• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dark Knight Returns #4 $1200 Book?!?
2 2

18 posts in this topic

I've always just missed big stuff: could've seen bands like Nirvana and The Replacements with just a couple of people in the audience before they broke big. But I just missed it. For a variety of reasons. 

But not comics in the early to mid 80s. I was there as daredevil, watchmen and swamp thing, batsman year one, and dark knight came out month after month. 

It was awsome.

But back from my reverie and to your question Have no idea what dkr #4 9.8 is worth. 

I paid about 525$ for #1 in 9.6 SS with Miller and Janson. (Bought from a boardie?) Forgot what I paid for blue label #1 9.8.  Both first printings. Both bought about a year ago. And I have many, many copies of the 1-4 run raw. It's hard to see them and not want to buy them and give them a home. 

Edited by NoMan

3 and 4 were always, ALWAYS easy books to find (1 and 2 were "wall books", I think around $40 and $25, respectively, when I started collecting in the late 80's). Especially #4 -- they were in back issue bins everywhere for cover price for years. It's been baffling to me that there's any demand for these, but the last few years have sparked interest with the "final" BvS fight, re-intro of Carrie Kelly, death of Joker, etc. going on in those two books.

Anyway, I know because of the scary rumors of Frank's declining health over the last few years, there were pretty much no new opportunities for SS copies and even now that he's doing a handful of signings, I think there's probably still a heightened sensitivity on the part of collectors as to how finite the possibility of getting an authenticated/slabbed Miller sig is.

I'd rather have a DD 181, though.

On 11/10/2017 at 12:54 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

3 and 4 were always, ALWAYS easy books to find (1 and 2 were "wall books", I think around $40 and $25, respectively, when I started collecting in the late 80's). Especially #4 -- they were in back issue bins everywhere for cover price for years. It's been baffling to me that there's any demand for these, but the last few years have sparked interest with the "final" BvS fight, re-intro of Carrie Kelly, death of Joker, etc. going on in those two books.

Anyway, I know because of the scary rumors of Frank's declining health over the last few years, there were pretty much no new opportunities for SS copies and even now that he's doing a handful of signings, I think there's probably still a heightened sensitivity on the part of collectors as to how finite the possibility of getting an authenticated/slabbed Miller sig is.

I'd rather have a DD 181, though.

Shoulda bought a few dozen of 'em :grin:

5 hours ago, oakman29 said:

Not 1200.00 best. (shrug)

Maybe there are time travelers from the future... I remember a few tv shows like so... the sellers also time travelers knowing the potential value and buyers knowing even at $1200 it's a steal...

Edited by story cover & art by...

24 minutes ago, Carl Elvis said:

That price is insane, they are basically paying $1,000 for signatures. Go to a con lol.

Exactly.  Based upon cost to create, you could get 3 of them done for the cost of the one SS book.  There is something to be said for the value of not having to wait, no risk of grade drop etc., but that is one of the widest spreads I have seen in 10 years of doing SS.

Totally unrelated topic I have a 9.8 signed by Miller and Janson if anyone's looking.... :whistle:

I'll even throw in free shipping, lol 

I looked into this last year. It's because it's a CGC book. Miller only deals with one guy who does all his CGC books and gives them directly to CGC for him.The cost of getting a CGC 9.8 opened signed and recased was $250.00 !!!! per book before shipping and tax.  So that's why signed CGC 's sell for so much.