• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Watched 9 of 10 episodes so far. Reminds me of Dark Phoenix and Harry Potter in a good way. Good use of 1970s and 80s music. :nyah: Recommended.

That building dance scene in Episode 1 to Tiffany was really a sharp little touch. I had to watch it twice to catch all the character spots throughout each room.

Into episode 2 and geezus is it slow to develop...downright boring....tell me this thing picks up....

Episode 3...maybe i should read the comic for some fleshing out of the characters.

Edited by krighton

Just finished - above is correct end of  ep 2, ep 3 + start of 4 is a little slow - but necessary. It's all vital later on.

Gotta say - it was bloody brilliant.

Very solid 9/10 and can't wait for season 2

Great story, well paced on the whole and brilliant tunes

A show that gets the watchers to exclaim 'holy ****' more than once is doing something right

Highly recommended!

Edited by Beige

My daughter surprised me last night and said she watched the entire season this last weekend.  She normally doesn't like these type of shows but loved it.  I've not even started it yet but it's on my list.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:31 PM, krighton said:

Into episode 2 and geezus is it slow to develop...downright boring....tell me this thing picks up....

Episode 3...maybe i should read the comic for some fleshing out of the characters.

You really are missing out on a great show. That's a shame. And I never read the comic books.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

You really are missing out on a great show. That's a shame. And I never read the comic books.

i haven't given up..im having difficulty getting the wife to watch it...early episodes just aren't riveting enough i guess....im sure it's worth the investment of time. Took me a couple episodes to get into Travelers and enjoyed that one.

Enjoyed the series overall. They really made up for the slow eps 2-4 with the way they finished. It was finished off well enough that it allowed me to overlook some of the silly horror movie logic/lobotomized character moments and one major utter thematic cop out towards the end.

23 minutes ago, krighton said:

i haven't given up..im having difficulty getting the wife to watch it...early episodes just aren't riveting enough i guess....im sure it's worth the investment of time. Took me a couple episodes to get into Travelers and enjoyed that one.

After the first few episodes it seemed to pick up steam. I guess they wanted to ease people into this world before moving too quickly. I was okay with that.

Gerard Way's writing really worked it's way through to the screen quite well. Some of Ba's visual elements too, but it felt to me like they were respectful for the most part to Way's writing. 

i struggled through, hit the FF through some of the 1 on 1 dialogue that just seemed to weigh down the momentum.  I like time travel shows so not finishing wasn't an option.  Wish there was more of 5 when he was working for the time travel police and much much less of sad and mopey ellen page, though she has mastered the art of being depressed and woeful and having read some of her interviews i don't think her acting was much of a stretch from her everyday life.

It's telling when i was looking forward to more bird watching talk between Hazel and donut lady than 7s struggles.

Viewers are alot more savvy than the writers gave them credit for, and thought some of the 'stunning' reveals were spoon fed too early.  Still,  ill watch season 2 if there is one.

7/10

Edited by krighton

The good acting goes a long way. I’m stoked series are now attracting some good talent, and it’s no longer seen as a guaranteed step towards irrelevancy for actors/actresses...

If anything it gives them street cred with the audiences and can be good for careers. Doesn’t hurt if the series is a hit some of them are seeing record breaking paydays too...

Edited by Callaway29