• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Missing page

21 posts in this topic

For an average comic an absolutely perfect copy with a missing page should be priced around one half of good.

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever seen a Green label book with a missing page.  Seems like too substantial a defect to qualify for a Green label, although perhaps if the book was otherwise ultra high grade. hm

Just now, Robot Man said:
8 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I'm trying to remember whether I've ever seen a Green label book with a missing page.  Seems like too substantial a defect to qualify for a Green label, although perhaps if the book was otherwise ultra high grade. hm

Perhaps an ad page?

That's a good point.  An ad page that didn't affect a story might make it.  Certainly there are a ton of Green labels with missing coupons. 

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

That's a good point.  An ad page that didn't affect a story might make it.  Certainly there are a ton of Green labels with missing coupons. 

You're right, guys. I've seen a couple DD #1's with the last (non-story) page missing that were slabbed in a green label. Noticed them in Heritage results when I was trying to guesstimate value of a DD#1, same page missing, for a friend who had traded for one. Called CGC and asked and I recall they said it could go either way, .5 blue or green label with apparent grade, but I do note call the exact reasons for which they make the call. But the short answer is yes.

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I can't recall any exact books, but I'm fairly sure I've seen more than a few books with missing pages get qualified labels.

As to value - it would depend a lot on other circumstances - even if it is a missing story page. What is the condition of the book otherwise? is it's value tied up in a classic cover? if the content is what makes the book valuable, is the page missing from the key feature or a back up story with a character no one cares much about?   This is one of those questions like how does restoration effect the value of a book that can't really be answered in a general sense.

3 hours ago, MrBedrock said:

For an average comic an absolutely perfect copy with a missing page should be priced around one half of good.

Average from what era? I'm sure one could get far more than half good for an average GA superhero book that looks high grade, but is missing a page. Coverless copies of GA books can fetch 20-25% of GD value. Marry the wrap with the missing page to a NM looking copy and you have a book that will probably fetch midgrade value.

16 hours ago, rjpb said:

I can't recall any exact books, but I'm fairly sure I've seen more than a few books with missing pages get qualified labels.

As to value - it would depend a lot on other circumstances - even if it is a missing story page. What is the condition of the book otherwise? is it's value tied up in a classic cover? if the content is what makes the book valuable, is the page missing from the key feature or a back up story with a character no one cares much about?   This is one of those questions like how does restoration effect the value of a book that can't really be answered in a general sense.

But were any of these books missing a page that affected a story?  

In the late '90s I came across a collection here in Chicago.  Cap 1 up, Batman 1 up, Supes 2 up.  All looked like G/VGs (the Bat 1 was only a fair).  The owner (and his brother when they were kids) had clipped out every ad page in every book.  I almost bought the collection but the owner decided to keep it.  Subsequently the entire collection was pulped when their basement flooded.  I valued the books at that time at half-good.  When I mentioned this to Steve B a few years later, he said I got it right.   .5 was the best he could do unless I wanted green labels.