• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No grader notes for an 8.0?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I realize CGC isn't obligated to supply notes, but it seems kind of odd that an 8.0 doesn't have any. Surely this isn't typical.

In my opinion. If they charge(and they do) for graders notes, then they should be thorough and give a detailed reason why they came to the grade they did.

3 hours ago, oakman29 said:

In my opinion. If they charge(and they do) for graders notes, then they should be thorough and give a detailed reason why they came to the grade they did.

Especially with an 8.0.  I've gotten some books back that are 9.6 and I just assume a couple of basic defects but an 8.0 is more involved.  I would say 70% of the books I've looked up, graded in 2011, have no notes.  

13 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I would say 70% of the books I've looked up, graded in 2011, have no notes.  

Interesting. I avoid all 2011 graded books because CGC was extremely loose at that time, didn't realize they backed off on notes also. Must have been an emphasis on revenue.

5 hours ago, Gaard said:

Graded a few days ago - haven't even received the package yet. FF53 graded universal 8.0 with no notes.

That definitely is strange.  Have you called CGC?  They may have them but haven't added them yet.  I don't know how their process works but it may just be an accident.

I just got off the phone with Dean. I explained it to him, and he said that it isn't unusual at all. That sometimes there is just an internal conversation between graders and nothing is written down.

Kinda goes against what I had been led to believe in the past, that there is no communication between graders so there can't be any kind of influence between them.

14 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Interesting. I avoid all 2011 graded books because CGC was extremely loose at that time, didn't realize they backed off on notes also. Must have been an emphasis on revenue.

That year, CGC was flooded with over ten thousand ungraded comic books before the price was increased. CGC was seriously understaffed and was overwhelmed. They didn't have time for the notes.  You may take advantage of their flawed grades.

47 minutes ago, Gaard said:

Kinda goes against what I had been led to believe in the past, that there is no communication between graders so there can't be any kind of influence between them.

Where did you hear that there is no communication between graders ? There is suppose to be communication between graders. Maybe you are thinking there is no communication between CCS and the graders, which they claim is true. If you really think about it, it's all so ridiculous about the no communication concept. I mean they probably all take a smoke break together. Of course they talk shop. 

I don't think they take the notes as seriously as we would like them to. I've seen notes start and stop in mid sentence. Notes are rarely complete and comprehensive. Sometimes they stop listing flaws because there are just too many or it wouldn't make a difference in the grade anyway. Example, perhaps a book has a crease but there is also a big stain on the Back cover. The stain overrides the crease, it doesn't matter if the crease is there or not. So there is no mention of the stain in the notes. Looking at the big picture, TAT's and such, this makes sense. The revenue from the notes is not as important so why put more effort into them. It is what it is. They probably assumed this specific 8.0 was obviously an 8.0, with all flaws visible.

9 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Well if they are going to charge for them, they should take them as seriously as we do.

Just saying....

That makes a ton of sense. The other guys don't charge and I've never seen a book that didn't have any (not saying there aren't any, just I've never seen any).

Also, this is from CGC's website...

" After being examined by a restoration detection professional, the comic books are placed in barcoded mylar sleeves, and separated from their original invoice. This step is taken to ensure that graders do not know whose books they are grading, as a further guarantee of impartiality.

The book’s pages are then counted and any peculiarities or flaws that may affect a book’s grade are entered into the computer. Some examples of this would be “a tear on third page,” “a corner crease – does not break color,” “a ¼” inch spine split,” and so forth. When the grader examines the comic, he is not able to see a previously assigned grade, so as to not influence his own evaluation. After determining his own grade for the comic, he can then view the Grader Notes entered by a previous grader, and he may add to this commentary if he believes more remarks are in order.

Another restoration check is performed before assigning a grade. If all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade.  If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made. The book is then forwarded to the Encapsulation Department for sealing."

I was a little confused. The graders aren't supposed to talk about the book while it's being graded. But after it's been graded, it seems then they do discuss it.

On 11/11/2017 at 6:45 AM, Gaard said:

That makes a ton of sense. The other guys don't charge and I've never seen a book that didn't have any (not saying there aren't any, just I've never seen any).

Also, this is from CGC's website...

" After being examined by a restoration detection professional, the comic books are placed in barcoded mylar sleeves, and separated from their original invoice. This step is taken to ensure that graders do not know whose books they are grading, as a further guarantee of impartiality.

The book’s pages are then counted and any peculiarities or flaws that may affect a book’s grade are entered into the computer. Some examples of this would be “a tear on third page,” “a corner crease – does not break color,” “a ¼” inch spine split,” and so forth. When the grader examines the comic, he is not able to see a previously assigned grade, so as to not influence his own evaluation. After determining his own grade for the comic, he can then view the Grader Notes entered by a previous grader, and he may add to this commentary if he believes more remarks are in order.

Another restoration check is performed before assigning a grade. If all grades are in agreement or are very close, the book will be assigned a final grade.  If there is disagreement among the graders, there will be a discussion with other graders until a final determination is made. The book is then forwarded to the Encapsulation Department for sealing."

I was a little confused. The graders aren't supposed to talk about the book while it's being graded. But after it's been graded, it seems then they do discuss it.

Sorry, but I think you are misreading this. It says the second grader does not see what the first grader said until after he enters his grade. At this point the grade is not finalized and the graders can discuss. The graders do not assign the final grade, the finalizer does. He can completely override the graders .