^^

I offer trade at every opportunity I can. I find most are open to trade as long as long as it's only partial and I offer a substantial amount in cash. Yes, you need to have something the other party wants, that goes without saying. I usually point them to my slabbed collection and let them come up with ideas. 

6 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

Will the Walking Dead bubble burst inside of that 31 days, or will it just go down with the rest of the market?

First, there will be a correction in the stock market, the housing bubble will then pop, and people will need to liquidate their assets to stay afloat. 

That's when the comic market will get flooded by speculators holding onto 1000s of variants/Image 1's/special covers/keys, which will in turn crash the market. 

Shortly afterwards, the walking dead viewership will continue to decline until the show gets canceled, and the  walking dead bubble will burst. 

The price of Walking Dead 1 will reach 20 pesos. 

Edited by Wolverinex