• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature Authentication, Known Issue of Forged Mark Bagley Spiderman Signatures

11 posts in this topic

I'm trying to sell several Amazing Spider-Man comics that I purchased over 10 years ago and I noticed there are signatures on a few of them. I've seen other uncertified signatures by Mark Bagley being sold on Ebay that match mine but they look forged since they don't match his signature or any other individual's signature on any CGC Certified copies of Amazing Spider-Man. I've attached a photo, any idea if this is real or fake? If they are fake does that make the comic worthless or just reduce condition greatly.  What would a 9.8 grade be downgraded to due to a forged signature and are there any services that could clean the signature ink off without damaging the cover?20171108_205102-747x1328.thumb.jpg.c8ae649f0ec001c937946b5f2e4da7a9.jpg

This is a signature I got from Mark Bagley in San Diego in 1992 (man, I am OLD...)- 

5a03f1096601f_ASM365closeup.png.1af9a80ac6a63864a1d32a340ce95882.png

So I don't think there are people going around poorly forging Bagley's autograph. If they are, they're trying to fake his exact sig - not making up their own style. I think it's much more likely his preferred way of signing comics changed at some point over his 30 year career. Maybe he switched up his signing style around the time CGC started witnessing/slabbing his sigs? That's just me speculating, though. 

Maybe someone else who knows more about Mark Bagley and his signature can chime in. 

You can always see if CCS can remove it (pressing and restoration/restoration removal services and partner company of CGC).  Or you could go to the competition (CBCS) and see if they can red-label grade it wherein they use a 3rd party antique/celebrity autograph certification service to verify the signature

10 hours ago, Douglas M. Haus said:

You can always see if CCS can remove it (pressing and restoration/restoration removal services and partner company of CGC).  Or you could go to the competition (CBCS) and see if they can red-label grade it wherein they use a 3rd party antique/celebrity autograph certification service to verify the signature

Or you can buy one for a nickel and get Mark Bagley to sign it.

On 11/10/2017 at 3:19 AM, seanfingh said:

Why would anyone clean ink off a book you can get in any 3 for a dollar bin???

Haha, one of them is Amazing Spiderman 361 in 9.6/9.8 condition which could be worth over $250 based on what it's selling for on ebay CGC certified.  Thanks for all the advice, the signatures look legitimate, I only questioned it b/c when I was stupid kid 23 years ago i used to forge signatures on a few of my worthless comic books.

1 hour ago, Flanders82 said:

Haha, one of them is Amazing Spiderman 361 in 9.6/9.8 condition which could be worth over $250 based on what it's selling for on ebay CGC certified.  Thanks for all the advice, the signatures look legitimate, I only questioned it b/c when I was stupid kid 23 years ago i used to forge signatures on a few of my worthless comic books.

Well the one you pictured was a 3 for a dollar book...that's probably why he said that. 

There's no chance of getting that ink off of that cover, and that doesn't look at all like Bagley's signature. 

On 11/12/2017 at 7:57 PM, comix4fun said:

Well the one you pictured was a 3 for a dollar book...that's probably why he said that. 

There's no chance of getting that ink off of that cover, and that doesn't look at all like Bagley's signature. 

I think that's just is "old signature" ... not a forgery.

1 hour ago, RadiantGraphix said:

I think that's just is "old signature" ... not a forgery.

Entirely possible. I've seen his sig at various times since the 90's and it could vary especially if he signed it a convention or something.