• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY (2018)
3 3

152 posts in this topic

In its first quarter earnings report today, the streaming company has revealed that in the first four weeks on the service, Gerard Way and Gabriel Bá’s comic book adaptation was watched by 45M million households.

:whatthe::whatthe::whatthe:

How More Than 200 People Helped Make ‘Umbrella Academy’s’ CGI Ape

uap_0152hf_0220_18.1170_inset.jpg?resize

uap_0152hf_0220_196.1170.jpg?resize=960,

Pogo, a father figure to the super-powered children at the heart of the Netflix series, was a definite figure of sympathy. He was also, according to visual effects supervisor Everett Burrell, “a really scary point for production” — which was why, of all the production entities involved with the show, Weta Digital was brought on first.

Weta Digital, of course, is the legendary VFX company which brought to life Middle Earth for Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. Since its founding, it has been instrumental to countless films, including the “Planet of the Apes” saga — but doing TV is a quite rare thing for the company to take on. Initially, Blackman heard suggestions that Pogo be performed by an actor in a prosthetic suit, but then he considered “Planet of the Apes” and the great work that Weta had done for those films. “But people said, ‘Well, Weta doesn’t really do TV,'” he said. “I’m like, ‘Well, why not?'”

Blackman didn’t actually know how many Weta artists worked to make Pogo come to life — when IndieWire told him it was 220 people, focusing on various aspects of the character, he was amazed. “I knew it was a lot, but that put a big smile on my face,” he said. “I can’t believe that many people made this character. That’s why it was so perfect. They just put so much love and team effort into it. They birthed this character with us.”

Never once, Blackman said, did Weta tell the writers that something they scripted for Pogo would be impossible. “They never came back to us once. Whatever we wrote, Weta accomplished. They never used the word can’t ever in the process. Whatever I asked, whatever I put in the -script or the writers put in the -script, they delivered on. They were that good,” he said.

Finally got around to watching this and loved it. The dance scene from ep 1 makes me smile every time I see it. Thought all the actors were great, but especially the kid that plays Number 5. I was fully immersed in him being an old soul in a young body and never got that "kid pretending to be an adult" that you sometimes get with situations such as these. 

Can't wait for Season 2

A new batch of photos from The Umbrella Academy season 2 has been released, and shows the Hargreeves family living out their lives in the 1960s. Season 2 of the hit Netflix show will be released on July 31, and these photos show where and, more importantly, when the Hargreeves family ended up after the season 1 cliffhanger ending.

The Umbrella Academy is based on the comic books by Gerard Way and artist Gabriel Ba. Season 1 introduced the Hargreeves family, a group of seven children all born miraculously on the same day and at the same time, to mothers who weren't pregnant until the birth happened. They are seven out of 43 children born on the day, and are adopted by billionaire Sir Reginald Hargreeves. Due to their special powers, Hargreeves turns the children into a superhero team for hire, but by the time they reach adulthood, they have split up and are living separate lives. Season 1 follows the family as they reunite after the death of Hargreeves, and attempt to solve what happened, as well as stop the apocalypse, which is revealed to be caused by one of their own, Vanya. The season ends on a cliffhanger, with all of the Hargreeves travelling back in time to an unknown year and location.

The-Umbrella-Academy-Season-2-Allison.jp

The-Umbrella-Academy-Season-2-Five.jpg?q

The-Umbrella-Academy-Season-2-Klaus.jpg?

we are re-watching season 1 in anticipation.

The show vexes me, the actors/characters are so strong and the show seems all character driven but the story is not really even there. Or maybe it is more there than I recall, we will see I guess. The withholding of information makes the construction of the show too obvious in my opinion, but Klaus, Diego, Allison are so good it doesn't quite matter.

It's started! - Binge watch here I come.

Comfy chair - check

Huge spliff - check

Phone off - check

Here we go!

We are about 4 episodes in and although it seems to be moving slower then the 1st season it’s very well written.  Needs more action in a hurry

Up to Episode 6, and like how they are pulling together such a solid time travel story balanced across multiple characters. And keeping it very interesting throughout.

5 is a hardcore killer. His board meeting scene is crazy-entertaining. And the soundtrack is great across all the episodes.

Watching this for the first time now... I’m on 1-5

never read the books so this is all new to me 

Edited by Buzzetta