• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

I thought it was pretty good.  But I also felt like it wasn't full throttle, like someone was holding it back all season instead of letting it run full steam.

I also agree with a lot of stuff being telegraphed.

With all those negatives though, I still thought it was good, 2nd half of the show was much better than the 1st.

Although the sub title of the show should be: emo X-Men

7/10

The Umbrella Academy Was Reportedly a Big Hit for Netflix

In the same month that the streaming service finally cancelled its remaining Marvel series, The Punisher and Jessica Jones, it's reportedly had a huge amount of success with its new superhero show The Umbrella Academy, an adaptation of Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá's comic book series of the same name.

Data firm Parrot Analytics (via Screen Rant) claims that The Umbrella Academy is currently the top digital original series in the US, with a "demand expression" of 30.77 million. A chart accompanied the new report, showing that The Umbrella Academywas sitting in the top 0.03 percent of all TV shows and indicating "widespread global demand."

On 2/18/2019 at 10:16 AM, 01TheDude said:

One thing I noticed is they kept mentioning something about a bullet or fingerprint from 1938 -- so maybe they are going way back in time.

Spoiler

My thoughts about that are that Cha Cha and Hazel were bringing ammunition with them from whatever year they were in.  

Wow what a show. Really well done. U mean to tell me Marvel couldn't get it done with 5 Netflix shows and Gerard did?? Congrats!!

finished ep 2 (nice appearance by Mary J Blige!) and really loving everything here. Nooooooooo complaints

i think if this was made into a movie there would be far more awareness as I cannot imagine this failing at the box office. 

5 stars. Really

I thought the first episode was a little slow, then things really got interesting fast.  But by the last couple of episodes, the series ran out of steam, IMHO.  Didn't like the ending that much either.   Giving this a B-/C+.

I thought Aidan Gallagher (Number 5) did a tremendous job.  Very impressive.  My next favorite character was Klaus.  

On 3/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, bb8 said:
On 2/23/2019 at 5:15 PM, fastballspecial said:

Being a lover of music I thought the beginning of the first episode was spectacular.

The music through the whole season was great. Whoever picked the songs did a great job.

I agree I enjoyed the first season entirely. I could nitpick with Vanya, but who cares. The music was 
fantastic. I don't think I have ever seen a show with such good music. Look forward to next 
season.

Really enjoyed the series as I have never read the comic but now I want to read that too. Might have to go with the TPB though as prices are skyrocketing

Edited by ianh

14 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree I enjoyed the first season entirely. I could nitpick with Vanya, but who cares. The music was 
fantastic. I don't think I have ever seen a show with such good music. Look forward to next 
season.

Solid soundtrack picks. But that first episode Tiffany scene was fun.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, fastballspecial said:

season.

I, too, was jonesing for a fix now that I had finished watching all the Netflix Marvel series and had no other show left to fill the void so I caught the preview trailer by accident while scrolling through the listings in Netflix and paused while taking a spoon of ice cream.  Now I understand why Netflix does the auto preview.  It hooked me so I began watching it 1-2 episodes a night.  I got into it and was fascinated by the way it just felt so much more like what I didn't get from the X-men movies which was the early development and breaking in of the students at the academy. It captured all the psychological orphan child to adolescent to adult growing pains, angst, and longing to belong that led them to the screwed up messes they have become.  The main problem I had with the whole thing was there was that it did ultimately end up being too much like the X-men.  There was also too much back and forth with both flashbacks and time travel that while it made for a fun intellectual exercise, it just annoyed me when I was ready for the plot to move forward but had to sit through more character development that didn't really end up playing a major significance in the story.  I also hated how predictable many of the plot twists and turns ended up probably because I'd already seen it/read it before in Pulp Fiction, X-men, X-Factor, New Mutants, X-Force, x-cetra. 

Spoiler

I think we all knew Vanya had latent hidden or repressed powers by the time they explained her not "being special" and never showed her early development other than to emphasize her normalcy.  And by the time we saw the apocalypse scenes I think it was pretty easy to guess who might have been the cause.  I think we all probably knew Klaus was a summoner that had the ability to summon ghosts and then grant them physical attributes at least by the time we saw that Ben (who probably had the coolest power of them all) was one of his regulars.  I mean, come on.  You seriously expect us to believe you'd kill off perhaps the most CGI awesome one of the bunch and never show his powers again?  That's a great way to save on production budget but what a let down that would have been.  So yeah, I was like hurry up and get sober already so we can see Ben kick some time mercs.  And what the hell was up with that beast dude not being able to defeat that 1 time merc dude when they attacked the mansion.  Those guys are not supposed to have super powers but they were holding their own against members of the Academy like they had powers of their own.  Maybe that's explained more in the comics and coming season.  And we probably all knew Vanya's douchy boyfriend had some ulterior motive and was eventually going to be a pivotal piece but nice job killing him off prematurely to try and throw us off and make it less predictable.  I will give them props for trying but at that point you knew that the ONLY reason that Vanya would go nuclear is if she felt betrayed, alienated and unloved by the only family she ever knew and trusted.  And from that point until the end of the movie it was one constant face-palm scene to another of how much the writers forced each of the characters to betray and alienate her.  Kinda like that Austin Powers scene where that henchman is yelling "STOP" standing 20 ft from the steamroller Austin Powers is driving at him while Austin motions for him to move out of the way until 15 seconds later he finally runs him over.  kinda like that but not as funny and 3 episodes too long.

But aside from the predictability and overwhelming similarities, I actually did like it.  I felt like had I seen this before reading/seeing any X-men comics/movies, I would think it was a better way to kick off the X-men franchise.  Maybe that's how Marvel would have done it if they had had the rights instead of Fox.  Maybe that's how they'll try to do a reboot.  Anyways, I'm ready for more Umbrella Academy in Season 2 but just hope they take a more original less predictable route.