• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #1 Cover color proof - ComicConnect

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comicwiz said:

I'd imagine unless you are hanging it outdoors in direct sunlight, it should be no different than the fading a family photo print or a watercolour painting would experience hanging on the wall of a persons home.

Exactly so. And watercolor is inherently more likely to fade than most other painting methods.
Expecially the case for older formulations of watercolor.

All for what it's worth...

On 2017-11-11 at 7:15 AM, JadeGiant said:

Anyone have predictions on price? I think it was Gene that said an Action 1 in 1.0 condition would be more valuable - what do those go for?

I don't care what you want to call it (OA or not), I find this piece to be very intriguing as an artifact form the creation of probably the most important comic ever produced. I am sure, as such, that it will fetch a very handsome price. 

If something similar for Hulk 1 popped up for auction I would be very interested in owning it regardless the the label you wanted to put on it. 

Exactly.   I think people that have collected toys and such probably have an easier time categorizing it.   It’s a ‘pre production’ (toyspeak) item for freaking action 1.   That’s patently amazing in and of itself.   It’s akin to a production prototype.     For the pure comics guys, it’s a vintage print of the a1 cover - a big deal there alone.   

I can understand some passing it by with a ‘meh’ but that’s surely a matter of frame of mind and or price.     For 1000 bucks there isn’t a comic guy alive who wouldn’t buy it and isn’t a liar.    Guys with the frame of mind to appreciate pre production items outside of OA, which are far more prized in other collecting circles, will prize it far more than comic collectors who see things in binary comic/oa terms.    

Heck, anyone with an open mind IMO can see it’s a fabulous artifact.    Just a matter of how much does one want or have to pay for it.    

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

Exactly.   I think people that have collected toys and such probably have an easier time categorizing it.   It’s a ‘pre production’ (toyspeak) item for freaking action 1.   That’s patently amazing in and of itself.   It’s akin to a production prototype.     For the pure comics guys, it’s a vintage print of the a1 cover - a big deal there alone.   

I can understand some passing it by with a ‘meh’ but that’s surely a matter of frame of mind and or price.     For 1000 bucks there isn’t a comic guy alive who wouldn’t buy it and isn’t a liar.    Guys with the frame of mind to appreciate pre production items outside of OA, which are far more prized in other collecting circles, will prize it far more than comic collectors who see things in binary comic/oa terms.    

Heck, anyone with an open mind IMO can see it’s a fabulous artifact.    Just a matter of how much does one want or have to pay for it.    

I'm impressed by it - it just isn't a piece of 'original art.' Those that would rather have an Action #1 1.0... I'm not so sure about that.

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I don't think anyone's saying that it's not important and historic and a great artifact of an era and a comic that created a seismic shift in pop culture that's still felt to this day. 

I think the resistance came from the comment about how this had to be worth more than a mid grade Action #1....and a mid-grade Action #1 is over a million bucks at this point.

So, of course, everyone's in on this one for $1k....maybe even for $10k.....but those numbers are a far cry from the $1 million plus a mid-grade Action #1 garners, especially without a mature market for these types of items already driving and supporting auction and sale results anywhere near that number. 

Edited by comix4fun

22 hours ago, comix4fun said:

So, of course, everyone's in on this one for $1k....

Not me. I'd be out at $250. Seriously. Not even sure about that the more I think on it. Speaking as a keeper though, not a spec/flip.

22 minutes ago, vodou said:

Not me. I'd be out at $250. Seriously. Not even sure about that the more I think on it. Speaking as a keeper though, not a spec/flip.

This is probably the most extreme statement I've seen in this thread. $250 isn't even walking around money in this hobby. I'm a small fry that rarely ever even got into DC cape comics, let alone DC OA and I wouldn't pass it by at any such price... basically any price that wouldn't force me to sell something else or sacrifice my pursuit of something I wanted more.

39 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

This is probably the most extreme statement I've seen in this thread. $250 isn't even walking around money in this hobby. I'm a small fry that rarely ever even got into DC cape comics, let alone DC OA and I wouldn't pass it by at any such price... basically any price that wouldn't force me to sell something else or sacrifice my pursuit of something I wanted more.

Yes it is the most extreme. This 'thing' (even that is a compliment imo) is a total zero. $250 is now off the table lol

9 hours ago, cstojano said:

With every passing comment I get this sense of heavy hitters -ing on this piece to kill competition...I mean no one seriously interested would be talking this piece up right. The more you all deny, the more I believe ;)

Not me, I hit the can very early yesterday morning, one-and-done. All honesty after that. But I'm not a heavy-hitter either :)

This will go for decent but not shocking money imo, if there's no reserve/protection to artificially skew much higher than organic bidding. Low six figures, maybe just under? Like those GA Timely covers, Cap, Blonde Phantom, etc that HA had last year or 2015 (them years just blend together lol ) Good final money all of 'em, but not (hobby) headline-making.

14 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't understand why those who are championing this Action #1 colour mock up simply can't understand that many OA collectors collect based on nostalgia.  My collecting is driven by nostalgia.  Action Comics #1 holds no nostalgic notes with me.  This colour mock up even less so.  

When someone says their bid would top out at $250 for this piece, I believe them.  Heck, their top bid would be $2.5x what I'd be willing to pay.

35 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't understand why those who are championing this Action #1 colour mock up simply can't understand that many OA collectors collect based on nostalgia.  My collecting is driven by nostalgia.  Action Comics #1 holds no nostalgic notes with me.  This colour mock up even less so.  

When someone says their bid would top out at $250 for this piece, I believe them.  Heck, their top bid would be $2.5x what I'd be willing to pay.

I didn't say I don't understand why people aren't interested in it as OA collectors - I literally argued it wasn't OA over the last two pages of this thread.

On 11/9/2017 at 11:45 AM, Hekla said:

Most likely the only art (original or production) related to one of the most important comics of all time - thoughts?

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=744965

On 11/9/2017 at 6:47 PM, vodou said:

More of a comics collectible than comic art. I'm not surprised those in this corner aren't that excited, but the comics general folks should be.

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

23 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I didn't say I don't understand why people aren't interested in it as OA collectors - I literally argued it wasn't OA over the last two pages of this thread.

It's not the only OA or OAish Action #1 item out there, as mentioned 'out there' are three original panels from the (pre-Action #1) proposed Superman daily that were re-purposed for Action #1. Last public appearance, that I'm aware of, was a Sotheby's early 90s sale, reserve not met but later (reportedly by very good sources) sold for $100k within hours or a day or two of auction close.

Likewise, per my quoted comment above, we're in OA here and it's not defined as OA by the hobby at large, so the interest level and interest to spend here are both going to be muted. At best. My interest and JJJ's are worse than muted. And so it goes ;) 

11 minutes ago, vodou said:

It's not the only OA or OAish Action #1 item out there, as mentioned 'out there' are three original panels from the (pre-Action #1) proposed Superman daily that were re-purposed for Action #1. Last public appearance, that I'm aware of, was a Sotheby's early 90s sale, reserve not met but later (reportedly by very good sources) sold for $100k within hours or a day or two of auction close.

Likewise, per my quoted comment above, we're in OA here and it's not defined as OA by the hobby at large, so the interest level and interest to spend here are both going to be muted. At best. My interest and JJJ's are worse than muted. And so it goes ;) 

I get it, I wouldn't pay much for it either - I have some small Curt Swan-based Superman nostalgia, and a bit more from the 78 movie but that is about it. 

At this point I'm just curious to see what it actually does go for.

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I tend to take a broader view of the term "nostalgia" - items like Action #1 or the T-206 Wagner or '52 Topps Mantle baseball cards I think transcend the kind of direct nostalgia gained from buying these items when new.  Instead, as a collector of comic books or baseball cards at an early age, you quickly learn which items are at the pinnacle of the hobby, and so every generation maintains some link to these top items at least.  Perhaps that connection weakens slowly over time, but, it's still there as far as I can tell; I believe that one can still be nostalgic for Action #1 just from coveting what you were told/learned was considered the best when one was a young collector. 

In any case, though, I think this colored test proof is a far cry from a real Action #1.  People think this is a 6-figure item?  Forget about mid-grade, I'd take a ragged blue label copy or nice restored copy any day over something like this, and I suspect that people who actually want an Action #1 would too. 2c